Skip to main content

Question about Xbox

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

As some of you might know, i have been palnning to get a console for quite some time, finally, i can get one. I've decided on the Xbox mainly cos IMO it's better, and cos i reall want Fable. Any way my question is, like PS2 and PS1 do you need a memory card to save games, or does it have a kind of hard drive to which you can directly cave games? I've heard it's got a hard drive you can put music on and stuff but i don't know if you can save.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 14/06/04 - 3:39 AM Permalink

yes you can save game saves to the hardrive, you can also buy memory cards to which you can save if you should wish to say take your save files to a friends house. Also yes you can put music on the HD

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Mon, 14/06/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

but you have the all important question, where will you fit the XBox? its HUGE!

:D

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 14/06/04 - 4:34 AM Permalink

bababab, true that mate, but that is if first you can carry it out of the shop without pulling a back muscle.

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 14/06/04 - 7:25 AM Permalink

Man, you buy an Xbox to move into. Then you park your car under the controller.

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Mon, 14/06/04 - 7:37 AM Permalink

hahah good call...

and when you make some renovations (aka put in a 200gb hdd) you can prob put some water cooling in, and have yourself a sauna..

oh the dreams...

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 14/06/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

also when is the next generation of consoles meant to be released, i'm jsut wondering if i should wait. Also how long will it take before the next gen of consoles drops to an affordable proce ie: below $500

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 14/06/04 - 9:48 PM Permalink

hey...

next console u buy, get a GameCube...

you won't regret it it has the best games ever...[8D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 14/06/04 - 9:59 PM Permalink

Bullet: Usually the prices of consoles drops to a reasonable price - to approx 40% of realease price 9 - 12 months after the realease date.

If your waiting for PS3 / Xbox 2 you will most likely be waiting for another 2 years.

The details for the next gen consoles were hoping to be released at this years e3, but it didnt happen, probably will release the details at next years e3, if not, the year after...

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 14/06/04 - 11:29 PM Permalink

I was under the impression that MS plan on releasing the X-box2 as soon as possible in order to get one up on Sony ? I thought it?s planned release is early/mid 2005?

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 14/06/04 - 11:55 PM Permalink

First, congratulations on a fine decision. You won't regret buying an Xbox :)
Second, play Jet Set Radio Future if youg et the chance...most stylish game...ever.

Last i heard, MS plans the release of the xbox 2 (or whatever) around mid/end of 2005, PS3 is probably looking at end 2005/early 2006.
When the xbox released in australia, it was $650, that dropped to $500 about 3-4 months later, however that was probably a bit unusual and they were just competing very hard against PS2. 9-12 months sounds like a reasonable figure.
I wouldn't bother waiting, after you take into account the time for prices to drop, you'll be waiting almost 3 years for the next-gen console. Xbox has such good deals now anyway (like the console and 2 games for $250 or something??)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 15/06/04 - 3:16 AM Permalink

guys, not a console war thread, hes just asking about the box :)

yeah ive heard the date 2005 but with the lack of information that we have so far on any sequel machines im thinking it could end up being later then that. Blitz is also right about deals, look around at different stores, some have deals that bundle the machine with a few games and such which is a nice way to get started.

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 15/06/04 - 3:19 AM Permalink

Dude, just get a PS2, way better of game selection. It hasn't got the same graphics as X-Box, but Game Play is better then Graphics.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 15/06/04 - 4:05 AM Permalink

Soz Cody, my ignorant mind is made up. Fable was the deciding factor. But yeah there are plenty of deals so i will definately get an Xbox

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

I think you?ve made a good choice Bullet. Even though I love my PS2, buying a console because of a particular game that you must own is the only way to go! For me it was GT3.

The xbox seems to have a few games that look incredible. Especially Fable, which almost makes me want to buy one?

Something I?ve always wondered about is how everyone notes the hardware power of the xbox. Does that little bit extra (little bit compared to a high end pc) really make much difference? I?ve seen a few multi-platform games running on both consoles, and I can?t really notice the difference. Does the extra performance in the xbox really make it graphically superior? I?ve seen pretty hot graphics on all consoles, so I don?t understand what people are on about with this ?xbox superior graphics? thing. It all kind of sounds like a typical Microsoft advertising gimmick to me.

Then again, I suppose people can quote technical specs to prove that the xbox is indeed graphically better.

