Skip to main content

Australian & New Zealand game education

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on

** UPDATE **

There is a new section up on Sumea with a listing of all the places to study game development in Australia and New Zealand. You can click on the education link at the top of the page, or here. I am currently filling in the database with information - if I have left any out, please send me

details here

At the moment, I'm only putting in entries where further information on game development courses can be directly found on the institutions website. A lot of the links below don't point to anything but the institutions main page, so they have not been added.

If you did go to any relevant game development courses, please post details/comments here, and I will add it to the list!

Oh, there's small rundown on local game-related courses at atomicmpc. Click here to read it!

Here's an article at mycareer.com.au with David Giles from the Academy of Interactive Entertainment Melbourne about Game Development Education... Read it here!

STUDENT CHECKLIST: Questions that every potential games student should ask - from the GDAA website

New South Wales

Charles Sturt University - www.csu.edu.au

University of Technology, Sydney - details at www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~ypisan

ACT

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.act.edu.au

Queensland

Qantm - www.qantm.com.au

Griffith University - www.gu.edu.au

Queensland University of Technology - www.qut.edu.au

University of Queensland - www.uq.edu.au

Melbourne

Crash-Ed - crash-ed.com

Melbourne International College - www.melbournecollege.edu.au

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.vic.edu.au (first semester starts in 2004)

La Trobe University - www.latrobe.edu.au/cs/games-tech/index.php Advanced C++ Programming News Post - Games Technology Research Lab <--- NEW ****

Monash University - www.monash.edu.au

RMIT University - www.rmit.edu.au

Swinburne University of Technology - www.swin.edu.au

South Australia

University of South Australia - www.unisa.edu.au

Tafe South Australia - game art course

Western Australia

Murdoch University - Bachelor of Science in Games Technology - www.it.murdoch.edu.au/teaching/gamestech.html

New Zealand

Media Design School - www.mediadesign.school.nz/index.cfm/Content/pSQsItOcItOlYq/Page/COURSES…

University of Otago - www.cs.otago.ac.nz/cosc360

New Zealanders! Visit the New Zealand Game Developers forum for queries on education! Definately a great resource there.

Tasmania

University of Tasmania offers a unit in Game Development in the Honours (4th) year... Visit here for details...Souri2007-07-25 11:05:58

Submitted by Acer on Mon, 15/03/04 - 12:47 PM Permalink

Well I have started my 1st year of the Games technology degree in Murdoch Perth W.A. Currently in the 4th week.

This semster is mainly an introduction to programming, multimedia and computational maths, next semester is principles of computer science, and fundamentals of computer systems with more maths.
I cant wait for next year when we will do, computer graphics, inteligent
systems and games design and programming.
And the last year there is a games technology project where i assume you will work in a team to create a game!!!
Cant wait to get my hands dirty in gaming code, woohooo

This degree seems extremely games related, not just programming, multimedia or just animation. It seems to be a mixed bag of goodies.
Ill keep you posed on how it's going.

Acer

Submitted by Zoot on Wed, 31/03/04 - 9:49 PM Permalink

Anyone here graduated from a game dev. course in Australia apart from AIE Canberra? Anyone? Please identify yerselves...

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 01/04/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

there are a few QANTM people around like HazarD

Submitted by bloody footy on Fri, 02/04/04 - 1:07 PM Permalink

I was a graduate of QANTM, nothing to be proud of.

Submitted by bloody footy on Fri, 02/04/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

I'll MSN u bullet when I see you online next.

For what I can say in public -
We had an teacher turnover of 150%, we had 5 teachers during the course and we saw 8 come and go - no teacher that we started with was there at the end of the course (this is a one year course btw).
No disciplanary action was ever taken against any students (and there were several occasions were it was needed). In fact no teacher was allowed to throw a student out of a classroom (they could be as disruptive as they wanted and nothing could be done, the studetns knew this).
Playing games during class time was ALLOWED because it was 'research'.

