Skip to main content

Hi from Berlin

Submitted by sylvius on
Forum

Hi there,

since I am lurking in this forum for quite a while now (could be a couple of months really[:I] ) I think it's time to say hi.

I am a working in the german gameindustry since 1996, focusing on Audio and Gamedesign. My first game was "Urban Assault", published by Microsoft in 1998. My most recent game was "Project Nomads", released in 2002.

There are a couple of reasons why a gamecrazy german would like to visit Australia, but methinks it would be best to discuss this over a couple of glasses of your very fine brews.

I will be in Melbourne during the AGDC and would really like meet you guys there. So I'll jump straight over to the "AGDC Sumea Gathering" thread, hoping to see you in the near future.

All the best
Sylvius

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 10/11/03 - 1:28 AM Permalink

Our beer is better than your beer :P
Hope to see you there!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 10/11/03 - 2:52 AM Permalink

Don't say that Blitz...

But of course if he wants to disprove that then he's welcome to bring some good German beer over here :-)

Submitted by sylvius on Mon, 10/11/03 - 6:58 PM Permalink

Beer - like every art - needs an audience. The audience is always part of the performance and will influence the aesthetic result.

If we think of the beer as the actor, the glass would be the stage and the drinker the audience. So as we all know, a cheerfull and goodhearted audience will always enhance the show.

This brings us to the good 'ole stereotypes, i.e the germans being the humorless and serious types, whereas the australians being friendly and cheerfull...

But what does this tells us about the quality of the beer? Could it be possible that the germans just have to brew an excellent beer just because they are such a bad audience? And that the always happy, cheerfull australians could drink yellow water with bubbles and foam and still enjoy an exquisite brew? [:D]

I think I will have to pick up the gauntlet and bring some samples along...

But anyway, the best beer comes from bohemia, IMHO

see you soon...

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 10/11/03 - 9:07 PM Permalink

Ive been to Berlin, great city, excellent clubs and I'm sorry Blitz but there beer walks all over the dribble we make, actually all European beer does. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 11/11/03 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Malus: Yeah I thought so when I was over there, but then I was a weee bit underage, even in Germany.

sylvius: Cool, I look forward to you sharing the brew that you bring along. Will this be a part of the Saturday thing?

Submitted by sylvius on Tue, 11/11/03 - 10:44 AM Permalink

Allright, Saturday will see the legendary, one-and-only, tastebud-blasting

"Great Oz-Kraut Beer Clash"

So be it!

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 11/11/03 - 1:22 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by sylvius

And that the always happy, cheerfull australians could drink yellow water with bubbles and foam and still enjoy an exquisite brew? [:D]

Well considering we drink stuff like Powers Gold, XXXX, VB, KB, and numerous others, I think its safe to say that your statement is true.

Submitted by sylvius on Tue, 11/11/03 - 3:54 PM Permalink

Ouch, this wasn't a statement! No! I would NEVER say autralian beer is just yellow water with bubbles. It was just a play of thoughts. I do not want to face a lynch-mob when I arrive in Melbourne. [8D]

I tasted a couple of your very fine brews when I stayed in Sydney in 1996 and I really liked all of them (well, there was one very cheap one, which had some weak points to be honest [:)] ) Hahn Ice was new on the market then and quickly became my favourite. Doest it still exist? VB is a very solid brew IMHO and I had a great night with XXXX and some friends back then.

Hey, I want to make friends in Melbourne and I think it's not wise to do this by starting to insult one of your national symbols. Hmmm, is it possible to insult a beer? Good question, we should try this later on saturday night [xx(][:D][xx(]

see you soon

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 12/11/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

I would bring over some Coopers Pale Ale, but that's one of the cheaper beers over here in Adelaide.

