Skip to main content

Halo 2 living upto the hype?

Submitted by tbag on
Forum

Anyone played this yet? I havent but i've heard that shes pretty good since a couple of my friends went to the 12:01am launch party night things. But i've also heard that Bungie has left the ending really open for a Halo 3, if thats the case i think its a bit cheap if they have made it too obvious (which they apparently have)...

Anyway, has anyone tried this '1337est game on the earth' yet?

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 10/11/04 - 6:18 AM Permalink

havnt played it myself or followed the microsoft generated hype ("most anticipated game ever" - guess they're not counting halflife 2 or doom 3).

looks a lot better with all the bumpmapping and such. but how is the game? must be better than the original (though that cant be hard).

honestly i dont know what the facination with it was. i enjoyed the first half of the game (so about the first couple of hours) when you were fighting against intelegent enemies with intelegent allies, all who used intelegent tactics. lots of fun and lots of stradegy.

but once the flood came into it it was just midless drones running right at you along. became very boring very quickly. all the second half of the game i was hoping for covernate enemies to pop up just so i could have some real combat back! and it didn't help that some levels were repeated up to three times either.

i've only played a little of multiplayer, and that was good fun, so i guess that's where the facination is, cos i cant see it being in the singleplayer.

december: metroid prime 2 - now that's what i'm waiting for. original was the greatest example of game design and production values of recent years if you ask me. cant wait for the sequal.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/11/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

half life 2 > Halo 2

not to say Halo 2 is completely sucky, im sure its a great game but im not loaded atm and im getting HL2 free thanks to my ATI card anyways. Im also confident of it being the superior game, just pointing out that just because one game is better then the other dosent mean the other is worthless.

on a side note, i owned metroid prime twice, (bought one, won another) and i sold em both :)
each to their own ;)

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 10/11/04 - 8:39 PM Permalink

yeah i've had a few people say to me MP's not that great. but yeah, to each his own, i loved it.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 10/11/04 - 9:16 PM Permalink

Very busy this week.. Halo 2 is sitting on my desk at work, but no time to play it until Thursday night. Driving me crazy...

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 10/11/04 - 11:23 PM Permalink

I'm debating if I should also get the HL premier pack, since now would be the last time I could get it for free before HL2 is released...

*sigh*...

Though I like some of the Total War series of games better than HL2, Doom3, Halo2 etc.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/11/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Need for Speed Underground 2 just went gold, and the latest Grand Theft Auto was just released.. Sure is a busy month for big game releases/sequels!

Yeh, Halo 2 is getting a lot of hype. A lot of the comments (usually from hardened PC shooter fans) say that it's unwarranted. I've only seen a tiny bit of the original, but my friend said there wasn't anything special about it and that there sure was a lot of backtracing (going through the same levels again, in reverse), plus too much mindless shooting. All that was most likely due to Microsoft having to push Bungie in getting it released for the Xbox, so they had to do some filler stuff.

From the footage of I've seen of Halo 2 was cool. They mix up the action very well. Visually (the design and look of levels/characters), it's not as impressive as, say, Unreal Tournament 2004 or Doom3, but it looks more fun to play.

Submitted by Magna on Thu, 11/11/04 - 2:29 AM Permalink

Halo and Halo 2 look exactly the same. The only difference are the cuts scenes are better in the sequel.

It is basically the same game with new guns, vehicles, and levels. I would call it more of an expansion than a sequel.

It is what Halo should have been if Bungie hadnt rushed it

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 11/11/04 - 2:35 AM Permalink

I think one of the things for me with the first Halo, is that unlike any other FPS i've played, Halo absolutely OOZED atmosphere. I'd come close to saying that of any game i've played, it's the one that had the biggest effect of making me forget everything else and just getting absorbed by the game. The discovery of the Flood, is probably number 1 on my "All time greatest gaming moments" list. I haven't played Doom 3 yet though, so maybe that will ooze more atmosphere? Certainly looking forward to Halo 2 though.
I would say Halo 2 is easily more highly anticipated than Doom 3, and either more or as anticipated as Half-life 2. Simple test...check the pre-order numbers.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 11/11/04 - 2:49 AM Permalink

I have to agree with Blitz on this, its difficult to say exactly what it is about Halo, its just the sort of game that pulls you in and captures your absolute attention.

quote:I haven't played Doom 3 yet though, so maybe that will ooze more atmosphere?There aren't many things in Doom 3 that don't ooze in one sense or another...

Still waiting to play Halo 2...