Submitted by Au2 on Sun, 04/04/04 - 7:45 AM Permalink

Hi, I live in SA and really want to pursue an career in the gaming industry (game artist/mapper)

I looked on the uniSA site listed on the first page of this thread but couldn?t find ?game development etc? after a search.

Thanx in advance

Mathew

Submitted by souri on Sun, 11/04/04 - 2:17 PM Permalink

I got that from the GDAA's list of places teaching game development.. You'll have to email/call them (the university) to find out the exact details. Let us know if you find out more!

Submitted by obsolete on Fri, 30/04/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

well, im new here... and im glad i came across this forum, and inparticular this thread.

i live in perth and ive always been under the assumption that there are no game dev courses here.

i see murdoch has finally put one together, i only wish they did 4 years ago ;)

im currently in the:
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) / Bachelor of Science (Computer)
at curtin university.
Im in my 5th year and i have literally lost all motivation :(
For anyone considering a 5 year course, DONT DO IT! ;)

Anyways, assuming i pass everything this year (im on a 79% average for my first 4 years... but the way my motivation is this year im abit afraid) i am planning on possibly taking up a game dev course.

Anyways, enough rambling, what i want to know is:
what is the BEST course in australia for games development?

ill probably consider the murdoch course simply for the locality of it, but im always willing to travel over east.

any thoughts?

thanks for ur time guys

-obsolete

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 13/05/04 - 1:57 AM Permalink

obsolete: wow, double degree in computer engineering and computer science - I don't blame you for losing motivation, that's some heavy work load you've got there! Anyway, for what it's worth I would just like to try and encourage you to stick it out that last bit and put in the necessary effort, because with that kind of a qualification you could really go places.

BTW, I don't think there is such a thing as a BEST course for anything, it's just really choosing what's right for you.

Personally if I were in your situation, I wouldn?t even bother with a games programming course, as all you really need now is lots of practice games programming in your spare time. If you have a reasonably good game demo and a double degree in IT, you shouldn't have many problems breaking into the games industry. Just concentrate on your current course, and when you finish dive into a games programming book or two, and you should go a long way. Maybe you could try reading some sort of motivation book or something to help with your final year? I found Anthony Robbins to be pretty helpful.. Anyway, keep at it, and good luck! [:)]

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

I goto Qantm aswell, in brisbane. I think I speak for most of the BIE(bachelor of interactive entertainment, animation) people that we have learnt hardly anything, when it comes to modelling etc. 'advanced 3d' we did the joan of arc tutorial off the web

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 2:20 AM Permalink

ahhh qantm hasnt changed a bit then [:(] - youll learn more from the other students around you denz.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:10 AM Permalink

oh you went to qantm in brisbane to hazard? Yeah, thats entirely true, most of it is self learning.Not all is bad though, there are some really good classes/teachers, it's just those classes have nothing to do with the art side of things.

Bloody Footy, I think that aspect has changed a bit. We're no longer allowed to play games and people get kicked out of lectures/labs now and then.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:26 AM Permalink

Sure did denz still in brisbane [:D] steve rocks as a tutor, and me and my fiance catch up with him often. try drain that guy of all hes worth!!! hes a wealth of animation / modelling goodness.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:44 AM Permalink

cool. How long ago? It's good to see you've got your own company going and everything [:D]

Unfortunately I don't have any of those teachers heh. Diploma students always get the good teachers![:(!]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Just finished it last year. [:)] not the end of the year intake but finished up half way for me, but fiancee finished at the end of the year.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 20/05/04 - 9:06 AM Permalink

quote:I goto Qantm aswell, in brisbane. I think I speak for most of the BIE(bachelor of interactive entertainment, animation) people that we have learnt hardly anything, when it comes to modelling etc. 'advanced 3d' we did the joan of arc tutorial off the web

Wow, is it really that bad? I did the TAFE version of the QANTM Diploma course, and thought it only sucked because it was TAFE. I was considering doing the QANTM Bachelor down the track, but maybe I?d be better off doing a regular course at QUT or something? At least that is more widely recognised, even if most of it isn?t game related. It?s a tough call. I guess it all depends on self-motivation.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 9:16 PM Permalink

hazard, awsome [:)]

Palantir, I wouldn't go dismissing Qantm because of what I've said, you should get more opinions. It's good, but yeah self learning is a major part of it, I just don't think some of my lecturers are up to scratch.

