Skip to main content

What's the best engine to create enviroments with?

• ok .. i think i have an idea.

my guy's name is going to be presto.. he will be a vaudeville magician / prestidigitator and illusionist.

his calling card will be a magic trick, a tarot card or rabbit or something.

and i will…

Submitted by tojo on
Forum

Hey there everyone ...

I am wanting to design outdoor/mountainous/river/ocean type enviromental objects... and have simple animations such as butterflys and fish and so forth working within that enviroment...

have been introduced to modding through Morrowind.. (using the gamebryo/ Netimmerse engine) but i have found the animation set up kinda sucks for the game....and basically am sick of getting lost in plugin after plugin/utility after utility even before i get to tackle creative problems....

i just want to create things .....

what engine would be best used for this purpose...

i use max, so there must be an export utility for this.

i am looking into the unreal-ed 3/ unreal engine but not sure if this will confine me to the 'arena' style enviroment???

if anyone could help... i would be grateful...

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 13/02/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

is the AMP II engine and utilities worth looking at??

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 13/02/04 - 5:38 AM Permalink

no it doesnt... http://www.4drulers.com/ampfaq.html

"Does the engine support terrain?

No. The engine is a indoor corridor renderer. Smaller outdoor areas are possible, but full terrain support is not really possible with AMP II.
"

man....... i could have an entire forum to myself at this rate..

[;)] winks at himself

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 13/02/04 - 7:00 AM Permalink

unfortunately open engines for modding are kinda really pigeon holed in the FPS category - those you have open access to are things like:

unreal tournament 2003
tribes series
battlefield 1942
q3a offshoots like wolfenstein: ET etc

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 13/02/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

yeh cool... thanks..
i am downloading the unreal runtime now ....

is battlefield 1942 relatively easy to put vertex animation in?

i want to just kind of stick my animation stuff in without too much fuss or staying up till 3:00 in the morning trying to figure out how to use the setting on the export utility....

probably cant excape it though..

thanks guys.

Posted by tojo on
Forum

Hey there everyone ...

I am wanting to design outdoor/mountainous/river/ocean type enviromental objects... and have simple animations such as butterflys and fish and so forth working within that enviroment...

have been introduced to modding through Morrowind.. (using the gamebryo/ Netimmerse engine) but i have found the animation set up kinda sucks for the game....and basically am sick of getting lost in plugin after plugin/utility after utility even before i get to tackle creative problems....

i just want to create things .....

what engine would be best used for this purpose...

i use max, so there must be an export utility for this.

i am looking into the unreal-ed 3/ unreal engine but not sure if this will confine me to the 'arena' style enviroment???

if anyone could help... i would be grateful...

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 13/02/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

is the AMP II engine and utilities worth looking at??

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 13/02/04 - 5:38 AM Permalink

no it doesnt... http://www.4drulers.com/ampfaq.html

"Does the engine support terrain?

No. The engine is a indoor corridor renderer. Smaller outdoor areas are possible, but full terrain support is not really possible with AMP II.
"

man....... i could have an entire forum to myself at this rate..

[;)] winks at himself

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 13/02/04 - 7:00 AM Permalink

unfortunately open engines for modding are kinda really pigeon holed in the FPS category - those you have open access to are things like:

unreal tournament 2003
tribes series
battlefield 1942
q3a offshoots like wolfenstein: ET etc

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 13/02/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

yeh cool... thanks..
i am downloading the unreal runtime now ....

is battlefield 1942 relatively easy to put vertex animation in?

i want to just kind of stick my animation stuff in without too much fuss or staying up till 3:00 in the morning trying to figure out how to use the setting on the export utility....

probably cant excape it though..

thanks guys.