Skip to main content

XBOX or PS2

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

Well after ages i've decided to buy a console. But i'm not sure whether to get an Xbox or PS2 (Iheard Gamecube is a no go zone). Ialso heard the Xbox has better performance and graphics but the PS2 has the games. Can some one tell me the best one please. Help is appreciated as always.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 14/01/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

the PS2 has the games

There's your answer :)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 14/01/04 - 9:52 AM Permalink

is grantourismo on xbox???...i think not.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 14/01/04 - 9:53 AM Permalink

i wouldnt agree with that though
ive got a xbox and a gamecube and id go with either of them, both have great games on them. Personally i like very little of the PS2 exclusives.

However its all down to personall preference. different people like different things so if you dont like the games on the xbox then the fact that its the most powerfull dosent mean anything and if you do like the games on the gamecube say then the fact that its less powerfull then the xbox dosent mean squat.

If you have friends with the systems go and check out the games at there places or something, and basicly no one can tell you what to buy (or call consoles a no go zone) because its a matter of personal opinion

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 14/01/04 - 11:23 AM Permalink

I've got both PS2 and Xbox, and I find I'm playing Xbox games moreso than PS2 lately... just look at some of the latest titles, Crimson Skies, Top Spin, PGR2, GTA double pack, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, etc, some top notch games have appeared the past couple of months and the multi-platform titles usually perform better on Xbox than PS2.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 14/01/04 - 11:33 AM Permalink

The thing with the PS2 is that I think we've seen nearly everything we're gonna see from it - aside from MGS3 and GT4 ( these sequels will be predictable in terms of what we should expect). It does have the eye toy tho'. In truth you can't go wrong with the PS2, it has pretty much all the bases covered.

I do think this is gonna be a pretty strong year for the Xbox tho'. Some real good games on the horizon - Halo2, Ninja Gaiden, Sudeki, Fable are are few I can think off the top of my head. Its got some decent games in the form of Shenmue 2, KOTOR, Halo, lots of good sports games and the multi system ports are usually best on Xbox. It's a very good system and if you decide you don't want a PS2, you can't go wrong with the Box -- it may not cover all the genres as well as the PS2 does, but it still has a decent range. 4 player ports and a HD that you can utilise are great for it -- and if you still haven't played GTA, you can now pick up a double pack.

People write off the Cube but it's still a damn good system. I've bought a Cube for the niche games that I can't buy on other systems. Viewtiful Joe, Metroid Prime, Zelda:Wind Waker, Mario Kart:DD, Ikaruga, Animal Crossing. Some damn good games there, just don't expect the breadth of the other 2 systems. Rumours are pointing to Nintendo doing an Eyetoy equivalent - expect more at E3.

It'll help if you tell us what sort of games you like.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 14/01/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

quote:It'll help if you tell us what sort of games you like.

Well i like mainly FPS's and 3rd person shooters. I also like almost any game that has CO-op.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 14/01/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Go team Cube! *Shakes flag*

(/me Now eagerly awaits for the flaming to come)

Though if i had the chance now i would have to say i would go with Xbox. The GameCube was good at the start but sadly lost a lot of developers and things [:(]. But overall i dont really care about consoles that much anymore, though i do like playing Doom 2 on my little GBA [;)].

PC = Best console ever. Period. [;)]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 14/01/04 - 10:15 PM Permalink

X-box personally. And with this Q1 of games, fable, ninja ganiden, halo 2.

I have a X-box and Gamecube. I would have to say gamecube is the best muitplayer console, so many party games.

Just a note MGS3 is coming out on both ps2 and x-box.

But is your money and what ever you get I'm sure you will find something to do on it.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 15/01/04 - 1:04 AM Permalink

I think gameplay will always win over graphics, so go for the PS2, you will even be able to lift it to the car without working up a sweat, unlike the XBOX.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 15/01/04 - 3:17 AM Permalink

If you can wait this long to buy a PS2 or Xbox, then I think you can wait even more to see what is planned for the PS3 and Xbox2, or even PSP [:)]

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 15/01/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

If you want graphics I personally reckon the GameCube is the go...it easily matches any graphics the Xbox can do...and even though some good developers have turned to the dark side (ie. Rare...damn them!), there are still some good games on the 'Cube...

I have an Xbox as well though, and Knights of the Old Republic is the most kick ass game ever, so I really don't know!

PS2 does have lots of games, but like others have said, the amount of really good games on the PS2 is roughly the same as the amount of really good games on any other console...if that made sense...

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 15/01/04 - 5:02 AM Permalink

PS2 vs Xbox on number of games, well PS2 of course but don't forget it has also had a bucket load more time on the shelf.
PS2 vs XBox on graphics? Thats an obvious one.
PS2 vs Xbox on gameplay? Well thats up to what games you like so neither is a standout.