About Qantm being recognised. Next Tuesday some speakers from Krome are coming to qantm for a seminar [:D] can't wait. It says admission:$5.00 and students $3.00. So I guess that means non-students can attend aswell.
[url]https://post.qantm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551[/url]

Submitted by shiva on Thu, 20/05/04 - 10:22 PM Permalink

wow, that aint so nice...
we used to get into the industry talks for free

Submitted by denz on Fri, 21/05/04 - 12:14 AM Permalink

hehe yeah, sucks [:(]

Submitted by greg on Sat, 22/05/04 - 1:47 AM Permalink

Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia, is commencing a 2 year Advanced Diploma in Multimedia (Computer Games Development) in the year 2005. This wil be a TAFE course, meaning fees are significantly less than University fees. For further details please email games@vu.edu.au

This is a great resource, Greg Giannis

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 22/05/04 - 2:31 AM Permalink

Yeah i was just thinking teh same thing shiva - krome / atari and a couple others were all free for us - but, business is business [:D]

Hey Denz - i here you get Mcswan for Animation/Modelling class is that correct ?

Submitted by shiva on Sat, 22/05/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

im not sure we ever saw atari? but thats beside the point

Submitted by denz on Sat, 22/05/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

haha yeah, McSwan. How'd you know? He's a pretty cool bloke but yeah, read my other posts [:)] Did you have him aswell?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 22/05/04 - 9:07 AM Permalink

Talk to him on and off again, seems a bit funny to me having a qualified code teacher - for an modelling and animation tutor does it not, whilst someone like steve B who knows his shit with max / maya - sits idly by working ONLY with diploma students. - doesnt make any sense to me whatsoever.

But they have there reasons. Mcswan gathered up a whole bunch or resources from all of our industry night projects - not sure what he did with them - but youve probably seen some of em around :D.

Shiva : i just remember it wasnt atari it was the guy from Electronic Arts [:P]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 4:20 AM Permalink

I wish i could see the funny side :( hehe. hmm, they must prioritise diploma over bachelor for some reason.

Whats these resources? I've been on holiday for two weeks [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 23/05/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

im not in any way saying that hes no good at art - but it makes a helluva lot more sense to me to have someone with 10+ years experience with max teaching - rather than a programmer with 6+ months, especially from an artists point of view.

He does a good job tho from what i hear - just a limited resource, as anyone would be with such little experience.

Submitted by shiva on Sun, 23/05/04 - 5:18 AM Permalink

well we used to LAN together a number of years ago, and he was doing stuff with MAX back then, so he's had a few years experience at least i guess
but i guess that's beside the point

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 7:31 AM Permalink

totally agreed. I feel bad now though, focusing on one teacher. He does a good job and is dedicated to his teaching, and would probably know hell of alot more about max then I would.

That being said, I don't care how much you know about max, it doesn't make you a good modeller/artist.
That side of things has sort of been ignored here at qantm.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 23/05/04 - 9:20 AM Permalink

sorry yeah, thats what i should have said, lining up the tutors ( i know it sounds bad ) but it IS a teaching facility is it not ? if i had to pick a tutor to tech the art classes, i would pick steve b, not Mcswan.

Its not a personality test or anything else - they are both great guys. just the students are loosing out by not receiving the best tutilage they could. - at least when i was there i had geordie / dean ( malus on this forum ) and steve to leech info from. Since weve done our classes it seems alot has changed at qantm - whole new management etc.

From the sounds of it the impact of this is rather drastic.

