Skip to main content

Counter-Strike: Source killed my 9600XT

Submitted by tbag on
Forum

Hello everyone,

Havent been on Sumea in awhile so im using my brothers computer, the reason? CS:S killed my 9600XT Extreme [:(]. I dont know how but just during the middle of getting my ass kicked bam! Sizzle sizzle and bye bye 9600XT [:p]. Hopefully it should be replaced under warranty, but did anyone elses video card decide to fry during CS:S? I think not.

Bit of a pain in the ass though, ay ideas as to why she fried? I didnt overclock her, but the fan on the motherboard died a few days before it decided to sizzle... Hmmm...

Submitted by souri on Sun, 12/12/04 - 4:25 AM Permalink

Holy... I got a 9600xt as well, and my computer has been reseting when playing games [:X]

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 12/12/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Holy... I got a 9600xt as well, and my computer has been reseting when playing games [:X]

Mine did that before (Mainly in CS:S and C&C: Generals) it decided to die but thank the manufacturers for warrantys! [:p].

Hopefully it wont happen to you.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/12/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

errr i have a 9600XT aswell and i havent had a single problem... :|

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 12/12/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

I tried running Half Life 2 on my old system, which had a crappy 440mx, and it frequently reset ? the classic symptom of an overheating computer.

Fortunately I don?t have to use that system for playing games anymore!

quote: the fan on the motherboard died a few days before That would be the problem. Heat is a computers worst enemy.

Careful Souri, you don?t want to kill your computer because of playing games! Do you have temperature monitoring?

Submitted by panzer on Tue, 14/12/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

the 1st time I played in a CS Source Lan, my cpu went to 60C!. Suprisingly it played okay until I hit escape and the whole system hang. Ah, thank god for the reset button and even better grace, no damage done.
How much CS did you play to destroy the card?
The warranty is a life saver. But be careful of the replacement card they give you. I had a very bad experience with replacement cards having gone through at least 4 cards until I made them switch over to a different brand. Be cautious as your warranty is expiring, make sure you get a proper card and test it to the limit, if it breaks down again, make sure you raise hell with from your supplier.
Too bad the EULA always 'clears' the game makers from hardware damage.

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 14/12/04 - 2:25 AM Permalink

Why would a hardware fault be the game developers fault? At least these days when they are so shielded from the hardware on PC's, they can't really do anything to damage your hardware. If your hardware gets damaged it is the fault of the manifacturer or the person who built the PC.

As well as heat being a problem, lack of power can also be a problem that will cause resets when using your pc intensively (ie. playing graphic intensive games). I'm not sure if this is much of an issue with 9600's though...do they require their own power plug?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 15/12/04 - 11:10 PM Permalink

9600s dont require a power plug, if so then what the hell is my 9600 and my brothers doing without one? [:p]

Anyway, its been a week or something and still no replacement damnit! I dont mind though, im a social whore so i've just been out 24/7 [:)].

Submitted by WiffleCube on Thu, 16/12/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

I am tempted to say that it's a new feature that Vulve introduced for piracy reasons. Not only do you have to be hooked up to the internet to start playing but the game fries your graphics card every few games to make sure you don't have a stable enough system to burn copies for your friends. [:p]

Sometimes graphics cards overheat. It's been my experience that this tends to happen when the card is faulty (sometimes a bad batch of cards is released) and you are running software that does a lot of fancy stuff. If you have a faulty card it's best to stick to simpler applications and games that don't make it whirr until you can get it replaced.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 16/12/04 - 8:40 PM Permalink

Arggggggggg Valve accusing me of being a pirate? [;)]

Ah well, atleast it didnt fry my precious 17" LCD and Seinheiser headphones [:)].

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 21/12/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

UPDATE: Turns out my motherboard fried instead [:(].

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 22/12/04 - 12:32 AM Permalink

sounds like overheating problems to me, both for tbag and souri (dove us insane at work trying to figure out why my machine would quit a few minutes into running a game, then increaced airflow (took a wall off the case) and no more crashes.