BTW, places like Harvey Norman are offering a $500 deal ? for xbox (or ps2[;)]), extra controller, dvd remote, 4 mid-priced games, and one good game from a selection. Looks like a good deal. [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 15/06/04 - 6:06 PM Permalink

There's also that limited edition Xbox out, you know that transparent silver one and project gotham racing for 300 or something, but i think i'll stick to good old green and black.

Another game that made me want to buy the Xbox is full spectrum warrior, is that made by the Australian Pandemic or the US one.

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 15/06/04 - 9:44 PM Permalink

oh yeh...forgot to mention...

you must get Knights of the Old Republic! Best game ever...

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 15/06/04 - 10:05 PM Permalink

Don't forget to get copies of Ninja Gaiden and KOTOR (as Kane said), and per-order your copies of halo 2, jade empire, corkers:uncut and Fable of course.

There are a few more very cool games but these are to ones I'm most looking forward to.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 15/06/04 - 10:34 PM Permalink

mmmm...fable.

Wasn't a great fan of KOTOR, cool idea and ok story but it just lacked substance a bit to me, like most star wars licenses.
It was also so bloody easy and the combat system was pants, either go turn based or realtime guys, make up your mind.
The one redeeming feature, was the Assassin droid, meatbags!! lol. [:P]

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Xbox has heeeaps more memory for textures, which right there will allow xbox graphics to be superior. Even generally, the xbox has about twice the amount of memory as PS2 so, bigger textures, more detail in models/levels etc.
I'm not sure what the specs on the actual graphics devices are (can the xbox one actually render quicker etc.) but the extra memory is a huge boost.
I think the xbox might be better when it comes to postprocessing etc. You can use vertex/pixels shaders in the xbox, i think in ps2 you have to use crazy alpha masking and stuff, so you can't process as much data. Not sure though.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

I've heard the claims of xbox having superior grraphics from heaps of people i mean PS2 fans as well. My freind is a PS2 fan and he has the xbox as well, but he says the xbox has the better GFX. But he loves PS2 for the games, but any wayz, it's all personal choice.

Submitted by Me109 on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:21 AM Permalink

I don't think you can compare the graphical prowess of the XBOX or for that matter the GC, with the PS2 which is 6 years old...
I've held out on buying an xbox for ages.. but I'm almost about too because of Ninja Gaidan......
and the same with PS2.. I want one now.. have been playing Hack Infection (rocking game)

ps2 has no vertex or pixel shading.. only darkmapping... (lightmapping for the rest of the world)
umm.. ps2 is limited to 64 bones per character.. Xbox is 256 bones (effects how much detail in character animation)
I know that the ps2 is severly limited by having only 4mb of texture memory..
but the games you get these days dynamically loads textures to get the best possible performance.
I don't think you'll notice any major difference between ps2 and xbox (apart from the obvious) graphically... until more developers use next generation hardware of the xbox (vertex/pixel shaders etc...) and then the ps2 will look reallllly dated!
Honestly the only reason to buy an ps2 over an xbox ( and vice versa ) would be the games..
If anyone remembers the dreamcast.. you'll know that sega's machine was heaps better graphically... (than the ps2) but as we know..
the dreamcast died in the ass.. u just can't compete with marketing!...

anyhow I reckon you should buy an XBOX in which to shift into.. and you should be able to get two cars under the controller... hehe

oh and yeah.. since I'm here.... Don't forget the GameCube is out there... with little support... and not many games....... Go NINTENDO....

rant ends here!

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 19/06/04 - 10:31 PM Permalink

I'm gettin it tommorow, most likely that new pack, you know the limited edition Silver one with Project Gotham 2.

EDIT: Red 5 which cars did you make?

Submitted by souri on Sun, 20/06/04 - 11:48 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Me109

I don't think you can compare the graphical prowess of the XBOX or for that matter the GC, with the PS2 which is 6 years old...