However I would say that VB is yellow water with bubbles, but I haven't tasted any of the others.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 12/11/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

A friend of mine absolutely abhors VB.. wouldn't touch it if it were free! I don't mind it, but I would prefer others. I don't think you can bring beer through customs if you wanted to?! [;)] (There's a few German/Austrian community clubs where you can have a taste of their beer.) And yes, Hahn Ice still exists.. [:)]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 12/11/03 - 1:18 AM Permalink

Crown Lager is the best but it's Kiwi beer.[:p]

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 12/11/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

I'm sure you could bring beer through customs, it would be strange to allow other alcohol (spirits, wine) but not beer...
I love VB (well did when i actually drank) and Melbourne bitter was also a favourite.
The best way to insult a beer is to not drink it :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 12/11/03 - 10:23 AM Permalink

I don't like VB... I find it has a really foul taste. Still of course you can have some great nights on the stuff, just down those first few glasses quickly and you'll be fine. My drop of preference at the moment is Hahn Premium.

Submitted by sylvius on Fri, 14/11/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

ok, I am currently selecting the chosen few who will be my combatants for the kraut-oz beer clash. The weight limitation on luggage being a restricting factor, I am selecting a few representatives. (Please correct german grammar here....)

There will be nice examples of light, sweet, bitter, dark and strong brews.

See you all soon....

Sylvius

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 15/11/03 - 2:55 AM Permalink

Hrm, I guess we all have to select some decent Aussie beers to compete with that...

For the light category I could bring over some Coopers Pale Ale's...

Bitter - Southwark Bitter?
Dark - I have no idea here
Strong - Even less here...

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 15/11/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

Hey Sylvius,

Feel free to bring me a heffaweisen *spelling* I really loved my wheat beers! If I remember right someone said that wheat beers are German.

Hope to see you at the Thursday night dinner - if not just look for the crazy german guy? :)

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 17/11/03 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Oh well, a friend of mine suggested these:
Light: Cascade Light
Dark: Coopers Dark Ale
Strong: James Squire Strong Ale (or Double Malt)
Bitter: Southwark Bitter

I guess if you can get Cascade, Southwark and James Squire in Melb then I only have to bring over the Dark...

Submitted by Daemin (not verified) on Mon, 17/11/03 - 4:20 AM Permalink

Get Coopers extra stout for your dark beer, seeing as it is the best stout in australia ;).

Submitted by sylvius on Mon, 17/11/03 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Ok, this is getting serious. I will bring 3 Bottles: a naturally brewed Hefeweizen, a strong beer called "Aventinus" and a dark beer, brewed by a company founded in 1544.

I wanted to bring a "Oktoberfest" beer but it smashed on the backseat of my car. Damn cheap bottle [:(!]

I will be boarding my plane in about 12 hours time and will arrive in Melbourne on Tuesday moring. See you soon!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 17/11/03 - 7:48 AM Permalink

Hurray! My favourite topic!! Beer!!

quote:Originally posted by Happy Camper

Crown Lager is brewed at the Carlton United Breweries. Err.. last time I checked, it's still in Australian hands :)
You might have been thinking of 'Steinlager'.. That beer is often said to be the worlds best, but I've had better.

The best local beer imo is Boags Strongarm Bitter. Damn good beer, cheap, great taste.. Go try some!!

My favourite beer, would have to be a Grolsch.. The dutch, belgians and germans brew my favourite beers, it's a pity they're so expensive down here :(.

Wish I could be down there, sounds like it's gonna be a fun weekend :)

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 17/11/03 - 8:58 PM Permalink

Purity laws have been in Germany for centuries my friends, which generally means better quality, no preservatives etc.

German beer is by far the best, then Dutch, Belgian and the Checkz Republic (spelt that wrong I know), the UK is good but not enough to beat mainland Europe, Australia/NZ have a decent batch of mediocre beers but nothing totally excellent and America makes beer flavoured water. [:P]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 18/11/03 - 1:22 AM Permalink

I stand corrected SB, I don't drink that much beer, most of the time I drink Bourbon or scotch. Sometimes Vodka but not that often.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 18/11/03 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Don't get me started on spirits !! [:P]

Posted by sylvius on
Forum

Hi there,

since I am lurking in this forum for quite a while now (could be a couple of months really[:I] ) I think it's time to say hi.