(though this was after reinstall, trying different video cards and checking harddrive/ memory....)

have to be a bit careful of temperatures and modern machines, they save money on fans/ heat sinks and get away with it as most people don't continuiosly run everything under 100% load...

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 23/12/04 - 3:45 AM Permalink

Make sure you keep everything inside your free from dust. It clogs fans and makes things fry (or even catch fire!). Be careful using a vacuum cleaner though because they can throw out lots of static electricity, one of those compressed air spraypacks can sometimes do the job.

It's a good idea to open up the PSU every 6 months or so and clean all the dust out too. PSUs get really hot and full of dust and have fans that clog. Just make SURE the power is unplugged!!!

If a machine is overheating and it isn't overclocked you have a crap case with insufficient airflow. Get a new case and/or add extra fans. Desktop cases are a BAD THING (tm) for games machines because the hot air just circulates inside getting hotter.

Those AMD and Intel stock heatsinks and fans are pretty crappy too, byte the bullet and get a Thermaltake or Coolermaster or something. If you aren't overclocking you can have the fanspeed set to minimum the whole time which makes for a lovely quiet PC.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 23/12/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

tbag, were you by any chance running a gigabyte kt400 mobo..

cause the exact same thing happened to me, melted the connection to the power supply pretty good

Submitted by panzer on Fri, 24/12/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

I got a Gigabyte KT400 (GA7VAX1394) too. But has no problem whatsoever since I got 1&1/2 years ago. I assume it's a localised issue in your system and not the mobo. I do not overclock my system though.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 26/12/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

How well do those liquid cooling systems work? 'Cause I got one of those Coolermaster cases and it's loud! Too many Fans. [:x]

I dunno about gigabyte motherboards anymore. I had one just die on me a few months ago. They are pretty suspect in my eyes.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 06/01/05 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Argh, damnit... My computer has died. It won't turn on. I press the power button on, and the little orange light on the motherboard (Gigabyte K7 Triton series, GA-7VA-C) lights up inside the case, but no beeps or sounds of the computer booting up.
I've taken out all non vital cards and plugs, but it ain't working [:(] .. Any ideas what to do now? [:X]

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 06/01/05 - 2:44 AM Permalink

I'd take everything off that comes off, and give it all a good clean. Check all the power sockets for burn marks (bad, but fixable). Check that all the capacitors on the motherboard are not buldging (really bad, but fixable). You could also try your CPU in a different machine to rule that out.

That's all that I can think of for now....

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 06/01/05 - 4:00 AM Permalink

IMHO Gigabyte mobos stink. NEVER buying another. And Souri went Via chipset too (IMHO asking for trouble). Asus or ABit with nVidia chipsets for me!

Your machine is failing the Power On Self Test (POST). What were you doing before it died? Any nasty burning smells or smoke? How hot is it in Sydney atm? Are you using quality surge protection?

Unplug everything except the video card, and if you have on-board video unplug the video card too. If after a good clean it still doesn't POST that gets it down to the mobo or CPU.

No beeps is bad, most bios's have beep codes for different problems. Not getting them makes me think the mobo is really stuffed or the cpu is fried.

It could be the power supply though, if some of the rails on the PSU are blown it might do this. Is it a no-name? How many watts is it rated at? Are you using a super power hungry video card? Does the PSU fan move? Does the CPU fan move?

Not much more I can think of from almost 1000 kms away :)

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 06/01/05 - 4:07 AM Permalink

Anuxinamoon: Whilst I've never used one water conducts heat far more readily than air- air is an insulator. If I was to install one I'd be inclined to use distilled water rather than tap water because pure water doesn't conduct electricity.

Noise levels are low, just a bit of a hum from the pump.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 06/01/05 - 5:25 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by lorien

Your machine is failing the Power On Self Test (POST). What were you doing before it died? Any nasty burning smells or smoke? How hot is it in Sydney atm? Are you using quality surge protection?

