Skip to main content

Character: Pan

Submitted by conundrum on

Heh, what a coincidence ive just started the same comp as gogitason, mythical beast etc. i decided to do pan and this is what ive got so far. any crits, comments welcome.
polygons: 1964 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004101211721_Render1…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/10/04 - 7:26 PM Permalink

What comp is this conundrum? Looks good so far, just one thing caught my eye, is he wearing shorts?

Maybe give him a little goatee instead of a full grown beard.

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 13/10/04 - 9:21 PM Permalink

if you go onto the cgchat.com forums, the the game development thread you can read about and start posting wips there. its something to do until the next comp here (which i don't think is for a while)
the overhanging bits are where im going to use alpha maps fo fur.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 14/10/04 - 5:04 AM Permalink

first of all, pan = coolest mythical character ;P
secondly its coming along well, looking good

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 14/10/04 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Looks Great conundrum - your improoving your mesh building skills at a good rapid pace - keep at it, and you will find your way into a job. Still to early to really crit anything - what i have noticed tho is that your hands tend to be really detailed in your models.

It looks as though they are either 6 or 5 sided extrisions there - for that kind of poly count you can easily get away with a 4 sided finger and single extra row of polygons around the knuckle, joint at the underside. Give it a shot [:)]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 15/10/04 - 10:42 AM Permalink

hazard: thanks for the suggestion, ill take that into account for future models, although seeing as i have a roomy polycount (its 2500 and im only at 2000) i think ill probably leave it for this one unless it becomes necessary.

i thought id try painting the face as ive never done one before, im fairly pleased with it, although i think ive got a fair few more passes to go. my main problem is the colour, most of the shading comes with constant refinement, but i find the colour really difficult to get to grips with. any way heres the flat.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20041014104144_uvmap-h…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 15/10/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

looks pretty awesome but its amazingly soft and fuzzy

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 17/10/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Thats looking better :)
Try getting some dark reds and browns in there for the shadows.

Posted by conundrum on

Heh, what a coincidence ive just started the same comp as gogitason, mythical beast etc. i decided to do pan and this is what ive got so far. any crits, comments welcome.
polygons: 1964 tris
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004101211721_Render1…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/10/04 - 7:26 PM Permalink

What comp is this conundrum? Looks good so far, just one thing caught my eye, is he wearing shorts?

Maybe give him a little goatee instead of a full grown beard.

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 13/10/04 - 9:21 PM Permalink

if you go onto the cgchat.com forums, the the game development thread you can read about and start posting wips there. its something to do until the next comp here (which i don't think is for a while)
the overhanging bits are where im going to use alpha maps fo fur.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 14/10/04 - 5:04 AM Permalink

first of all, pan = coolest mythical character ;P
secondly its coming along well, looking good

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 14/10/04 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Looks Great conundrum - your improoving your mesh building skills at a good rapid pace - keep at it, and you will find your way into a job. Still to early to really crit anything - what i have noticed tho is that your hands tend to be really detailed in your models.

It looks as though they are either 6 or 5 sided extrisions there - for that kind of poly count you can easily get away with a 4 sided finger and single extra row of polygons around the knuckle, joint at the underside. Give it a shot [:)]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 15/10/04 - 10:42 AM Permalink

hazard: thanks for the suggestion, ill take that into account for future models, although seeing as i have a roomy polycount (its 2500 and im only at 2000) i think ill probably leave it for this one unless it becomes necessary.

i thought id try painting the face as ive never done one before, im fairly pleased with it, although i think ive got a fair few more passes to go. my main problem is the colour, most of the shading comes with constant refinement, but i find the colour really difficult to get to grips with. any way heres the flat.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20041014104144_uvmap-h…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 15/10/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

looks pretty awesome but its amazingly soft and fuzzy

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 17/10/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Thats looking better :)
Try getting some dark reds and browns in there for the shadows.