Skip to main content

What I want for Christmas >.<

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

http://www.go-l.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm

With 5 widescreen UltraSpeed? LCD Panels featuring resolutions of up to a mammoth 19200 x 2400 Pixels, the new Athens Display Series brings desktop views and resolutions to unheard of new heights.

[:X]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/12/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

ye gods!, does anything actually require that many screens...

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 12/12/04 - 6:53 AM Permalink

Well I know that one legitimate application that they are currently used for is air traffic control. And I suppose that anything requiring constant monitoring of many variables (like air traffic control) would find a multiple monitor set-up very efficient.

However it?s hard to imagine needing it for games development. Though if you?ve got that cash to waste, then I?m sure it would prove useful.

It would be so cool though?
You?d feel like your desk is the bridge of a star ship or something!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 12/12/04 - 7:15 AM Permalink

I could fill 3 of those and work comfortably... but 5 [:O]

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 16/12/04 - 8:43 PM Permalink

Thats the same size screen as my Dad has in the public service, no joke, lucky bastard and he says that his work is confidential, not very confidential on a 200" screen with others working around you! [:p].

Makes me wonder what size screen Bill Gates has...

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 16/12/04 - 10:48 PM Permalink

holy crap

i'd love to take that to a lan and have everyone one call me a cheating bastard.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 16/12/04 - 11:00 PM Permalink

Pity half the programs we use to make CG can't expand well over 2+ monitors lol.

I've got a duel screen set up and only Max can allow you to drop windows on the second monitor effectively, the rest either have graphical glitches (MAya) or you need to minimze the window and drag it widescreen (Photoshop, ZBrush2)...eep.

But hey it would be great for HL2.

Submitted by Me109 on Fri, 17/12/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

Maya works perfectly if you span the displays... and not dualview.. ;)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 18/12/04 - 2:24 AM Permalink

Screen 1: Sumea irc chat
Screen 2: Sumea website
Screen 3: Zbrush/Fireworks/Game Maker
Screen 4: Photoshop
Screen 5: Dreamweaver
Screen 6: Max
Screen 7: DVD movie

[:D]

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 18/12/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

damn i miss using a unix flavoured OS which has good support for virtual work areas, since you have a narrow field of detailed vision, one monitor works find, but having 9 screen worth of windows (header files editor window, source code editor window, compiler/ command line window, help text/ references wwindow....) and being able to swap between them (have seen a few virtual screen space apps running (one on win200, another redhat..), and yet to see one as slick as how i saw one on 'iris' setup

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Mon, 20/12/04 - 10:00 AM Permalink

I wonder how many times you have to pick up and drag your mouse to get from one side to the other on those beauties? [:D]

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 21/12/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

Talking to some real developers last weekend (or so), I remember them saying that once they got hooked on two monitor development they couldn't go back, and I could see how addictive it could be.

When developing normal code you'd have the documentation open on the secondary monitor and the code / IDE open on the first, or when developing scripts you could have it running in one window while editing it in another.

Though I have to say that might be going a little overboard with that amount of resolution...

Though another profession where you need multiple monitors is being a stock broker. A friend of mine did a setup for one such person, with like 3 LCD monitors connected to 2 PC's IIRC. Man, they have to view a massive amount of variables.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 21/12/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

quote:
candlepower?

Check out Dan's Data [url]http://www.dansdata.com/raven.htm[/url] (scroll to the bottom to "Decoding Light Statistics") to explain what candlepower really means... I never understood it 'till then :)

Still - bright huge screen = cool!

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 22/12/04 - 4:05 AM Permalink

Malus - Just a wild guess. Are you running an ATI card for the dual monitor setup?

I was using a 9700 and suffered from all the problems you mentioned. Late last week I upgraded to a 6600GT (nVidia), and it all works perfectly now. I always read that nVidia had better dual screen handling than ATI. Now I believe it.

Posted by souri on
Forum

http://www.go-l.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm

With 5 widescreen UltraSpeed? LCD Panels featuring resolutions of up to a mammoth 19200 x 2400 Pixels, the new Athens Display Series brings desktop views and resolutions to unheard of new heights.

[:X]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/12/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

ye gods!, does anything actually require that many screens...

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 12/12/04 - 6:53 AM Permalink

Well I know that one legitimate application that they are currently used for is air traffic control. And I suppose that anything requiring constant monitoring of many variables (like air traffic control) would find a multiple monitor set-up very efficient.

However it?s hard to imagine needing it for games development. Though if you?ve got that cash to waste, then I?m sure it would prove useful.

It would be so cool though?
You?d feel like your desk is the bridge of a star ship or something!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 12/12/04 - 7:15 AM Permalink

I could fill 3 of those and work comfortably... but 5 [:O]

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 16/12/04 - 8:43 PM Permalink

Thats the same size screen as my Dad has in the public service, no joke, lucky bastard and he says that his work is confidential, not very confidential on a 200" screen with others working around you! [:p].

Makes me wonder what size screen Bill Gates has...

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 16/12/04 - 10:48 PM Permalink

holy crap

i'd love to take that to a lan and have everyone one call me a cheating bastard.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 16/12/04 - 11:00 PM Permalink

Pity half the programs we use to make CG can't expand well over 2+ monitors lol.

I've got a duel screen set up and only Max can allow you to drop windows on the second monitor effectively, the rest either have graphical glitches (MAya) or you need to minimze the window and drag it widescreen (Photoshop, ZBrush2)...eep.

But hey it would be great for HL2.

Submitted by Me109 on Fri, 17/12/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

Maya works perfectly if you span the displays... and not dualview.. ;)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 18/12/04 - 2:24 AM Permalink

Screen 1: Sumea irc chat
Screen 2: Sumea website
Screen 3: Zbrush/Fireworks/Game Maker
Screen 4: Photoshop
Screen 5: Dreamweaver
Screen 6: Max
Screen 7: DVD movie

[:D]

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 18/12/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

damn i miss using a unix flavoured OS which has good support for virtual work areas, since you have a narrow field of detailed vision, one monitor works find, but having 9 screen worth of windows (header files editor window, source code editor window, compiler/ command line window, help text/ references wwindow....) and being able to swap between them (have seen a few virtual screen space apps running (one on win200, another redhat..), and yet to see one as slick as how i saw one on 'iris' setup

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Mon, 20/12/04 - 10:00 AM Permalink

I wonder how many times you have to pick up and drag your mouse to get from one side to the other on those beauties? [:D]

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 21/12/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

Talking to some real developers last weekend (or so), I remember them saying that once they got hooked on two monitor development they couldn't go back, and I could see how addictive it could be.

When developing normal code you'd have the documentation open on the secondary monitor and the code / IDE open on the first, or when developing scripts you could have it running in one window while editing it in another.

Though I have to say that might be going a little overboard with that amount of resolution...

Though another profession where you need multiple monitors is being a stock broker. A friend of mine did a setup for one such person, with like 3 LCD monitors connected to 2 PC's IIRC. Man, they have to view a massive amount of variables.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 21/12/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

quote:
candlepower?

Check out Dan's Data [url]http://www.dansdata.com/raven.htm[/url] (scroll to the bottom to "Decoding Light Statistics") to explain what candlepower really means... I never understood it 'till then :)

Still - bright huge screen = cool!

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 22/12/04 - 4:05 AM Permalink

Malus - Just a wild guess. Are you running an ATI card for the dual monitor setup?

I was using a 9700 and suffered from all the problems you mentioned. Late last week I upgraded to a 6600GT (nVidia), and it all works perfectly now. I always read that nVidia had better dual screen handling than ATI. Now I believe it.