Unplug everything except the video card, and if you have on-board video unplug the video card too. If after a good clean it still doesn't POST that gets it down to the mobo or CPU.

No beeps is bad, most bios's have beep codes for different problems. Not getting them makes me think the mobo is really stuffed or the cpu is fried.

It could be the power supply though, if some of the rails on the PSU are blown it might do this. Is it a no-name? How many watts is it rated at? Are you using a super power hungry video card? Does the PSU fan move? Does the CPU fan move?

It happened this morning while I was away from the computer. Came back to the computer and it was frozen (well, the monitor was on standby, and the computer was unresponsive), so I turned it off and it never turned back on [:(]. The weather wasn't too hot in the morning.

300W power supply, using a Radeon Ati 9600XT graphics card, PSU and CPU fan do not move [:(].

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 06/01/05 - 9:19 PM Permalink

If the PSU fan doesn't move I'm suspecting a fuse or faulty PSU. Unfortunateyl if it fried in the wrong way it might have taken your mb with it. Hopefully not.

Try and find a second PSU to try it with, then if that doesn't work go for lorien's stripped-down test.

(oh, and if you haven't yet, take the HD out and plug it in somewhere where you can back up your documents etc BEFORE it goes much further. Damage Control Now!)
-d

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 06/01/05 - 10:05 PM Permalink

300 watts is too small. It would be OK if if was a high quality 300, but a no-name 300 will probably really only be a 220 or so.

And yes, your PSU is stuffed. I suggest Thermaltake or Antec, and around 400 watts, that way you will have plenty of power for any extra goodies you add.

If that "dont add/remove ram" light is on then it is not the fuse, the PSU is just blown.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 07/01/05 - 1:53 AM Permalink

Welcome to my world Souri. You might think its bad at first but its actually made me go outside and have a better social life, i love it [:)].

My computer is still dead and quite frankly i dont care that much anymore [:)], its made me get outside more and spend time with everyone i care about [:)].

Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/01/05 - 2:42 AM Permalink

I got myself a 420 watt Thermaltake today, and that solved the problem! PHEW!! Thanks for the helpful advice, guys.

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 07/01/05 - 3:23 AM Permalink

Bet it's a lot quieter than the old PSU too.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/01/05 - 10:25 AM Permalink

Yeh it is, plus I've got a tonne more plugs to add extra HD's and other devices [:)]

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 09/01/05 - 2:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by redwyre

CRISIS OVER

Not for me sadly [:p].

Submitted by panzer on Sat, 15/01/05 - 12:29 AM Permalink

Just my luck, my 19' monitor burned out yesterday. Ah what agony. The huge plume of smoke was the most frightening thing I ever saw. Man, was I shocked, I thought everthing was a goner.
Am using an old 14' until the monitor is repaired.

Posted by tbag on
Forum

Hello everyone,

Havent been on Sumea in awhile so im using my brothers computer, the reason? CS:S killed my 9600XT Extreme [:(]. I dont know how but just during the middle of getting my ass kicked bam! Sizzle sizzle and bye bye 9600XT [:p]. Hopefully it should be replaced under warranty, but did anyone elses video card decide to fry during CS:S? I think not.

Bit of a pain in the ass though, ay ideas as to why she fried? I didnt overclock her, but the fan on the motherboard died a few days before it decided to sizzle... Hmmm...

Submitted by souri on Sun, 12/12/04 - 4:25 AM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 12/12/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Mine did that before (Mainly in CS:S and C&C: Generals) it decided to die but thank the manufacturers for warrantys! [:p].

Hopefully it wont happen to you.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/12/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

errr i have a 9600XT aswell and i havent had a single problem... :|

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 12/12/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

I tried running Half Life 2 on my old system, which had a crappy 440mx, and it frequently reset ? the classic symptom of an overheating computer.

Fortunately I don?t have to use that system for playing games anymore!

quote: the fan on the motherboard died a few days before That would be the problem. Heat is a computers worst enemy.