I am a working in the german gameindustry since 1996, focusing on Audio and Gamedesign. My first game was "Urban Assault", published by Microsoft in 1998. My most recent game was "Project Nomads", released in 2002.

There are a couple of reasons why a gamecrazy german would like to visit Australia, but methinks it would be best to discuss this over a couple of glasses of your very fine brews.

I will be in Melbourne during the AGDC and would really like meet you guys there. So I'll jump straight over to the "AGDC Sumea Gathering" thread, hoping to see you in the near future.

All the best
Sylvius

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 10/11/03 - 1:28 AM Permalink

Our beer is better than your beer :P
Hope to see you there!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 10/11/03 - 2:52 AM Permalink

Don't say that Blitz...

But of course if he wants to disprove that then he's welcome to bring some good German beer over here :-)

Submitted by sylvius on Mon, 10/11/03 - 6:58 PM Permalink

Beer - like every art - needs an audience. The audience is always part of the performance and will influence the aesthetic result.

If we think of the beer as the actor, the glass would be the stage and the drinker the audience. So as we all know, a cheerfull and goodhearted audience will always enhance the show.

This brings us to the good 'ole stereotypes, i.e the germans being the humorless and serious types, whereas the australians being friendly and cheerfull...

But what does this tells us about the quality of the beer? Could it be possible that the germans just have to brew an excellent beer just because they are such a bad audience? And that the always happy, cheerfull australians could drink yellow water with bubbles and foam and still enjoy an exquisite brew? [:D]

I think I will have to pick up the gauntlet and bring some samples along...

But anyway, the best beer comes from bohemia, IMHO

see you soon...

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 10/11/03 - 9:07 PM Permalink

Ive been to Berlin, great city, excellent clubs and I'm sorry Blitz but there beer walks all over the dribble we make, actually all European beer does. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 11/11/03 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Malus: Yeah I thought so when I was over there, but then I was a weee bit underage, even in Germany.

sylvius: Cool, I look forward to you sharing the brew that you bring along. Will this be a part of the Saturday thing?

Submitted by sylvius on Tue, 11/11/03 - 10:44 AM Permalink

Allright, Saturday will see the legendary, one-and-only, tastebud-blasting

"Great Oz-Kraut Beer Clash"

So be it!

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 11/11/03 - 1:22 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by sylvius

And that the always happy, cheerfull australians could drink yellow water with bubbles and foam and still enjoy an exquisite brew? [:D]

Well considering we drink stuff like Powers Gold, XXXX, VB, KB, and numerous others, I think its safe to say that your statement is true.

Submitted by sylvius on Tue, 11/11/03 - 3:54 PM Permalink

Ouch, this wasn't a statement! No! I would NEVER say autralian beer is just yellow water with bubbles. It was just a play of thoughts. I do not want to face a lynch-mob when I arrive in Melbourne. [8D]

I tasted a couple of your very fine brews when I stayed in Sydney in 1996 and I really liked all of them (well, there was one very cheap one, which had some weak points to be honest [:)] ) Hahn Ice was new on the market then and quickly became my favourite. Doest it still exist? VB is a very solid brew IMHO and I had a great night with XXXX and some friends back then.

Hey, I want to make friends in Melbourne and I think it's not wise to do this by starting to insult one of your national symbols. Hmmm, is it possible to insult a beer? Good question, we should try this later on saturday night [xx(][:D][xx(]

see you soon

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 12/11/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

I would bring over some Coopers Pale Ale, but that's one of the cheaper beers over here in Adelaide.