Just to be nitpicky, Playstation 2 was released [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2"]in the year 2000[/url]. (Here's a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles"]list of all game consoles[/url] and their release dates btw. They did miss one console though - the Amiga CD32, touted as the world's first 32bit console [:)])

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 20/06/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

I got it today at 8 in the morning. I went to the 24 hour kmart in burwood with my bro and picked it up. Its call ed the elite force pack or somethin', it comes with a special ed. green halo Xbox and controll and tha haalo game for $298. Then i also bought a extra control for it.

soon as we got home we plugged it in and played. Man halo co-op is fun, whne i get annoyed with my bro, i elbo him and knock him out. Shit loads of fun but.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 21/06/04 - 12:03 AM Permalink

Lol! Try not to loose focus now your about to start your work experience [:P]

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Mon, 21/06/04 - 12:46 AM Permalink

In regards to Full Spectrum Warrior, both AUS and US hard a part in the engine/game. as far as i know. but US had a bigger part for the game aspect to it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 21/06/04 - 8:03 AM Permalink

yeh bullet beware, its only so long before every co-op game turns into mash your teammate with the but off your rifle :P

Submitted by Discmage on Mon, 21/06/04 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Make sure to catch the little grunts in Halo sleeping (they even have nightmares if you watch long enough) and walk up behind them and bash them across the back of the head. now that is one gaming moment I will never forget.

I recall the guys behind Dead or Alive 3 saying that you could NOT make that game on a PS2...I think he even offered a million dollars to someone who did...don't know if he was serious or not though :)

As much as the xbox is a more powerful machine, you sometimes cannot beat the fact that PS2 just has better licences though. Exclusive content is where a lot of the battle is being fought, that and the online elements. As much as the xbox has some great exclusives now, ps2 has had more time to develop it's exclusives and brands. They do a damn fine job of it :)

I think my biggest annoyance is when a game is ported from the PS2 to xbox, they rarely upgrade it as much as they can, if at all. So it LOOKS pretty much exactly like the PS2 version, hell half the time the frame rate is the same! But anyway...it's better than not getting the game at all I guess :)

Next 'round' is going to be mighty interesting though :) processing power is going to be void, as each will be more than enough to do what developers want (pretty much). Personally I wish each platform the best, as each have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, even though I don't activelly support their cause (eg. purchase their poducts) I hope Nintendo get back up with their main console. If there is one platform that seems to be holding to creativity over just plain stability...it's Nintendo. They have some weird stuff!

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 21/06/04 - 11:17 PM Permalink

There will never be enough processing power, memory etc. for the developers to just sit back and do whatever they want. Developers will always be pushing the clock cycles, squeezing the memory etc. Why? Because if they don't, then someone else will. Must. Be. Better. Than. Competition.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 22/06/04 - 12:43 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

A few from each class, in particular the American Muscle and Ultimates.
Hope you enjoy it :)

Edit: lol I just noticed in your last post you bought the Halo pack.

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

As some of you might know, i have been palnning to get a console for quite some time, finally, i can get one. I've decided on the Xbox mainly cos IMO it's better, and cos i reall want Fable. Any way my question is, like PS2 and PS1 do you need a memory card to save games, or does it have a kind of hard drive to which you can directly cave games? I've heard it's got a hard drive you can put music on and stuff but i don't know if you can save.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 14/06/04 - 3:39 AM Permalink

yes you can save game saves to the hardrive, you can also buy memory cards to which you can save if you should wish to say take your save files to a friends house. Also yes you can put music on the HD

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Mon, 14/06/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

but you have the all important question, where will you fit the XBox? its HUGE!

:D

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 14/06/04 - 4:34 AM Permalink

bababab, true that mate, but that is if first you can carry it out of the shop without pulling a back muscle.

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 14/06/04 - 7:25 AM Permalink

Man, you buy an Xbox to move into. Then you park your car under the controller.

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Mon, 14/06/04 - 7:37 AM Permalink

hahah good call...

and when you make some renovations (aka put in a 200gb hdd) you can prob put some water cooling in, and have yourself a sauna..

oh the dreams...

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 14/06/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

also when is the next generation of consoles meant to be released, i'm jsut wondering if i should wait. Also how long will it take before the next gen of consoles drops to an affordable proce ie: below $500

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 14/06/04 - 9:48 PM Permalink

hey...

next console u buy, get a GameCube...

you won't regret it it has the best games ever...[8D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 14/06/04 - 9:59 PM Permalink

Bullet: Usually the prices of consoles drops to a reasonable price - to approx 40% of realease price 9 - 12 months after the realease date.

If your waiting for PS3 / Xbox 2 you will most likely be waiting for another 2 years.

The details for the next gen consoles were hoping to be released at this years e3, but it didnt happen, probably will release the details at next years e3, if not, the year after...

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 14/06/04 - 11:29 PM Permalink

I was under the impression that MS plan on releasing the X-box2 as soon as possible in order to get one up on Sony ? I thought it?s planned release is early/mid 2005?

