Skip to main content

Next Gen Consoles

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Hands up those of you who would buy an Xbox 2 for video and photo editing, along with games?? (it's interesting to see the approach Sony and Microsoft are taking with their next gen consoles)

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 14/02/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

would be cool if you could create 3d elements and then export them into your game.
i would buy one then..depending on price :)

lachlan inglis
Showreel WIP: http://effectism.com/sample/

Submitted by Sertan on Fri, 14/02/03 - 8:14 AM Permalink

Rather buy a high-end PC. It would be fun though. I still use TimeSplitters 2's level editor for quick multiplayer romps. If they make it as easy to use as that editor (but more varied of course), then I think it would be worth it indeed.

We like a man who comes right out and says what he thinks - when he agrees with us.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 14/02/03 - 7:31 PM Permalink

It gives me a bit of the fear, (I could be wrong) but mass market products to the artistic bent are usualy so user friendly and idiot proof that they are usless to an artist of any experience with digital media. That would be my fear anyway.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 15/02/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

I think the next area that artists will get into will be the Tablet PC kinda deal, I know that the artists on Penny Arcade uses one for all his drawing now and he reckons its quite good. I would imagine a larger tablet pc kinda thing being used by 3d modellers not so far in the future, would make it easy to select bones, move them etc. Or what about virtual clay kinda thing? Erg, I'm babbling here.

Submitted by Sertan on Sat, 15/02/03 - 1:02 AM Permalink

quote:It gives me a bit of the fear, (I could be wrong) but mass market products to the artistic bent are usualy so user friendly and idiot proof that they are usless to an artist of any experience with digital media. That would be my fear anyway.

Yeah, but what's the point in having technically advanced products with a console which is meant to be user-friendly? That is to say, if you're afraid that it would be too "idiot proof", then just buy a high-end PC.

We like a man who comes right out and says what he thinks - when he agrees with us.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 15/02/03 - 1:35 AM Permalink

example, bryce is "too idiot proof" with the large colored buttons. the rotate button takes up half the screen in that program.

lachlan inglis

Submitted by souri on Sat, 15/02/03 - 11:04 AM Permalink

I'm pretty certain that any video and image editing abilities the Xbox2 will offer is going to be so dumbed down, serious people won't bother with it. Unless they're packing a keyboard and mouse with the new console, you're not going to be able to or want to do much editing with a control pad. I can make a safe bet that the Xbox 2 won't come with a DVD burner [;)], so you'll playback your edits on your Xbox, and record it on your VHS... Remember Mario Paint for the N64? It didn't sell the N64 by the bucket load.. I wonder why Microsoft are bothering with novelties, when it's the games that sell the machine..

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 5:15 AM Permalink

quote: I wonder why Microsoft are bothering with novelties, when it's the games that sell the machine..

Unfortunately, that's not quite true. In today's ICON (Sydney Morning Herald lift-out), it stated that the PS2 had sold 700,000 units in Australia, followed by the Xbox with 225,000 and the GC struggling to reach 50,000. Note that the GC is the only games-dedicated machine, whereas the other two have "novelties". In fact, the PS2 is not only the best selling console in the market at the moment, but it's also the best-selling DVD player.

Serious designers won't bother with editing on a console, but your average console gamer will. That's who the "idiot-proof" software is designed for: non-designers. I won't bother with it either, but it wouldn't be too bad whipping up a quick map when you're sick of the maps you've already got. Sure, it's no alternative when compared to downloading maps, but we'll do that when we're given the opportunity.

quote:example, bryce is "too idiot proof" with the large colored buttons. the rotate button takes up half the screen in that program.

Is that a console or PC program? If it's console, then it is justified in making it idiot proof. If it is a PC program, then it is not designed for people like yourself, but rather for either beginners or people who just want to have fun making maps (or whatever is the purpose the program) without putting in too much effort.

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:53 AM Permalink

I think one of the better series of editors out there that are also extremely simple to use at the Starcraft and Warcraft3 editors. They have managed to build in powerful scripting into a relatively simple editor.

Although one of the other more powerful editors out there is the Unreal Editor, that is one mean hunk of software.

Its true though, that for consoles you have to make your products idiot proof.