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 11/11/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Either way, this Christmas is going to be one hell of a Christmas for gamers... problem is the ca$h flow needed for so many good games... meh, i can buy most of them but will only buy several [:)].

Anyway, Christmas is coming early for us gamers [:)].

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 11/11/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

and the return of the king extended dvds - so there's another 70 odd $$ to add to the christmas list

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 8:51 PM Permalink

And while I'm at it, here's a [url="http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2478"]negative review of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas[/url] [:D]

Note, the above review is an experiment also...quote:"Now friends, if you'll remember correctly the whole point of this shit is to circulate the link to the Truth Media article throughout the Grand Theft Auto community and see how many people you can trick into thinking it's a real, legitimate review."

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 12/11/04 - 2:26 AM Permalink

I liked Halo and I liked Halo 2.

I thought that the problems that Halo had (stop starting action), were fixed up in Halo 2. It is just pretty much constant action. Very little pauses this time. A few variations in game play (protecting and a few more rally areas :D ). The story is a bit better than the original.

My only two major complaints with Halo 2 (at the moment), are that it is too friggen short. My friend and I got it and played co-op. We finished it in 10 hours :( One of the best things about Halo was that it didn't have bosses. Halo 2 does...

Chances are, if you thought Halo was ordinary and overhyped, then you will here as well.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 12/11/04 - 10:06 AM Permalink

[url="http://www.gameindustry.com/ih/item.asp?id=415"]Halo 2 sales top $125 million[/url]...

Halo 2 broke entertainment retail records in its first 24 hours on store shelves. Microsoft Game Studios today announced that the highly-anticipated game sold through 2.4 million units in the U.S. and Canada, driving cash register receipts to the $125 million mark.

[:0]

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:45 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

[url="http://www.gameindustry.com/ih/item.asp?id=415"]Halo 2 sales top $125 million[/url]...

Halo 2 broke entertainment retail records in its first 24 hours on store shelves. Microsoft Game Studios today announced that the highly-anticipated game sold through 2.4 million units in the U.S. and Canada, driving cash register receipts to the $125 million mark.

Saw that this morning, but it made me wonder, if it keeps selling at that rate nearly every XBox owner will have a copy and then it will probably slow down in sales very fast.

Anyway, my bet is Half-Life 2 will work its way to the top some week, after all, theres nothing good out besides Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 [:o)].

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

I've heard its ok, but not that much better then the originals.

The ca$h is on Halo 2 & Half-Life 2 sugar! [;)]

Submitted by Coralon (not verified) on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:23 PM Permalink

I just finished it on Heroic difficulty and it took 16hrs, maybe less seeing as its only been 4 days since release.
I thought it was an excellent game even though the ending was not as good as expected and it was shorter than i expected. Still it is not right for me to be annoyed when it is my own fault for expecting a 100% perfect game. I think this is the same with many people and when a 9.8/10 game gets frowned upon because its not perfect, I wonder about the nature of the industry.

Its a fantastic game, which in my opinion is a development masterpiece up there with (but not quite equal to) Metal Gear Solid.

I also think the multiplayer is the best available on any platform.

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 7:47 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by wardenjam

I thought the original Halo's multiplayer was terrible, but thats probably because my friends always play the same level 24/7 which is really boring, the same level for 3 hours one night, damn i was bored.

I might just try playing co-op with one of my friends who has a copy, i always had a bit of fun with co-op.

Submitted by Ponkavitch (not verified) on Sun, 14/11/04 - 1:17 AM Permalink

yer Halo 2's MP maps are very well designed. Also there are so many game types with so many variables that you could play for hours without repeating a match. The online works great too.

I juss completed the last level on legendary and there was no alternate ending like the 1st unfortunately. unless you have to complete every level on legendary.... [xx(]

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 17/11/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Finally got around to playing the campaign in the last few days. I really did not expect the ending... I was still waiting for another level when the credits came on screen. Still, I enjoyed the game quite a bit, though nothing really new other than dual weapons, it was still a lot of fun. However, I do like how they expanded on the covenant a lot more than in the first.

Pity the ending had no sort of closure at all... it makes waiting for Halo 3 even worse. [:p]

At least I've got it out of the way for when I pick up Halflife 2 tomorrow!

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 21/11/04 - 12:21 PM Permalink

Halo 1 bored me sensless, it was nothing new if you've even played a sub par PC FPS at that time, Halo 2 doesn't really interest me and after playing it for a while I can't see myself picking it up again, and whats with the graphical glitches? Bad form guys.