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 14/06/04 - 11:55 PM Permalink

First, congratulations on a fine decision. You won't regret buying an Xbox :)
Second, play Jet Set Radio Future if youg et the chance...most stylish game...ever.

Last i heard, MS plans the release of the xbox 2 (or whatever) around mid/end of 2005, PS3 is probably looking at end 2005/early 2006.
When the xbox released in australia, it was $650, that dropped to $500 about 3-4 months later, however that was probably a bit unusual and they were just competing very hard against PS2. 9-12 months sounds like a reasonable figure.
I wouldn't bother waiting, after you take into account the time for prices to drop, you'll be waiting almost 3 years for the next-gen console. Xbox has such good deals now anyway (like the console and 2 games for $250 or something??)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 15/06/04 - 3:16 AM Permalink

guys, not a console war thread, hes just asking about the box :)

yeah ive heard the date 2005 but with the lack of information that we have so far on any sequel machines im thinking it could end up being later then that. Blitz is also right about deals, look around at different stores, some have deals that bundle the machine with a few games and such which is a nice way to get started.

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 15/06/04 - 3:19 AM Permalink

Dude, just get a PS2, way better of game selection. It hasn't got the same graphics as X-Box, but Game Play is better then Graphics.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 15/06/04 - 4:05 AM Permalink

Soz Cody, my ignorant mind is made up. Fable was the deciding factor. But yeah there are plenty of deals so i will definately get an Xbox

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

I think you?ve made a good choice Bullet. Even though I love my PS2, buying a console because of a particular game that you must own is the only way to go! For me it was GT3.

The xbox seems to have a few games that look incredible. Especially Fable, which almost makes me want to buy one?

Something I?ve always wondered about is how everyone notes the hardware power of the xbox. Does that little bit extra (little bit compared to a high end pc) really make much difference? I?ve seen a few multi-platform games running on both consoles, and I can?t really notice the difference. Does the extra performance in the xbox really make it graphically superior? I?ve seen pretty hot graphics on all consoles, so I don?t understand what people are on about with this ?xbox superior graphics? thing. It all kind of sounds like a typical Microsoft advertising gimmick to me.

Then again, I suppose people can quote technical specs to prove that the xbox is indeed graphically better.

BTW, places like Harvey Norman are offering a $500 deal ? for xbox (or ps2[;)]), extra controller, dvd remote, 4 mid-priced games, and one good game from a selection. Looks like a good deal. [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 15/06/04 - 6:06 PM Permalink

There's also that limited edition Xbox out, you know that transparent silver one and project gotham racing for 300 or something, but i think i'll stick to good old green and black.

Another game that made me want to buy the Xbox is full spectrum warrior, is that made by the Australian Pandemic or the US one.

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 15/06/04 - 9:44 PM Permalink

oh yeh...forgot to mention...

you must get Knights of the Old Republic! Best game ever...

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 15/06/04 - 10:05 PM Permalink

Don't forget to get copies of Ninja Gaiden and KOTOR (as Kane said), and per-order your copies of halo 2, jade empire, corkers:uncut and Fable of course.

There are a few more very cool games but these are to ones I'm most looking forward to.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 15/06/04 - 10:34 PM Permalink

mmmm...fable.

Wasn't a great fan of KOTOR, cool idea and ok story but it just lacked substance a bit to me, like most star wars licenses.
It was also so bloody easy and the combat system was pants, either go turn based or realtime guys, make up your mind.
The one redeeming feature, was the Assassin droid, meatbags!! lol. [:P]

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Xbox has heeeaps more memory for textures, which right there will allow xbox graphics to be superior. Even generally, the xbox has about twice the amount of memory as PS2 so, bigger textures, more detail in models/levels etc.
I'm not sure what the specs on the actual graphics devices are (can the xbox one actually render quicker etc.) but the extra memory is a huge boost.
I think the xbox might be better when it comes to postprocessing etc. You can use vertex/pixels shaders in the xbox, i think in ps2 you have to use crazy alpha masking and stuff, so you can't process as much data. Not sure though.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

I've heard the claims of xbox having superior grraphics from heaps of people i mean PS2 fans as well. My freind is a PS2 fan and he has the xbox as well, but he says the xbox has the better GFX. But he loves PS2 for the games, but any wayz, it's all personal choice.