Posted by souri on

** UPDATE **

There is a new section up on Sumea with a listing of all the places to study game development in Australia and New Zealand. You can click on the education link at the top of the page, or here. I am currently filling in the database with information - if I have left any out, please send me

details here

At the moment, I'm only putting in entries where further information on game development courses can be directly found on the institutions website. A lot of the links below don't point to anything but the institutions main page, so they have not been added.

If you did go to any relevant game development courses, please post details/comments here, and I will add it to the list!

Oh, there's small rundown on local game-related courses at atomicmpc. Click here to read it!

Here's an article at mycareer.com.au with David Giles from the Academy of Interactive Entertainment Melbourne about Game Development Education... Read it here!

STUDENT CHECKLIST: Questions that every potential games student should ask - from the GDAA website

New South Wales

Charles Sturt University - www.csu.edu.au

University of Technology, Sydney - details at www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~ypisan

ACT

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.act.edu.au

Queensland

Qantm - www.qantm.com.au

Griffith University - www.gu.edu.au

Queensland University of Technology - www.qut.edu.au

University of Queensland - www.uq.edu.au

Melbourne

Crash-Ed - crash-ed.com

Melbourne International College - www.melbournecollege.edu.au

Academy of Interactive Entertainment - www.aie.vic.edu.au (first semester starts in 2004)

La Trobe University - www.latrobe.edu.au/cs/games-tech/index.php Advanced C++ Programming News Post - Games Technology Research Lab <--- NEW ****

Monash University - www.monash.edu.au

RMIT University - www.rmit.edu.au

Swinburne University of Technology - www.swin.edu.au

South Australia

University of South Australia - www.unisa.edu.au

Tafe South Australia - game art course

Western Australia

Murdoch University - Bachelor of Science in Games Technology - www.it.murdoch.edu.au/teaching/gamestech.html

New Zealand

Media Design School - www.mediadesign.school.nz/index.cfm/Content/pSQsItOcItOlYq/Page/COURSES…

University of Otago - www.cs.otago.ac.nz/cosc360

New Zealanders! Visit the New Zealand Game Developers forum for queries on education! Definately a great resource there.

Tasmania

University of Tasmania offers a unit in Game Development in the Honours (4th) year... Visit here for details...Souri2007-07-25 11:05:58

Submitted by Acer on Mon, 15/03/04 - 12:47 PM Permalink

Well I have started my 1st year of the Games technology degree in Murdoch Perth W.A. Currently in the 4th week.

This semster is mainly an introduction to programming, multimedia and computational maths, next semester is principles of computer science, and fundamentals of computer systems with more maths.
I cant wait for next year when we will do, computer graphics, inteligent
systems and games design and programming.
And the last year there is a games technology project where i assume you will work in a team to create a game!!!
Cant wait to get my hands dirty in gaming code, woohooo

This degree seems extremely games related, not just programming, multimedia or just animation. It seems to be a mixed bag of goodies.
Ill keep you posed on how it's going.

Acer

Submitted by Zoot on Wed, 31/03/04 - 9:49 PM Permalink

Anyone here graduated from a game dev. course in Australia apart from AIE Canberra? Anyone? Please identify yerselves...

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 01/04/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

there are a few QANTM people around like HazarD

Submitted by bloody footy on Fri, 02/04/04 - 1:07 PM Permalink

I was a graduate of QANTM, nothing to be proud of.

Submitted by bloody footy on Fri, 02/04/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

I'll MSN u bullet when I see you online next.

For what I can say in public -
We had an teacher turnover of 150%, we had 5 teachers during the course and we saw 8 come and go - no teacher that we started with was there at the end of the course (this is a one year course btw).
No disciplanary action was ever taken against any students (and there were several occasions were it was needed). In fact no teacher was allowed to throw a student out of a classroom (they could be as disruptive as they wanted and nothing could be done, the studetns knew this).
Playing games during class time was ALLOWED because it was 'research'.