Btw, Half life 2 is amazing, everything else pales in comparison. [:P]

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 21/11/04 - 1:06 PM Permalink

Just had a 5 hour Halo 2 Multiplayer session. While the singleplayer might not be the most original, the multiplayer is damn fun, and there is so much customisation with different modes you can play. Good fun!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 22/11/04 - 6:12 AM Permalink

i had more fun playing a couple of hours of multiplayer in Halo 1 than i did playing through the entire singleplayer game.

Posted by tbag on
Forum

Anyone played this yet? I havent but i've heard that shes pretty good since a couple of my friends went to the 12:01am launch party night things. But i've also heard that Bungie has left the ending really open for a Halo 3, if thats the case i think its a bit cheap if they have made it too obvious (which they apparently have)...

Anyway, has anyone tried this '1337est game on the earth' yet?

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 10/11/04 - 6:18 AM Permalink

havnt played it myself or followed the microsoft generated hype ("most anticipated game ever" - guess they're not counting halflife 2 or doom 3).

looks a lot better with all the bumpmapping and such. but how is the game? must be better than the original (though that cant be hard).

honestly i dont know what the facination with it was. i enjoyed the first half of the game (so about the first couple of hours) when you were fighting against intelegent enemies with intelegent allies, all who used intelegent tactics. lots of fun and lots of stradegy.

but once the flood came into it it was just midless drones running right at you along. became very boring very quickly. all the second half of the game i was hoping for covernate enemies to pop up just so i could have some real combat back! and it didn't help that some levels were repeated up to three times either.

i've only played a little of multiplayer, and that was good fun, so i guess that's where the facination is, cos i cant see it being in the singleplayer.

december: metroid prime 2 - now that's what i'm waiting for. original was the greatest example of game design and production values of recent years if you ask me. cant wait for the sequal.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/11/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

half life 2 > Halo 2

not to say Halo 2 is completely sucky, im sure its a great game but im not loaded atm and im getting HL2 free thanks to my ATI card anyways. Im also confident of it being the superior game, just pointing out that just because one game is better then the other dosent mean the other is worthless.

on a side note, i owned metroid prime twice, (bought one, won another) and i sold em both :)
each to their own ;)

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 10/11/04 - 8:39 PM Permalink

yeah i've had a few people say to me MP's not that great. but yeah, to each his own, i loved it.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 10/11/04 - 9:16 PM Permalink

Very busy this week.. Halo 2 is sitting on my desk at work, but no time to play it until Thursday night. Driving me crazy...

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 10/11/04 - 11:23 PM Permalink

I'm debating if I should also get the HL premier pack, since now would be the last time I could get it for free before HL2 is released...

*sigh*...

Though I like some of the Total War series of games better than HL2, Doom3, Halo2 etc.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/11/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Need for Speed Underground 2 just went gold, and the latest Grand Theft Auto was just released.. Sure is a busy month for big game releases/sequels!

Yeh, Halo 2 is getting a lot of hype. A lot of the comments (usually from hardened PC shooter fans) say that it's unwarranted. I've only seen a tiny bit of the original, but my friend said there wasn't anything special about it and that there sure was a lot of backtracing (going through the same levels again, in reverse), plus too much mindless shooting. All that was most likely due to Microsoft having to push Bungie in getting it released for the Xbox, so they had to do some filler stuff.

From the footage of I've seen of Halo 2 was cool. They mix up the action very well. Visually (the design and look of levels/characters), it's not as impressive as, say, Unreal Tournament 2004 or Doom3, but it looks more fun to play.

Submitted by Magna on Thu, 11/11/04 - 2:29 AM Permalink

Halo and Halo 2 look exactly the same. The only difference are the cuts scenes are better in the sequel.

It is basically the same game with new guns, vehicles, and levels. I would call it more of an expansion than a sequel.

It is what Halo should have been if Bungie hadnt rushed it

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 11/11/04 - 2:35 AM Permalink

I think one of the things for me with the first Halo, is that unlike any other FPS i've played, Halo absolutely OOZED atmosphere. I'd come close to saying that of any game i've played, it's the one that had the biggest effect of making me forget everything else and just getting absorbed by the game. The discovery of the Flood, is probably number 1 on my "All time greatest gaming moments" list. I haven't played Doom 3 yet though, so maybe that will ooze more atmosphere? Certainly looking forward to Halo 2 though.
I would say Halo 2 is easily more highly anticipated than Doom 3, and either more or as anticipated as Half-life 2. Simple test...check the pre-order numbers.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 11/11/04 - 2:49 AM Permalink

I have to agree with Blitz on this, its difficult to say exactly what it is about Halo, its just the sort of game that pulls you in and captures your absolute attention.

quote:I haven't played Doom 3 yet though, so maybe that will ooze more atmosphere?There aren't many things in Doom 3 that don't ooze in one sense or another...