Gamecubes pretty cool too so don't discount that one.

Also this is just me and its a really bad reason but frikken PS2's have shitty texture memory so if your stuck doing a game that crosses all titles you have to do crappy textures just so the poor little thing can run!! Bah! Give me more power damn you!! [:P]

quote:Well i like mainly FPS's and 3rd person shooters. I also like almost any game that has CO-op.

Nothing compares to PC's for those games so why get a console if thats what its for? Halo?! Thats sooo bad, even on PC.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 15/01/04 - 8:23 AM Permalink

Halo co-op is heaps of fun...and it wasn't in the pc version!
If you like co-op multi, go for xbox (or gamecube) because it at least has 4 controller ports, and setting yourself up with xbox live! will (if memory servers correctly) cost you a lot less than setting up with sony's online stuff.
Because xbox supports 4 controllers as standard you get a lot more games that will support 4 player multi as opposed to 2 player multi that you're more likely to get on ps2.
Xbox has the hard drive so you don't have to worry about or pay for pesky memory cards.
Depending on your preference, you may find the xbox or ps2 controller more satisfying. Personally i prefer the xbox controller, i've played FPS's on both consoles and the xbox controller has not left me with cramps like the ps2 has, but that my just be because i don't have tiny japanese hands.
Xbox requires an extra $50 or so outlay for DVD functionality (although the xbox combo packs these days usually have it bundled in), xbox dvd performance/picture quality is better than the ps2.
XBox comes with dolby digital 5.1 surround, if you're into that, as well as higher quality picture out modes (i'm pretty sure). PS2 only has dolby prologic in game iirc, which is kinda fake 2.1 surround sound.
XBox has steel battalion :)
If bang for buck is important, xbox bundles tend to be a lot better value for money than any ps2 bundles i've seen.
Thats all i've got for you for now, personally i'd go the xbox.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 15/01/04 - 9:50 AM Permalink

May as well throw my two cents in.

I own an Xbox and love it. I wouldn't mind getting a PS2, but there are a lot of other things I would buy before I got one :)

The HDD in the Xbox is fantastic. Still saving and ripping music over a year down the track and it hasn't filled up yet. My friends and I all chipped in and bought another friend a PS2 for his 21st. Stupid me was used to the Xbox and forgot to buy a memory card. My friend couldn't really play any games for a month until he could buy a card.

Both consoles have a great selection of games on them. The PS2 may have more titles, but it doesn't mean that all those titles are good.

If you are after FPS games though, just spend money on upgrading your PC. Although Halo is one of the best FPS games ever made (er the Xbox version. not the PC), the PC still has far more FPS games out than all the consoles.

Think about it seriously though as Souri raises a really good point about waiting for the next gen consoles to be released.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 15/01/04 - 11:10 AM Permalink

I dont know if anyone mentioned this, but the Xbox (when modded *cough*) can run all your favourite old arcade games. VERY cool if you're a little retro. Kinda a grey area legally - please see your doctor.

And a word on the cube; some games are brilliant, but they are too few and far between... I may have to pick up a second hand ps2 and catch up on all the cool games i missed.

cheers

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 15/01/04 - 11:30 AM Permalink

quote:

I wouldnt be surprised if it'll hit the Box at some stage considering Konami's new found support for Xbox (remember, around this time last year, they were pulling out of Xbox market...) but the official word is that it's PS2 only for now.

Still, I'd love to see what Kojima could do with the HD at his disposal.

I'm gagging for the MGS1 remake on the Cube -- has anyone seen the vids? Damn fine, if you ask me. I'll happily buy the game again.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 15/01/04 - 7:37 PM Permalink

One question is, do you like epic Japanese RPGs? Because if you do, then the PS2 is the way to go.

Pantmonger

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 15/01/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

yeah i saw this really long and expansive trailer for the cube re-make, it looked fantastic, trailer was a bit odd though, at the end it starting saying in a creepy voice

"thaaaaaats right, mr Kojima respects mr miyamoto toooooo"

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 15/01/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

quote:

MGS2 is on the x-box. To bad they have only ported the game, only added a few things.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 16/01/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

You're talking about MGS2: Substance which is on the Xbox. A completely different different kettle of fish to the yet-to-be released MGS3:Snake Eater.

But I agree - they did a basic port and threw in all the VR missions and the ability to play as Snake through the whole game. However, I was more referring to Kojima designing a MGS game with the Xbox hardware in mind. I've noticed that when games are designed for a single platform (as opposed to multiplatform), it tends to utilise the strengths of that system better. Eg - particle effects on PS2 for MGS2. On the Xbox, in the rain sections, the game would drop in frame rates.

