Skip to main content

Copyrighting

Submitted by tomcat on
Forum

Hi evryone,
I just finished my online portfolio and was about to upload it. Instead I've decided to ask about copyrighting. I f anyone knows anything on the subject please shed some light on the subject.

Thanks in advance_

Tomcat.

Submitted by rgsymons on Thu, 14/08/03 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Hi Tomcat,

whenever you create anything at all you automatically have copyright protection under Australian law.

Even so, it is best to label items that you beleive are commercially exploitable, eg. (c) Copyright 2003 Tomcat

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by Red 5 on Thu, 14/08/03 - 6:52 PM Permalink

tomcat, a simple way to prove you have ownership (in case there's ever any doubt) make hard copies of your work, put it into an envelope, seal it and post it to yourself. Once it has the official post office date stamp on it and the package remains sealed it'll supposedly hold up in court.

Submitted by sho nuff on Thu, 14/08/03 - 9:35 PM Permalink

but what if u own a p.o stamp and resealable envelope?

Submitted by Red 5 on Thu, 14/08/03 - 10:01 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by sho-nuff

Good point... I just stated what an accountant told me a few years ago. Maybe you'd have to have the package stored somewhere (like a solicitors office) where you can't have access to it... just guessing :)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 14/08/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

send via registered post and you will have a time stamp on the letter [:)] that way your date will be earlier than anyone else and huzzah you win!!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 15/08/03 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Then you get to court, open your envelope and discover that you pic is gone, replaced by a stale donut.

Curse you Ausralia Post

Pantmonger

Submitted by rgsymons on Fri, 15/08/03 - 4:05 AM Permalink

mmmm... donuts...

As said, you can rely on the copyright legislation for protection by stating the (c) clause...

If you think you are likely to be ripped off and really need to protect the work then you certainly can lodge designs, etc.. Try looking here, it fully explains copyright/trademarks/designs/etc:

http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by tomcat on Fri, 15/08/03 - 5:28 AM Permalink

Thanks Guys.

I think I will post it to myself using registered mail.

Thanks again for all your help.
Tomcat

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 15/08/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

If you get donuts do we get a share?

Submitted by sho nuff on Sat, 16/08/03 - 2:32 AM Permalink

i was always told that a sig on ur work was all u needed. But validating it through the p.o service sounds more legit. But i do know that copyright laws are different for each country, so what might hold up in one place, might not do so in another. Same goes for patents. U can get national or international. International is hella expensive. But just imagine the cost for a universal patent. That would b ****loads.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 16/08/03 - 5:32 AM Permalink

Copyright is automatic in Australia.
Posting to yourself is a way of providing proof if that copyright is challenged.
Adding the funny c is (I Believe) needed in England
The US has the most different of the copyright laws as they would not sign the international agreements.

My spelling prob sucks as Im drunk as a monky as I type this.
You all get no donuts, they are mine I am the l33t donut eater.W00t!

Pantmonger

Submitted by Cloud on Sun, 07/09/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

isnt there a different copywrite law for each different format such as drawing, song etc. And arnt there different rights that have different powers such as master rights and other types?

Submitted by CombatWombat on Mon, 08/09/03 - 7:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tomcat

Better yet, post it to a mate and handle your off-site backups
in one...

Cheers,

CombatWombat

Posted by tomcat on
Forum

Hi evryone,
I just finished my online portfolio and was about to upload it. Instead I've decided to ask about copyrighting. I f anyone knows anything on the subject please shed some light on the subject.

Thanks in advance_

Tomcat.

Submitted by rgsymons on Thu, 14/08/03 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Hi Tomcat,

whenever you create anything at all you automatically have copyright protection under Australian law.

Even so, it is best to label items that you beleive are commercially exploitable, eg. (c) Copyright 2003 Tomcat

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by Red 5 on Thu, 14/08/03 - 6:52 PM Permalink

tomcat, a simple way to prove you have ownership (in case there's ever any doubt) make hard copies of your work, put it into an envelope, seal it and post it to yourself. Once it has the official post office date stamp on it and the package remains sealed it'll supposedly hold up in court.

Submitted by sho nuff on Thu, 14/08/03 - 9:35 PM Permalink

Submitted by Red 5 on Thu, 14/08/03 - 10:01 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by sho-nuff

Good point... I just stated what an accountant told me a few years ago. Maybe you'd have to have the package stored somewhere (like a solicitors office) where you can't have access to it... just guessing :)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 14/08/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

send via registered post and you will have a time stamp on the letter [:)] that way your date will be earlier than anyone else and huzzah you win!!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 15/08/03 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Then you get to court, open your envelope and discover that you pic is gone, replaced by a stale donut.

Curse you Ausralia Post

Pantmonger

Submitted by rgsymons on Fri, 15/08/03 - 4:05 AM Permalink

mmmm... donuts...

As said, you can rely on the copyright legislation for protection by stating the (c) clause...

If you think you are likely to be ripped off and really need to protect the work then you certainly can lodge designs, etc.. Try looking here, it fully explains copyright/trademarks/designs/etc:

http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by tomcat on Fri, 15/08/03 - 5:28 AM Permalink

Thanks Guys.

Thanks again for all your help.
Tomcat

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 15/08/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

If you get donuts do we get a share?

Submitted by sho nuff on Sat, 16/08/03 - 2:32 AM Permalink

i was always told that a sig on ur work was all u needed. But validating it through the p.o service sounds more legit. But i do know that copyright laws are different for each country, so what might hold up in one place, might not do so in another. Same goes for patents. U can get national or international. International is hella expensive. But just imagine the cost for a universal patent. That would b ****loads.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 16/08/03 - 5:32 AM Permalink

Copyright is automatic in Australia.
Posting to yourself is a way of providing proof if that copyright is challenged.
Adding the funny c is (I Believe) needed in England
The US has the most different of the copyright laws as they would not sign the international agreements.

My spelling prob sucks as Im drunk as a monky as I type this.
You all get no donuts, they are mine I am the l33t donut eater.W00t!

Pantmonger

Submitted by Cloud on Sun, 07/09/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

isnt there a different copywrite law for each different format such as drawing, song etc. And arnt there different rights that have different powers such as master rights and other types?

Submitted by CombatWombat on Mon, 08/09/03 - 7:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tomcat

Better yet, post it to a mate and handle your off-site backups
in one...

Cheers,

CombatWombat