Submitted by Au2 on Sun, 04/04/04 - 7:45 AM Permalink

Hi, I live in SA and really want to pursue an career in the gaming industry (game artist/mapper)

I looked on the uniSA site listed on the first page of this thread but couldn?t find ?game development etc? after a search.

Thanx in advance

Mathew

Submitted by souri on Sun, 11/04/04 - 2:17 PM Permalink

I got that from the GDAA's list of places teaching game development.. You'll have to email/call them (the university) to find out the exact details. Let us know if you find out more!

Submitted by obsolete on Fri, 30/04/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

well, im new here... and im glad i came across this forum, and inparticular this thread.

i live in perth and ive always been under the assumption that there are no game dev courses here.

i see murdoch has finally put one together, i only wish they did 4 years ago ;)

im currently in the:
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) / Bachelor of Science (Computer)
at curtin university.
Im in my 5th year and i have literally lost all motivation :(
For anyone considering a 5 year course, DONT DO IT! ;)

Anyways, assuming i pass everything this year (im on a 79% average for my first 4 years... but the way my motivation is this year im abit afraid) i am planning on possibly taking up a game dev course.

Anyways, enough rambling, what i want to know is:
what is the BEST course in australia for games development?

ill probably consider the murdoch course simply for the locality of it, but im always willing to travel over east.

any thoughts?

thanks for ur time guys

-obsolete

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 13/05/04 - 1:57 AM Permalink

obsolete: wow, double degree in computer engineering and computer science - I don't blame you for losing motivation, that's some heavy work load you've got there! Anyway, for what it's worth I would just like to try and encourage you to stick it out that last bit and put in the necessary effort, because with that kind of a qualification you could really go places.

BTW, I don't think there is such a thing as a BEST course for anything, it's just really choosing what's right for you.

Personally if I were in your situation, I wouldn?t even bother with a games programming course, as all you really need now is lots of practice games programming in your spare time. If you have a reasonably good game demo and a double degree in IT, you shouldn't have many problems breaking into the games industry. Just concentrate on your current course, and when you finish dive into a games programming book or two, and you should go a long way. Maybe you could try reading some sort of motivation book or something to help with your final year? I found Anthony Robbins to be pretty helpful.. Anyway, keep at it, and good luck! [:)]

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

I goto Qantm aswell, in brisbane. I think I speak for most of the BIE(bachelor of interactive entertainment, animation) people that we have learnt hardly anything, when it comes to modelling etc. 'advanced 3d' we did the joan of arc tutorial off the web

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 2:20 AM Permalink

ahhh qantm hasnt changed a bit then [:(] - youll learn more from the other students around you denz.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:10 AM Permalink

oh you went to qantm in brisbane to hazard? Yeah, thats entirely true, most of it is self learning.Not all is bad though, there are some really good classes/teachers, it's just those classes have nothing to do with the art side of things.

Bloody Footy, I think that aspect has changed a bit. We're no longer allowed to play games and people get kicked out of lectures/labs now and then.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:26 AM Permalink

Sure did denz still in brisbane [:D] steve rocks as a tutor, and me and my fiance catch up with him often. try drain that guy of all hes worth!!! hes a wealth of animation / modelling goodness.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:44 AM Permalink

cool. How long ago? It's good to see you've got your own company going and everything [:D]

Unfortunately I don't have any of those teachers heh. Diploma students always get the good teachers![:(!]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Just finished it last year. [:)] not the end of the year intake but finished up half way for me, but fiancee finished at the end of the year.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 20/05/04 - 9:06 AM Permalink

quote:I goto Qantm aswell, in brisbane. I think I speak for most of the BIE(bachelor of interactive entertainment, animation) people that we have learnt hardly anything, when it comes to modelling etc. 'advanced 3d' we did the joan of arc tutorial off the web

Wow, is it really that bad? I did the TAFE version of the QANTM Diploma course, and thought it only sucked because it was TAFE. I was considering doing the QANTM Bachelor down the track, but maybe I?d be better off doing a regular course at QUT or something? At least that is more widely recognised, even if most of it isn?t game related. It?s a tough call. I guess it all depends on self-motivation.