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

Well after ages i've decided to buy a console. But i'm not sure whether to get an Xbox or PS2 (Iheard Gamecube is a no go zone). Ialso heard the Xbox has better performance and graphics but the PS2 has the games. Can some one tell me the best one please. Help is appreciated as always.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 14/01/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

the PS2 has the games

There's your answer :)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 14/01/04 - 9:52 AM Permalink

is grantourismo on xbox???...i think not.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 14/01/04 - 9:53 AM Permalink

i wouldnt agree with that though
ive got a xbox and a gamecube and id go with either of them, both have great games on them. Personally i like very little of the PS2 exclusives.

However its all down to personall preference. different people like different things so if you dont like the games on the xbox then the fact that its the most powerfull dosent mean anything and if you do like the games on the gamecube say then the fact that its less powerfull then the xbox dosent mean squat.

If you have friends with the systems go and check out the games at there places or something, and basicly no one can tell you what to buy (or call consoles a no go zone) because its a matter of personal opinion

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 14/01/04 - 11:23 AM Permalink

I've got both PS2 and Xbox, and I find I'm playing Xbox games moreso than PS2 lately... just look at some of the latest titles, Crimson Skies, Top Spin, PGR2, GTA double pack, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, etc, some top notch games have appeared the past couple of months and the multi-platform titles usually perform better on Xbox than PS2.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 14/01/04 - 11:33 AM Permalink

The thing with the PS2 is that I think we've seen nearly everything we're gonna see from it - aside from MGS3 and GT4 ( these sequels will be predictable in terms of what we should expect). It does have the eye toy tho'. In truth you can't go wrong with the PS2, it has pretty much all the bases covered.

I do think this is gonna be a pretty strong year for the Xbox tho'. Some real good games on the horizon - Halo2, Ninja Gaiden, Sudeki, Fable are are few I can think off the top of my head. Its got some decent games in the form of Shenmue 2, KOTOR, Halo, lots of good sports games and the multi system ports are usually best on Xbox. It's a very good system and if you decide you don't want a PS2, you can't go wrong with the Box -- it may not cover all the genres as well as the PS2 does, but it still has a decent range. 4 player ports and a HD that you can utilise are great for it -- and if you still haven't played GTA, you can now pick up a double pack.

People write off the Cube but it's still a damn good system. I've bought a Cube for the niche games that I can't buy on other systems. Viewtiful Joe, Metroid Prime, Zelda:Wind Waker, Mario Kart:DD, Ikaruga, Animal Crossing. Some damn good games there, just don't expect the breadth of the other 2 systems. Rumours are pointing to Nintendo doing an Eyetoy equivalent - expect more at E3.

It'll help if you tell us what sort of games you like.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 14/01/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

quote:It'll help if you tell us what sort of games you like.

Well i like mainly FPS's and 3rd person shooters. I also like almost any game that has CO-op.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 14/01/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Go team Cube! *Shakes flag*

(/me Now eagerly awaits for the flaming to come)

Though if i had the chance now i would have to say i would go with Xbox. The GameCube was good at the start but sadly lost a lot of developers and things [:(]. But overall i dont really care about consoles that much anymore, though i do like playing Doom 2 on my little GBA [;)].

PC = Best console ever. Period. [;)]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 14/01/04 - 10:15 PM Permalink

X-box personally. And with this Q1 of games, fable, ninja ganiden, halo 2.

I have a X-box and Gamecube. I would have to say gamecube is the best muitplayer console, so many party games.

But is your money and what ever you get I'm sure you will find something to do on it.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 15/01/04 - 1:04 AM Permalink

I think gameplay will always win over graphics, so go for the PS2, you will even be able to lift it to the car without working up a sweat, unlike the XBOX.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 15/01/04 - 3:17 AM Permalink

If you can wait this long to buy a PS2 or Xbox, then I think you can wait even more to see what is planned for the PS3 and Xbox2, or even PSP [:)]

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 15/01/04 - 4:39 AM Permalink

If you want graphics I personally reckon the GameCube is the go...it easily matches any graphics the Xbox can do...and even though some good developers have turned to the dark side (ie. Rare...damn them!), there are still some good games on the 'Cube...

I have an Xbox as well though, and Knights of the Old Republic is the most kick ass game ever, so I really don't know!

PS2 does have lots of games, but like others have said, the amount of really good games on the PS2 is roughly the same as the amount of really good games on any other console...if that made sense...

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 15/01/04 - 5:02 AM Permalink

PS2 vs Xbox on number of games, well PS2 of course but don't forget it has also had a bucket load more time on the shelf.
PS2 vs XBox on graphics? Thats an obvious one.
PS2 vs Xbox on gameplay? Well thats up to what games you like so neither is a standout.

