Skip to main content

3D FPS WIP

Submitted by Swiftless on

Hey all, I am currently working on a 3D FPS, with alot of 'enhancements' that I, and many people I have asked feel most multiplayer FPS games are missing. It currently doesn't look like much, but that is because I am currently working on models and implementing model animation.

Here are some images of the current engine, when it is finished it will feature:
*Full Scale City
*Fully Destructible
*Ability to Ally with certain players instead of the standard Red vs Blue, Axis vs Allies, Terrorists vs Counter Terrorists, etc
*Current generation visual effects including - stencil shadow volumes, high dynamic range lighting, parallax (occlusion) mapping, dynamic lighting with bump mapping.
*Surround Sound
*PhysX API
*Particle Effects

Here are some images of my terrain engine I started, and hope to some day finish:

You can view the full images, and more at:
Swiftless.comSwiftless2007-02-10 20:17:50

Submitted by Doble on Sun, 11/02/07 - 9:47 AM Permalink

Very cool, the environmental pics look especially great, well done!

Will be watching this one.

- Doble

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 12/02/07 - 3:44 AM Permalink

The water in the terrain engine seems too reflective, see how in the 3rd picture you can?t see a horizon line it?s an exact mirror copy of the sky.

Looking good so far :)

Submitted by Swiftless on Mon, 12/02/07 - 11:31 AM Permalink

Yeah, but I like it like that :P If I added some fog, or added some more color to the water itself, the effect would go away :P

Submitted by Targos on Wed, 14/02/07 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Im digging that terrain. Are you writing the engine? Ive found with highly reflective water that once you start moving round, its just too clean and weird. My 2c. Could you have particles on the watermesh to simulate mist/fog rather than fog fog?
AC

Submitted by Swiftless on Wed, 14/02/07 - 8:32 AM Permalink

Yes, I am writing the engine. At the moment it reads in a heightmap file, texture file and normal map file. I could also add some Steep Parallax Mapping to the terrain for some real snazzy effects. My next step with it is to make it create the texture, eg: have a bunch of smaller textures instead of one large one, and in a shader, set which texture is used for which height and slope.

As for the water, I have had many attempts at different water effects, and the problem with this one, is that even though it simulates ripples, it doesn't simulate waves. In the picture where it goes on and on, there should theoretically be waves (the terrain should also have a more lush, tropical feel to it). I am currently looking into applying steep parallax mapping (similar to parralax occlusion mapping), to the water, and so far the results have been pleasing. I will post pics when I get the time.

As for particles on the water mesh, what do you mean? Are you talking about like dust specs the float throughout the fog?

Posted by Swiftless on

Hey all, I am currently working on a 3D FPS, with alot of 'enhancements' that I, and many people I have asked feel most multiplayer FPS games are missing. It currently doesn't look like much, but that is because I am currently working on models and implementing model animation.

Here are some images of the current engine, when it is finished it will feature:
*Full Scale City
*Fully Destructible
*Ability to Ally with certain players instead of the standard Red vs Blue, Axis vs Allies, Terrorists vs Counter Terrorists, etc
*Current generation visual effects including - stencil shadow volumes, high dynamic range lighting, parallax (occlusion) mapping, dynamic lighting with bump mapping.
*Surround Sound
*PhysX API
*Particle Effects

Here are some images of my terrain engine I started, and hope to some day finish:

You can view the full images, and more at:
Swiftless.comSwiftless2007-02-10 20:17:50

Submitted by Doble on Sun, 11/02/07 - 9:47 AM Permalink

Very cool, the environmental pics look especially great, well done!

Will be watching this one.

- Doble

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 12/02/07 - 3:44 AM Permalink

The water in the terrain engine seems too reflective, see how in the 3rd picture you can?t see a horizon line it?s an exact mirror copy of the sky.

Looking good so far :)

Submitted by Swiftless on Mon, 12/02/07 - 11:31 AM Permalink

Yeah, but I like it like that :P If I added some fog, or added some more color to the water itself, the effect would go away :P

Submitted by Targos on Wed, 14/02/07 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Im digging that terrain. Are you writing the engine? Ive found with highly reflective water that once you start moving round, its just too clean and weird. My 2c. Could you have particles on the watermesh to simulate mist/fog rather than fog fog?
AC

Submitted by Swiftless on Wed, 14/02/07 - 8:32 AM Permalink

Yes, I am writing the engine. At the moment it reads in a heightmap file, texture file and normal map file. I could also add some Steep Parallax Mapping to the terrain for some real snazzy effects. My next step with it is to make it create the texture, eg: have a bunch of smaller textures instead of one large one, and in a shader, set which texture is used for which height and slope.

As for the water, I have had many attempts at different water effects, and the problem with this one, is that even though it simulates ripples, it doesn't simulate waves. In the picture where it goes on and on, there should theoretically be waves (the terrain should also have a more lush, tropical feel to it). I am currently looking into applying steep parallax mapping (similar to parralax occlusion mapping), to the water, and so far the results have been pleasing. I will post pics when I get the time.

As for particles on the water mesh, what do you mean? Are you talking about like dust specs the float throughout the fog?