Submitted by denz on Thu, 20/05/04 - 9:16 PM Permalink

hazard, awsome [:)]

Palantir, I wouldn't go dismissing Qantm because of what I've said, you should get more opinions. It's good, but yeah self learning is a major part of it, I just don't think some of my lecturers are up to scratch.

About Qantm being recognised. Next Tuesday some speakers from Krome are coming to qantm for a seminar [:D] can't wait. It says admission:$5.00 and students $3.00. So I guess that means non-students can attend aswell.
[url]https://post.qantm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551[/url]

Submitted by shiva on Thu, 20/05/04 - 10:22 PM Permalink

wow, that aint so nice...
we used to get into the industry talks for free

Submitted by denz on Fri, 21/05/04 - 12:14 AM Permalink

hehe yeah, sucks [:(]

Submitted by greg on Sat, 22/05/04 - 1:47 AM Permalink

Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia, is commencing a 2 year Advanced Diploma in Multimedia (Computer Games Development) in the year 2005. This wil be a TAFE course, meaning fees are significantly less than University fees. For further details please email games@vu.edu.au

This is a great resource, Greg Giannis

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 22/05/04 - 2:31 AM Permalink

Yeah i was just thinking teh same thing shiva - krome / atari and a couple others were all free for us - but, business is business [:D]

Hey Denz - i here you get Mcswan for Animation/Modelling class is that correct ?

Submitted by shiva on Sat, 22/05/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

im not sure we ever saw atari? but thats beside the point

Submitted by denz on Sat, 22/05/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

haha yeah, McSwan. How'd you know? He's a pretty cool bloke but yeah, read my other posts [:)] Did you have him aswell?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 22/05/04 - 9:07 AM Permalink

Talk to him on and off again, seems a bit funny to me having a qualified code teacher - for an modelling and animation tutor does it not, whilst someone like steve B who knows his shit with max / maya - sits idly by working ONLY with diploma students. - doesnt make any sense to me whatsoever.

But they have there reasons. Mcswan gathered up a whole bunch or resources from all of our industry night projects - not sure what he did with them - but youve probably seen some of em around :D.

Shiva : i just remember it wasnt atari it was the guy from Electronic Arts [:P]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 4:20 AM Permalink

I wish i could see the funny side :( hehe. hmm, they must prioritise diploma over bachelor for some reason.

Whats these resources? I've been on holiday for two weeks [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 23/05/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

im not in any way saying that hes no good at art - but it makes a helluva lot more sense to me to have someone with 10+ years experience with max teaching - rather than a programmer with 6+ months, especially from an artists point of view.

He does a good job tho from what i hear - just a limited resource, as anyone would be with such little experience.

Submitted by shiva on Sun, 23/05/04 - 5:18 AM Permalink

well we used to LAN together a number of years ago, and he was doing stuff with MAX back then, so he's had a few years experience at least i guess
but i guess that's beside the point

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 7:31 AM Permalink

totally agreed. I feel bad now though, focusing on one teacher. He does a good job and is dedicated to his teaching, and would probably know hell of alot more about max then I would.

That being said, I don't care how much you know about max, it doesn't make you a good modeller/artist.
That side of things has sort of been ignored here at qantm.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 23/05/04 - 9:20 AM Permalink

sorry yeah, thats what i should have said, lining up the tutors ( i know it sounds bad ) but it IS a teaching facility is it not ? if i had to pick a tutor to tech the art classes, i would pick steve b, not Mcswan.

Its not a personality test or anything else - they are both great guys. just the students are loosing out by not receiving the best tutilage they could. - at least when i was there i had geordie / dean ( malus on this forum ) and steve to leech info from. Since weve done our classes it seems alot has changed at qantm - whole new management etc.

From the sounds of it the impact of this is rather drastic.