Gamecubes pretty cool too so don't discount that one.

Also this is just me and its a really bad reason but frikken PS2's have shitty texture memory so if your stuck doing a game that crosses all titles you have to do crappy textures just so the poor little thing can run!! Bah! Give me more power damn you!! [:P]

quote:Well i like mainly FPS's and 3rd person shooters. I also like almost any game that has CO-op.

Nothing compares to PC's for those games so why get a console if thats what its for? Halo?! Thats sooo bad, even on PC.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 15/01/04 - 8:23 AM Permalink

Halo co-op is heaps of fun...and it wasn't in the pc version!
If you like co-op multi, go for xbox (or gamecube) because it at least has 4 controller ports, and setting yourself up with xbox live! will (if memory servers correctly) cost you a lot less than setting up with sony's online stuff.
Because xbox supports 4 controllers as standard you get a lot more games that will support 4 player multi as opposed to 2 player multi that you're more likely to get on ps2.
Xbox has the hard drive so you don't have to worry about or pay for pesky memory cards.
Depending on your preference, you may find the xbox or ps2 controller more satisfying. Personally i prefer the xbox controller, i've played FPS's on both consoles and the xbox controller has not left me with cramps like the ps2 has, but that my just be because i don't have tiny japanese hands.
Xbox requires an extra $50 or so outlay for DVD functionality (although the xbox combo packs these days usually have it bundled in), xbox dvd performance/picture quality is better than the ps2.
XBox comes with dolby digital 5.1 surround, if you're into that, as well as higher quality picture out modes (i'm pretty sure). PS2 only has dolby prologic in game iirc, which is kinda fake 2.1 surround sound.
XBox has steel battalion :)
If bang for buck is important, xbox bundles tend to be a lot better value for money than any ps2 bundles i've seen.
Thats all i've got for you for now, personally i'd go the xbox.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 15/01/04 - 9:50 AM Permalink

May as well throw my two cents in.

I own an Xbox and love it. I wouldn't mind getting a PS2, but there are a lot of other things I would buy before I got one :)

The HDD in the Xbox is fantastic. Still saving and ripping music over a year down the track and it hasn't filled up yet. My friends and I all chipped in and bought another friend a PS2 for his 21st. Stupid me was used to the Xbox and forgot to buy a memory card. My friend couldn't really play any games for a month until he could buy a card.

Both consoles have a great selection of games on them. The PS2 may have more titles, but it doesn't mean that all those titles are good.

If you are after FPS games though, just spend money on upgrading your PC. Although Halo is one of the best FPS games ever made (er the Xbox version. not the PC), the PC still has far more FPS games out than all the consoles.

Think about it seriously though as Souri raises a really good point about waiting for the next gen consoles to be released.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 15/01/04 - 11:10 AM Permalink

I dont know if anyone mentioned this, but the Xbox (when modded *cough*) can run all your favourite old arcade games. VERY cool if you're a little retro. Kinda a grey area legally - please see your doctor.

And a word on the cube; some games are brilliant, but they are too few and far between... I may have to pick up a second hand ps2 and catch up on all the cool games i missed.

cheers

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 15/01/04 - 11:30 AM Permalink

quote:

I wouldnt be surprised if it'll hit the Box at some stage considering Konami's new found support for Xbox (remember, around this time last year, they were pulling out of Xbox market...) but the official word is that it's PS2 only for now.

I'm gagging for the MGS1 remake on the Cube -- has anyone seen the vids? Damn fine, if you ask me. I'll happily buy the game again.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 15/01/04 - 7:37 PM Permalink

One question is, do you like epic Japanese RPGs? Because if you do, then the PS2 is the way to go.

Pantmonger

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 15/01/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

yeah i saw this really long and expansive trailer for the cube re-make, it looked fantastic, trailer was a bit odd though, at the end it starting saying in a creepy voice

"thaaaaaats right, mr Kojima respects mr miyamoto toooooo"

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 15/01/04 - 10:54 PM Permalink

quote:

MGS2 is on the x-box. To bad they have only ported the game, only added a few things.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 16/01/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

You're talking about MGS2: Substance which is on the Xbox. A completely different different kettle of fish to the yet-to-be released MGS3:Snake Eater.

But I agree - they did a basic port and threw in all the VR missions and the ability to play as Snake through the whole game. However, I was more referring to Kojima designing a MGS game with the Xbox hardware in mind. I've noticed that when games are designed for a single platform (as opposed to multiplatform), it tends to utilise the strengths of that system better. Eg - particle effects on PS2 for MGS2. On the Xbox, in the rain sections, the game would drop in frame rates.