Submitted by Me109 on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:21 AM Permalink

I've held out on buying an xbox for ages.. but I'm almost about too because of Ninja Gaidan......
and the same with PS2.. I want one now.. have been playing Hack Infection (rocking game)

ps2 has no vertex or pixel shading.. only darkmapping... (lightmapping for the rest of the world)
umm.. ps2 is limited to 64 bones per character.. Xbox is 256 bones (effects how much detail in character animation)
I know that the ps2 is severly limited by having only 4mb of texture memory..
but the games you get these days dynamically loads textures to get the best possible performance.
I don't think you'll notice any major difference between ps2 and xbox (apart from the obvious) graphically... until more developers use next generation hardware of the xbox (vertex/pixel shaders etc...) and then the ps2 will look reallllly dated!
Honestly the only reason to buy an ps2 over an xbox ( and vice versa ) would be the games..
If anyone remembers the dreamcast.. you'll know that sega's machine was heaps better graphically... (than the ps2) but as we know..
the dreamcast died in the ass.. u just can't compete with marketing!...

anyhow I reckon you should buy an XBOX in which to shift into.. and you should be able to get two cars under the controller... hehe

oh and yeah.. since I'm here.... Don't forget the GameCube is out there... with little support... and not many games....... Go NINTENDO....

rant ends here!

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 19/06/04 - 10:31 PM Permalink

I'm gettin it tommorow, most likely that new pack, you know the limited edition Silver one with Project Gotham 2.

Submitted by souri on Sun, 20/06/04 - 11:48 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Me109

Just to be nitpicky, Playstation 2 was released [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2"]in the year 2000[/url]. (Here's a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles"]list of all game consoles[/url] and their release dates btw. They did miss one console though - the Amiga CD32, touted as the world's first 32bit console [:)])

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 20/06/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

I got it today at 8 in the morning. I went to the 24 hour kmart in burwood with my bro and picked it up. Its call ed the elite force pack or somethin', it comes with a special ed. green halo Xbox and controll and tha haalo game for $298. Then i also bought a extra control for it.

soon as we got home we plugged it in and played. Man halo co-op is fun, whne i get annoyed with my bro, i elbo him and knock him out. Shit loads of fun but.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 21/06/04 - 12:03 AM Permalink

Lol! Try not to loose focus now your about to start your work experience [:P]

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Mon, 21/06/04 - 12:46 AM Permalink

In regards to Full Spectrum Warrior, both AUS and US hard a part in the engine/game. as far as i know. but US had a bigger part for the game aspect to it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 21/06/04 - 8:03 AM Permalink

yeh bullet beware, its only so long before every co-op game turns into mash your teammate with the but off your rifle :P

Submitted by Discmage on Mon, 21/06/04 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Make sure to catch the little grunts in Halo sleeping (they even have nightmares if you watch long enough) and walk up behind them and bash them across the back of the head. now that is one gaming moment I will never forget.

I recall the guys behind Dead or Alive 3 saying that you could NOT make that game on a PS2...I think he even offered a million dollars to someone who did...don't know if he was serious or not though :)

As much as the xbox is a more powerful machine, you sometimes cannot beat the fact that PS2 just has better licences though. Exclusive content is where a lot of the battle is being fought, that and the online elements. As much as the xbox has some great exclusives now, ps2 has had more time to develop it's exclusives and brands. They do a damn fine job of it :)

I think my biggest annoyance is when a game is ported from the PS2 to xbox, they rarely upgrade it as much as they can, if at all. So it LOOKS pretty much exactly like the PS2 version, hell half the time the frame rate is the same! But anyway...it's better than not getting the game at all I guess :)

Next 'round' is going to be mighty interesting though :) processing power is going to be void, as each will be more than enough to do what developers want (pretty much). Personally I wish each platform the best, as each have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, even though I don't activelly support their cause (eg. purchase their poducts) I hope Nintendo get back up with their main console. If there is one platform that seems to be holding to creativity over just plain stability...it's Nintendo. They have some weird stuff!

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 21/06/04 - 11:17 PM Permalink

There will never be enough processing power, memory etc. for the developers to just sit back and do whatever they want. Developers will always be pushing the clock cycles, squeezing the memory etc. Why? Because if they don't, then someone else will. Must. Be. Better. Than. Competition.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 22/06/04 - 12:43 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

A few from each class, in particular the American Muscle and Ultimates.
Hope you enjoy it :)

Edit: lol I just noticed in your last post you bought the Halo pack.