Submitted by souri on Sun, 16/02/03 - 7:14 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sertan

quote: I wonder why Microsoft are bothering with novelties, when it's the games that sell the machine..

Unfortunately, that's not quite true. In today's ICON (Sydney Morning Herald lift-out), it stated that the PS2 had sold 700,000 units in Australia, followed by the Xbox with 225,000 and the GC struggling to reach 50,000. Note that the GC is the only games-dedicated machine, whereas the other two have "novelties". In fact, the PS2 is not only the best selling console in the market at the moment, but it's also the best-selling DVD player.

Serious designers won't bother with editing on a console, but your average console gamer will. That's who the "idiot-proof" software is designed for: non-designers. I won't bother with it either, but it wouldn't be too bad whipping up a quick map when you're sick of the maps you've already got. Sure, it's no alternative when compared to downloading maps, but we'll do that when we're given the opportunity.

Editing - I was referring to video and image editing that the Xbox2 will offer supposedly (user made game levels are a different issue [:)].
About the PS2 winning the numbers battle - that's my point.. it's the large variety of games that have pushed it to the front.. not because it plays DVD as well - well that's my opinion anyway. [:)] We've discussed in the forum on why the Gamecube was so behind - one of the reasons was marketing, and the other was the lack games.

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

quote:Editing - I was referring to video and image editing that the Xbox2 will offer supposedly (user made game levels are a different issue

Oh, ok. Sorry. [:)]

quote:About the PS2 winning the numbers battle - that's my point.. it's the large variety of games that have pushed it to the front.. not because it plays DVD as well - well that's my opinion anyway. We've discussed in the forum on why the Gamecube was so behind - one of the reasons was marketing, and the other was the lack games.

I suppose there are a lot of reasons, then. Though I do remember in the PS2's early days that the console sales to games sales ratio was tipped very highly towards the console, which is a rare occurrance. A spokesperson or somebody at Sony attributed this to the console's ability to play DVDs. That is, of course, if memory serves me. Thus, this would affect it's lead in the market as well. [:)]

But, as I said, there are a lot of reasons...

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 17/02/03 - 1:53 AM Permalink

Soumds to me like microsoft is just trying to turn the XBOX into a "family" pc. No upgrades and patches, all simple to use, sounds sinister to me.

"when it comes to angry killing machines, nothing beats the Lord Jesus!"

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/02/03 - 1:32 AM Permalink

It would be pretty funny if they did bring out a keyboard and mouse for the Xbox, actually..

Submitted by adie on Tue, 18/02/03 - 3:45 AM Permalink

Souri you just reminded me of moario paint it was on super nintendo not the 64 ... it had a cool music maker using all the sound from mario but the drawing part was crap with just a pad. Ahh those were the days working at the games store smoking and making crazy tunes on mario paint

Submitted by souri on Wed, 19/02/03 - 11:28 AM Permalink

I'm sure there was a Mario Paint on the N64 as well.. (Mario Paint 64?)...

Posted by souri on
Forum

Hands up those of you who would buy an Xbox 2 for video and photo editing, along with games?? (it's interesting to see the approach Sony and Microsoft are taking with their next gen consoles)

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 14/02/03 - 5:37 AM Permalink

would be cool if you could create 3d elements and then export them into your game.
i would buy one then..depending on price :)

lachlan inglis

Submitted by Sertan on Fri, 14/02/03 - 8:14 AM Permalink

Rather buy a high-end PC. It would be fun though. I still use TimeSplitters 2's level editor for quick multiplayer romps. If they make it as easy to use as that editor (but more varied of course), then I think it would be worth it indeed.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 14/02/03 - 7:31 PM Permalink

It gives me a bit of the fear, (I could be wrong) but mass market products to the artistic bent are usualy so user friendly and idiot proof that they are usless to an artist of any experience with digital media. That would be my fear anyway.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 15/02/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

I think the next area that artists will get into will be the Tablet PC kinda deal, I know that the artists on Penny Arcade uses one for all his drawing now and he reckons its quite good. I would imagine a larger tablet pc kinda thing being used by 3d modellers not so far in the future, would make it easy to select bones, move them etc. Or what about virtual clay kinda thing? Erg, I'm babbling here.

