Skip to main content

Character Portrait: Girl with Guns

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

... So I did actually make more alterations to the previous painting that I posted (final version on my website for anyone interested to see the last 1% change of that one)

Lets hope this one will need less edits... I have gotten to the point of not knowing if it is finished or even if it looks okay any more - todays task was redoing the face entirely! something about her eyes still bug me, even with the obscuring visor...too light maybe(?) Might see if I can edit/add teh background to add more story/intrigue to it too... then on with the modeller challenge [:0]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200671375748_girl_and_guns…]

Submitted by Frostblade on Sun, 16/07/06 - 8:30 PM Permalink

I don't like the crop much, draw the rest of her arm in.
The gun pointing up needs some skin colour relfections on it like the other one.

Some parts of the clothing has really smooth shading while some other bits are a bit rough.
The v shape around the hip area... it looks a little odd. Speaking as a girl, I'm sure it doesn't go up that high.

From personal preference a lighter lip colour will make her look a bit prettier.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/08/06 - 9:58 PM Permalink

The work on the face, hands, and gun is brilliant. Very nice work there. Proportion is slightly off in some areas, I think, looking at the size of her head compared to the length of her shoulders (I dunno, maybe it's just me. What does anyone else think?)

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 03/08/06 - 2:31 AM Permalink

thanks for the feedback Frostblade/Souri. I haven't looked at this piece for a while (I did revisit some bits that frostblade commented about though). I do intend to recrop & paint in a better background and agree their is something subtly wrong with the figure also- might try and find a friend who will 'strike a pose' so I can get a reference shot to compare. But I am determined to get more done on other projects (ie modelling challenge) before I continue this one.

Posted by Johnn on

... So I did actually make more alterations to the previous painting that I posted (final version on my website for anyone interested to see the last 1% change of that one)

Lets hope this one will need less edits... I have gotten to the point of not knowing if it is finished or even if it looks okay any more - todays task was redoing the face entirely! something about her eyes still bug me, even with the obscuring visor...too light maybe(?) Might see if I can edit/add teh background to add more story/intrigue to it too... then on with the modeller challenge [:0]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200671375748_girl_and_guns…]

Submitted by Frostblade on Sun, 16/07/06 - 8:30 PM Permalink

I don't like the crop much, draw the rest of her arm in.
The gun pointing up needs some skin colour relfections on it like the other one.

Some parts of the clothing has really smooth shading while some other bits are a bit rough.
The v shape around the hip area... it looks a little odd. Speaking as a girl, I'm sure it doesn't go up that high.

From personal preference a lighter lip colour will make her look a bit prettier.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/08/06 - 9:58 PM Permalink

The work on the face, hands, and gun is brilliant. Very nice work there. Proportion is slightly off in some areas, I think, looking at the size of her head compared to the length of her shoulders (I dunno, maybe it's just me. What does anyone else think?)

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 03/08/06 - 2:31 AM Permalink

thanks for the feedback Frostblade/Souri. I haven't looked at this piece for a while (I did revisit some bits that frostblade commented about though). I do intend to recrop & paint in a better background and agree their is something subtly wrong with the figure also- might try and find a friend who will 'strike a pose' so I can get a reference shot to compare. But I am determined to get more done on other projects (ie modelling challenge) before I continue this one.