Still waiting to play Halo 2...

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 11/11/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Either way, this Christmas is going to be one hell of a Christmas for gamers... problem is the ca$h flow needed for so many good games... meh, i can buy most of them but will only buy several [:)].

Anyway, Christmas is coming early for us gamers [:)].

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 11/11/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

and the return of the king extended dvds - so there's another 70 odd $$ to add to the christmas list

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 8:51 PM Permalink

And while I'm at it, here's a [url="http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2478"]negative review of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas[/url] [:D]

Note, the above review is an experiment also...quote:"Now friends, if you'll remember correctly the whole point of this shit is to circulate the link to the Truth Media article throughout the Grand Theft Auto community and see how many people you can trick into thinking it's a real, legitimate review."

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 12/11/04 - 2:26 AM Permalink

I liked Halo and I liked Halo 2.

I thought that the problems that Halo had (stop starting action), were fixed up in Halo 2. It is just pretty much constant action. Very little pauses this time. A few variations in game play (protecting and a few more rally areas :D ). The story is a bit better than the original.

My only two major complaints with Halo 2 (at the moment), are that it is too friggen short. My friend and I got it and played co-op. We finished it in 10 hours :( One of the best things about Halo was that it didn't have bosses. Halo 2 does...

Chances are, if you thought Halo was ordinary and overhyped, then you will here as well.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 12/11/04 - 10:06 AM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:45 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Saw that this morning, but it made me wonder, if it keeps selling at that rate nearly every XBox owner will have a copy and then it will probably slow down in sales very fast.

Anyway, my bet is Half-Life 2 will work its way to the top some week, after all, theres nothing good out besides Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 [:o)].

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

I've heard its ok, but not that much better then the originals.

The ca$h is on Halo 2 & Half-Life 2 sugar! [;)]

Submitted by Coralon (not verified) on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:23 PM Permalink

I just finished it on Heroic difficulty and it took 16hrs, maybe less seeing as its only been 4 days since release.
I thought it was an excellent game even though the ending was not as good as expected and it was shorter than i expected. Still it is not right for me to be annoyed when it is my own fault for expecting a 100% perfect game. I think this is the same with many people and when a 9.8/10 game gets frowned upon because its not perfect, I wonder about the nature of the industry.

Its a fantastic game, which in my opinion is a development masterpiece up there with (but not quite equal to) Metal Gear Solid.

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 7:47 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by wardenjam

I thought the original Halo's multiplayer was terrible, but thats probably because my friends always play the same level 24/7 which is really boring, the same level for 3 hours one night, damn i was bored.

I might just try playing co-op with one of my friends who has a copy, i always had a bit of fun with co-op.

Submitted by Ponkavitch (not verified) on Sun, 14/11/04 - 1:17 AM Permalink

yer Halo 2's MP maps are very well designed. Also there are so many game types with so many variables that you could play for hours without repeating a match. The online works great too.

I juss completed the last level on legendary and there was no alternate ending like the 1st unfortunately. unless you have to complete every level on legendary.... [xx(]

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 17/11/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Finally got around to playing the campaign in the last few days. I really did not expect the ending... I was still waiting for another level when the credits came on screen. Still, I enjoyed the game quite a bit, though nothing really new other than dual weapons, it was still a lot of fun. However, I do like how they expanded on the covenant a lot more than in the first.

Pity the ending had no sort of closure at all... it makes waiting for Halo 3 even worse. [:p]

At least I've got it out of the way for when I pick up Halflife 2 tomorrow!

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 21/11/04 - 12:21 PM Permalink

Halo 1 bored me sensless, it was nothing new if you've even played a sub par PC FPS at that time, Halo 2 doesn't really interest me and after playing it for a while I can't see myself picking it up again, and whats with the graphical glitches? Bad form guys.

Btw, Half life 2 is amazing, everything else pales in comparison. [:P]

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 21/11/04 - 1:06 PM Permalink

Just had a 5 hour Halo 2 Multiplayer session. While the singleplayer might not be the most original, the multiplayer is damn fun, and there is so much customisation with different modes you can play. Good fun!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 22/11/04 - 6:12 AM Permalink

i had more fun playing a couple of hours of multiplayer in Halo 1 than i did playing through the entire singleplayer game.