Submitted by Sertan on Sat, 15/02/03 - 1:02 AM Permalink

quote:It gives me a bit of the fear, (I could be wrong) but mass market products to the artistic bent are usualy so user friendly and idiot proof that they are usless to an artist of any experience with digital media. That would be my fear anyway.

Yeah, but what's the point in having technically advanced products with a console which is meant to be user-friendly? That is to say, if you're afraid that it would be too "idiot proof", then just buy a high-end PC.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 15/02/03 - 1:35 AM Permalink

example, bryce is "too idiot proof" with the large colored buttons. the rotate button takes up half the screen in that program.

lachlan inglis

Submitted by souri on Sat, 15/02/03 - 11:04 AM Permalink

I'm pretty certain that any video and image editing abilities the Xbox2 will offer is going to be so dumbed down, serious people won't bother with it. Unless they're packing a keyboard and mouse with the new console, you're not going to be able to or want to do much editing with a control pad. I can make a safe bet that the Xbox 2 won't come with a DVD burner [;)], so you'll playback your edits on your Xbox, and record it on your VHS... Remember Mario Paint for the N64? It didn't sell the N64 by the bucket load.. I wonder why Microsoft are bothering with novelties, when it's the games that sell the machine..

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 5:15 AM Permalink

quote:example, bryce is "too idiot proof" with the large colored buttons. the rotate button takes up half the screen in that program.

Is that a console or PC program? If it's console, then it is justified in making it idiot proof. If it is a PC program, then it is not designed for people like yourself, but rather for either beginners or people who just want to have fun making maps (or whatever is the purpose the program) without putting in too much effort.

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:53 AM Permalink

I think one of the better series of editors out there that are also extremely simple to use at the Starcraft and Warcraft3 editors. They have managed to build in powerful scripting into a relatively simple editor.

Although one of the other more powerful editors out there is the Unreal Editor, that is one mean hunk of software.

Its true though, that for consoles you have to make your products idiot proof.

Submitted by souri on Sun, 16/02/03 - 7:14 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sertan

Editing - I was referring to video and image editing that the Xbox2 will offer supposedly (user made game levels are a different issue [:)].
About the PS2 winning the numbers battle - that's my point.. it's the large variety of games that have pushed it to the front.. not because it plays DVD as well - well that's my opinion anyway. [:)] We've discussed in the forum on why the Gamecube was so behind - one of the reasons was marketing, and the other was the lack games.

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

quote:Editing - I was referring to video and image editing that the Xbox2 will offer supposedly (user made game levels are a different issue

Oh, ok. Sorry. [:)]

quote:About the PS2 winning the numbers battle - that's my point.. it's the large variety of games that have pushed it to the front.. not because it plays DVD as well - well that's my opinion anyway. We've discussed in the forum on why the Gamecube was so behind - one of the reasons was marketing, and the other was the lack games.

I suppose there are a lot of reasons, then. Though I do remember in the PS2's early days that the console sales to games sales ratio was tipped very highly towards the console, which is a rare occurrance. A spokesperson or somebody at Sony attributed this to the console's ability to play DVDs. That is, of course, if memory serves me. Thus, this would affect it's lead in the market as well. [:)]

But, as I said, there are a lot of reasons...

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 17/02/03 - 1:53 AM Permalink

Soumds to me like microsoft is just trying to turn the XBOX into a "family" pc. No upgrades and patches, all simple to use, sounds sinister to me.

"when it comes to angry killing machines, nothing beats the Lord Jesus!"

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/02/03 - 1:32 AM Permalink

It would be pretty funny if they did bring out a keyboard and mouse for the Xbox, actually..

Submitted by adie on Tue, 18/02/03 - 3:45 AM Permalink

Souri you just reminded me of moario paint it was on super nintendo not the 64 ... it had a cool music maker using all the sound from mario but the drawing part was crap with just a pad. Ahh those were the days working at the games store smoking and making crazy tunes on mario paint

Submitted by souri on Wed, 19/02/03 - 11:28 AM Permalink

I'm sure there was a Mario Paint on the N64 as well.. (Mario Paint 64?)...