Careful Souri, you don?t want to kill your computer because of playing games! Do you have temperature monitoring?

Submitted by panzer on Tue, 14/12/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

the 1st time I played in a CS Source Lan, my cpu went to 60C!. Suprisingly it played okay until I hit escape and the whole system hang. Ah, thank god for the reset button and even better grace, no damage done.
How much CS did you play to destroy the card?
The warranty is a life saver. But be careful of the replacement card they give you. I had a very bad experience with replacement cards having gone through at least 4 cards until I made them switch over to a different brand. Be cautious as your warranty is expiring, make sure you get a proper card and test it to the limit, if it breaks down again, make sure you raise hell with from your supplier.
Too bad the EULA always 'clears' the game makers from hardware damage.

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 14/12/04 - 2:25 AM Permalink

Why would a hardware fault be the game developers fault? At least these days when they are so shielded from the hardware on PC's, they can't really do anything to damage your hardware. If your hardware gets damaged it is the fault of the manifacturer or the person who built the PC.

As well as heat being a problem, lack of power can also be a problem that will cause resets when using your pc intensively (ie. playing graphic intensive games). I'm not sure if this is much of an issue with 9600's though...do they require their own power plug?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 15/12/04 - 11:10 PM Permalink

9600s dont require a power plug, if so then what the hell is my 9600 and my brothers doing without one? [:p]

Anyway, its been a week or something and still no replacement damnit! I dont mind though, im a social whore so i've just been out 24/7 [:)].

Submitted by WiffleCube on Thu, 16/12/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

I am tempted to say that it's a new feature that Vulve introduced for piracy reasons. Not only do you have to be hooked up to the internet to start playing but the game fries your graphics card every few games to make sure you don't have a stable enough system to burn copies for your friends. [:p]

Sometimes graphics cards overheat. It's been my experience that this tends to happen when the card is faulty (sometimes a bad batch of cards is released) and you are running software that does a lot of fancy stuff. If you have a faulty card it's best to stick to simpler applications and games that don't make it whirr until you can get it replaced.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 16/12/04 - 8:40 PM Permalink

Arggggggggg Valve accusing me of being a pirate? [;)]

Ah well, atleast it didnt fry my precious 17" LCD and Seinheiser headphones [:)].

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 21/12/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

UPDATE: Turns out my motherboard fried instead [:(].

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 22/12/04 - 12:32 AM Permalink

sounds like overheating problems to me, both for tbag and souri (dove us insane at work trying to figure out why my machine would quit a few minutes into running a game, then increaced airflow (took a wall off the case) and no more crashes.

(though this was after reinstall, trying different video cards and checking harddrive/ memory....)

have to be a bit careful of temperatures and modern machines, they save money on fans/ heat sinks and get away with it as most people don't continuiosly run everything under 100% load...

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 23/12/04 - 3:45 AM Permalink

Make sure you keep everything inside your free from dust. It clogs fans and makes things fry (or even catch fire!). Be careful using a vacuum cleaner though because they can throw out lots of static electricity, one of those compressed air spraypacks can sometimes do the job.

It's a good idea to open up the PSU every 6 months or so and clean all the dust out too. PSUs get really hot and full of dust and have fans that clog. Just make SURE the power is unplugged!!!

If a machine is overheating and it isn't overclocked you have a crap case with insufficient airflow. Get a new case and/or add extra fans. Desktop cases are a BAD THING (tm) for games machines because the hot air just circulates inside getting hotter.

