Skip to main content

Texturing

Submitted by codyalday on

Started to texture the face of my character, first attempt at texturing any model. I am still learning a lot of new things all the time. There is still work to be done, but here is a work in progress. Comments and crits are appreciated.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/codyalday/2005412104016_CC_Tex2…]

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 22/04/05 - 5:56 AM Permalink

good work.. you seem to have the principles down...
remember that skin has a lot of different colors in it..
not just pink.. play around with blues and greens for cool areas and reds and purples in warm areas
seems to have unwrapped nicely for a first go ..:)

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 22/04/05 - 7:02 AM Permalink

I would agree with tojo, the face needs more skintone colour in there.
Try to also get some more smoothness in there as well. At the moment its very muddy. Pick about 4 or 5 colours and lay them down somewhere on the texture sheet, and have a go with just using those colours. Remeber to stay away from black for shadows, a nice shade of brown can often work, experiement and find out!!
Also, study other peoples textures! This is something that I think can be quite helpful, especially when your new. Look at the different factors in there, try to figure what it is that makes the texture look good and why things like the colours the use, where they paint in shadows and highlights, just stuff like that. Then try applying those methods to your work.
If your still not sure of how something go out and get yourself some reference. This is good for (among other things) getting the shapes of individual parts just right, things like eyes, mouth, ears, etc
Finally as was mentioned it looks like you've done a good job of the unwrapping. Well done.

Keep at it! :)

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 23/04/05 - 1:58 AM Permalink

Thankaz heaps for the crits Tojo and Makk, really helping me out. I am working on it, bit by bit, as I am in the model challenge, so most of the time is working on that. Just wondering, do you guys and gals work from a grey scale first, then apply a coloured layer and work from that, or just go into the colour straight away? Also, done some more work to it.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/codyalday/200542215641_CC_Tex4.j…]

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 23/04/05 - 5:15 AM Permalink

gooed progress, its getting better, i'm definately no pro on texturing (i've hardly ever gotten to that stage with a model). so i won't struggle trying to explain what i thnk needs correcting.

Benoit Regimbal painted one of the best head textures i've ever seen so ive added a link to his wip for the head, its preety big for a jpg (1mb) but its very detailed and helpful. definately worth a look.
[url]http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/b1ll/step_head_champ.jpg[…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 25/04/05 - 9:26 AM Permalink

really coming along now, looks a bit more male though. was it supposed to be? its the thick eyebrows that do it

Posted by codyalday on

Started to texture the face of my character, first attempt at texturing any model. I am still learning a lot of new things all the time. There is still work to be done, but here is a work in progress. Comments and crits are appreciated.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/codyalday/2005412104016_CC_Tex2…]

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 22/04/05 - 5:56 AM Permalink

good work.. you seem to have the principles down...
remember that skin has a lot of different colors in it..
not just pink.. play around with blues and greens for cool areas and reds and purples in warm areas
seems to have unwrapped nicely for a first go ..:)

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 22/04/05 - 7:02 AM Permalink

I would agree with tojo, the face needs more skintone colour in there.
Try to also get some more smoothness in there as well. At the moment its very muddy. Pick about 4 or 5 colours and lay them down somewhere on the texture sheet, and have a go with just using those colours. Remeber to stay away from black for shadows, a nice shade of brown can often work, experiement and find out!!
Also, study other peoples textures! This is something that I think can be quite helpful, especially when your new. Look at the different factors in there, try to figure what it is that makes the texture look good and why things like the colours the use, where they paint in shadows and highlights, just stuff like that. Then try applying those methods to your work.
If your still not sure of how something go out and get yourself some reference. This is good for (among other things) getting the shapes of individual parts just right, things like eyes, mouth, ears, etc
Finally as was mentioned it looks like you've done a good job of the unwrapping. Well done.

Keep at it! :)

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 23/04/05 - 1:58 AM Permalink

Thankaz heaps for the crits Tojo and Makk, really helping me out. I am working on it, bit by bit, as I am in the model challenge, so most of the time is working on that. Just wondering, do you guys and gals work from a grey scale first, then apply a coloured layer and work from that, or just go into the colour straight away? Also, done some more work to it.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/codyalday/200542215641_CC_Tex4.j…]

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 23/04/05 - 5:15 AM Permalink

gooed progress, its getting better, i'm definately no pro on texturing (i've hardly ever gotten to that stage with a model). so i won't struggle trying to explain what i thnk needs correcting.

Benoit Regimbal painted one of the best head textures i've ever seen so ive added a link to his wip for the head, its preety big for a jpg (1mb) but its very detailed and helpful. definately worth a look.
[url]http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/b1ll/step_head_champ.jpg[…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 25/04/05 - 9:26 AM Permalink

really coming along now, looks a bit more male though. was it supposed to be? its the thick eyebrows that do it