However I would say that VB is yellow water with bubbles, but I haven't tasted any of the others.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 12/11/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

A friend of mine absolutely abhors VB.. wouldn't touch it if it were free! I don't mind it, but I would prefer others. I don't think you can bring beer through customs if you wanted to?! [;)] (There's a few German/Austrian community clubs where you can have a taste of their beer.) And yes, Hahn Ice still exists.. [:)]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 12/11/03 - 1:18 AM Permalink

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 12/11/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

I'm sure you could bring beer through customs, it would be strange to allow other alcohol (spirits, wine) but not beer...
I love VB (well did when i actually drank) and Melbourne bitter was also a favourite.
The best way to insult a beer is to not drink it :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 12/11/03 - 10:23 AM Permalink

I don't like VB... I find it has a really foul taste. Still of course you can have some great nights on the stuff, just down those first few glasses quickly and you'll be fine. My drop of preference at the moment is Hahn Premium.

Submitted by sylvius on Fri, 14/11/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

ok, I am currently selecting the chosen few who will be my combatants for the kraut-oz beer clash. The weight limitation on luggage being a restricting factor, I am selecting a few representatives. (Please correct german grammar here....)

There will be nice examples of light, sweet, bitter, dark and strong brews.

See you all soon....

Sylvius

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 15/11/03 - 2:55 AM Permalink

Hrm, I guess we all have to select some decent Aussie beers to compete with that...

For the light category I could bring over some Coopers Pale Ale's...

Bitter - Southwark Bitter?
Dark - I have no idea here
Strong - Even less here...

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 15/11/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

Hey Sylvius,

Feel free to bring me a heffaweisen *spelling* I really loved my wheat beers! If I remember right someone said that wheat beers are German.

Hope to see you at the Thursday night dinner - if not just look for the crazy german guy? :)

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 17/11/03 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Oh well, a friend of mine suggested these:
Light: Cascade Light
Dark: Coopers Dark Ale
Strong: James Squire Strong Ale (or Double Malt)
Bitter: Southwark Bitter

I guess if you can get Cascade, Southwark and James Squire in Melb then I only have to bring over the Dark...

Submitted by Daemin (not verified) on Mon, 17/11/03 - 4:20 AM Permalink

Get Coopers extra stout for your dark beer, seeing as it is the best stout in australia ;).

Submitted by sylvius on Mon, 17/11/03 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Ok, this is getting serious. I will bring 3 Bottles: a naturally brewed Hefeweizen, a strong beer called "Aventinus" and a dark beer, brewed by a company founded in 1544.

I wanted to bring a "Oktoberfest" beer but it smashed on the backseat of my car. Damn cheap bottle [:(!]

I will be boarding my plane in about 12 hours time and will arrive in Melbourne on Tuesday moring. See you soon!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 17/11/03 - 7:48 AM Permalink

Hurray! My favourite topic!! Beer!!

quote:Originally posted by Happy Camper

Crown Lager is brewed at the Carlton United Breweries. Err.. last time I checked, it's still in Australian hands :)
You might have been thinking of 'Steinlager'.. That beer is often said to be the worlds best, but I've had better.

The best local beer imo is Boags Strongarm Bitter. Damn good beer, cheap, great taste.. Go try some!!

My favourite beer, would have to be a Grolsch.. The dutch, belgians and germans brew my favourite beers, it's a pity they're so expensive down here :(.

Wish I could be down there, sounds like it's gonna be a fun weekend :)

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 17/11/03 - 8:58 PM Permalink

Purity laws have been in Germany for centuries my friends, which generally means better quality, no preservatives etc.

German beer is by far the best, then Dutch, Belgian and the Checkz Republic (spelt that wrong I know), the UK is good but not enough to beat mainland Europe, Australia/NZ have a decent batch of mediocre beers but nothing totally excellent and America makes beer flavoured water. [:P]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 18/11/03 - 1:22 AM Permalink

I stand corrected SB, I don't drink that much beer, most of the time I drink Bourbon or scotch. Sometimes Vodka but not that often.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 18/11/03 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Don't get me started on spirits !! [:P]