Those AMD and Intel stock heatsinks and fans are pretty crappy too, byte the bullet and get a Thermaltake or Coolermaster or something. If you aren't overclocking you can have the fanspeed set to minimum the whole time which makes for a lovely quiet PC.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 23/12/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

tbag, were you by any chance running a gigabyte kt400 mobo..

cause the exact same thing happened to me, melted the connection to the power supply pretty good

Submitted by panzer on Fri, 24/12/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

I got a Gigabyte KT400 (GA7VAX1394) too. But has no problem whatsoever since I got 1&1/2 years ago. I assume it's a localised issue in your system and not the mobo. I do not overclock my system though.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 26/12/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

How well do those liquid cooling systems work? 'Cause I got one of those Coolermaster cases and it's loud! Too many Fans. [:x]

I dunno about gigabyte motherboards anymore. I had one just die on me a few months ago. They are pretty suspect in my eyes.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 06/01/05 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Argh, damnit... My computer has died. It won't turn on. I press the power button on, and the little orange light on the motherboard (Gigabyte K7 Triton series, GA-7VA-C) lights up inside the case, but no beeps or sounds of the computer booting up.
I've taken out all non vital cards and plugs, but it ain't working [:(] .. Any ideas what to do now? [:X]

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 06/01/05 - 2:44 AM Permalink

I'd take everything off that comes off, and give it all a good clean. Check all the power sockets for burn marks (bad, but fixable). Check that all the capacitors on the motherboard are not buldging (really bad, but fixable). You could also try your CPU in a different machine to rule that out.

That's all that I can think of for now....

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 06/01/05 - 4:00 AM Permalink

IMHO Gigabyte mobos stink. NEVER buying another. And Souri went Via chipset too (IMHO asking for trouble). Asus or ABit with nVidia chipsets for me!

Not much more I can think of from almost 1000 kms away :)

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 06/01/05 - 4:07 AM Permalink

Anuxinamoon: Whilst I've never used one water conducts heat far more readily than air- air is an insulator. If I was to install one I'd be inclined to use distilled water rather than tap water because pure water doesn't conduct electricity.

Noise levels are low, just a bit of a hum from the pump.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 06/01/05 - 5:25 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by lorien

It happened this morning while I was away from the computer. Came back to the computer and it was frozen (well, the monitor was on standby, and the computer was unresponsive), so I turned it off and it never turned back on [:(]. The weather wasn't too hot in the morning.

300W power supply, using a Radeon Ati 9600XT graphics card, PSU and CPU fan do not move [:(].

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 06/01/05 - 9:19 PM Permalink

If the PSU fan doesn't move I'm suspecting a fuse or faulty PSU. Unfortunateyl if it fried in the wrong way it might have taken your mb with it. Hopefully not.

Try and find a second PSU to try it with, then if that doesn't work go for lorien's stripped-down test.

(oh, and if you haven't yet, take the HD out and plug it in somewhere where you can back up your documents etc BEFORE it goes much further. Damage Control Now!)
-d

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 06/01/05 - 10:05 PM Permalink

300 watts is too small. It would be OK if if was a high quality 300, but a no-name 300 will probably really only be a 220 or so.

And yes, your PSU is stuffed. I suggest Thermaltake or Antec, and around 400 watts, that way you will have plenty of power for any extra goodies you add.

If that "dont add/remove ram" light is on then it is not the fuse, the PSU is just blown.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 07/01/05 - 1:53 AM Permalink

Welcome to my world Souri. You might think its bad at first but its actually made me go outside and have a better social life, i love it [:)].

My computer is still dead and quite frankly i dont care that much anymore [:)], its made me get outside more and spend time with everyone i care about [:)].

Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/01/05 - 2:42 AM Permalink

I got myself a 420 watt Thermaltake today, and that solved the problem! PHEW!! Thanks for the helpful advice, guys.

Submitted by lorien on Fri, 07/01/05 - 3:23 AM Permalink

Bet it's a lot quieter than the old PSU too.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/01/05 - 10:25 AM Permalink

Yeh it is, plus I've got a tonne more plugs to add extra HD's and other devices [:)]

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 09/01/05 - 2:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by redwyre

CRISIS OVER

Not for me sadly [:p].

Submitted by panzer on Sat, 15/01/05 - 12:29 AM Permalink

Just my luck, my 19' monitor burned out yesterday. Ah what agony. The huge plume of smoke was the most frightening thing I ever saw. Man, was I shocked, I thought everthing was a goner.
Am using an old 14' until the monitor is repaired.