Skip to main content

Games? Movies? take your pick

Forum

Just inspired from Chrissum's 'Can you stay alive' thread, I got into thinking about Game/Movie conversions and although I'm sure this has been asked many a time before on this forum, I'm gonna ask again anyway :)

1) Has in your opinion been any standout Game to Movie conversions that you have seen?

2) Has in your opinion been and standout Movie to Game conversions that you have seen?

3) For the budding designers out there, What would be your favourite Movie that you would want to see as a game, and how would you design it?

4) What would be your favourite Game that you would want to see as a Movie, and how would you make it? (What Actors, Director?)

5) Due to the influx of film Directors breaking into TV and Games, What film Director would you most like to see do a game? (Saying PJ's too easy, give an example of what he'd do)

I've only just come up with this off the top of my head so I'll think about my own answers and post later. But for Q)5, I'd have to say I'd love to see John Carpenter put in charge of a game and given access to the "Spore" kinda tech. I'd say it'd be an FPS (he's innovative in other forms) and I'm picturing you'd end up like growing and evolving your own weapon, then as you take off some guy's leg with it, he'd hobble around on the remaining three limbs for a bit before some bio extrusion/tentacle type thing would extend from the wound and he'd start swinging around with it in the rafters or something... fantastic

I was thinking of including comics in this but there've been faar too many of them I think so we'll stick to games.

Submitted by skunx on Thu, 09/03/06 - 10:48 AM Permalink

OK I have to reply to this [:p]

1)Off the top of my head I can't remember any good game to movie conversion, they are all pretty much mediocre at best (Silent Hill movie might change that but I still doubt it somehow). I mean cmon, Tomb raider, Resident evils, Blood rayne, Doom etc are pretty bad any way you look at them.

2)Yes there has! John Carpenters the Thing was converted a couple of years ago and its a fucking gem of a game, highly underrated and did bad in sales but if you like the movies check it out its awesome and it pretty much makes the sequel the director never got to make on film (he was involved in the making of the game btw, if just slightly i'd imagine).
I'm sure there are other good ones but cant think of them.

3)A a psychological mystery/adventure game based loosely on a David Lynch movie!! I mean cmon imagine a game set in Twin Peaks universe, pure gold [:D] (clue: the midget who plays in Carnivale plays a similar role in Twin peaks)
Or a movie based on a Cronenberg film!

4)Err can't really think of any that would make a really really good film. Maybe Tim Burton doing a Grim Fandango would be cool. Yeah actually that would be really cool!

5)I wish Uwe Boll makes as many kickass movies of great or semi-great games coming out as he can [:p] ! (somehow i think my wish will come true).

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:24 AM Permalink

quote:
standout Game to Movie conversions

Not ?standout?, but I did enjoy the Resident evil movies. But then I like every zombie flick. So the answer is no.

quote:
Movie to Game conversions

Nothing great comes to mind. There?s been a few that where a quick bit of fun, but nothing extraordinary. Some of the Lord of the Rings games where okay, I enjoyed Spiderman 2, and Enter the Matrix was interesting.

quote:
favourite Movie that you would want to see as a game

StarGate SG1 goddamn it!! But as for a movie, um, maybe Serenity?

quote:
What would be your favourite Game that you would want to see as a Movie

Max Payne staring David Boreanaz:

[img]http://www.d-boreanaz.com/gallery/albums/albums/angel/misc-season1/ange…]

Of course he?s much older now and would better look the part. It would need to be directed by someone who could adequately pull-off the film noir thing, and it would definitely need to be very dark and violent. I would seriously love to see this movie.

quote:
What film Director would you most like to see do a game

Joss Whedon, complete with sense of humour.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:28 AM Permalink

yeah god bless Uwe Boll hey.......... cause I'm sure as hell no one else will

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:49 AM Permalink

1) no

2) Goldeneye, though that hardly resembled the movie or held a flowing storyline. It excelled on great gameplay, and the only reason I list it here is because it was based on a movie licence.

3) The TV series FireFly, and it would be a stand alone story. Why? because FireFly had such a rich universe that I want to explore it deeper (and being candled no longer can) - thus it would not be a straight conversion of the movie, nor would it follow the storyline of any episode from the series. And besides, I?ve already watched those stories!

4) Deus Ex, only it would be a 20 episode TV series, not a 2 hour movie. It would focus on developing characters, a deep storyline, and well written dialogue - and action and special effects would be secondary and used sparingly and only as necessary - and it would avoid as many matrix/action movie clich?s and stereotypes as possible.

5) Stanley Kubrick, because it would be a deep and engaging piece of interactive art, and would defy genres and conventional game thinking. Unfortunately he's no longer around so:

Joss Whedon because he's a great writer/director and his work is original and engaging, and lends itself well to conventional gameplay, as well having the potential to further the medium in story and character development.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 09/03/06 - 8:37 PM Permalink

quote:
FireFly had such a rich universe that I want to explore it deeper (and being cancled no longer can)

A game based on Firefly/Serenity would be awesome. Also, apparently there is talk of a sequal to Serenity.

I like the idea of a Deus Ex TV series.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:29 PM Permalink

I completely forgot about Goldeneye actually, shame on me, that was one the greatest games ever bloody made.... maybe thats why I no longer accosiated it with a movie licence.

Submitted by Mdobele on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:49 PM Permalink

1) Game to Movie
Whilst not really in the sense of the word my pick is "The Wizard" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098663/
Classic NES and Mario Bros 3! Nintendo Powergloves... cmon its got it all!

2) Movie To Game
Have to agree with GoldenEye on N64.

3) Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy ( Series ). Done in classeic point and click adventure style.

4) Snake Rattle n Roll from NES.
http://www.flyingomelette.com/reviews/nes/snakernr.html
Live action film of two snake heads in an isometric world. Eat evil Nibbly pibblies to grow a tail then jump on a large scale to open the mystical door to the next universe. Its got it all.. Love, Intrique, Nazi's searching for holy relics.

5) Peter Jackson
Purely so he can make a game that might actually take longer then an hour to complete :p

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Damn, those are some good questions. I'll have to have a think about them [:)]

Submitted by Burne on Fri, 10/03/06 - 7:56 AM Permalink

1) I have to say the first Mortal Kombat movie. I watched it so many times.

2) Nothing that stands out but I enjoyed battle for middle earth

3) Jurastic Park would make a good sim game.

4) Warcraft the movie. I suppose Peter Jackson would have to direct it.

5) Guy Ritchie.
He could make an amazing gangsta game with an indepth story full of twists interesting characters and a bit of humor.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 10/03/06 - 8:47 AM Permalink

quote: Damn, those are some good questions. I'll have to have a think about them

Well you can just call me Tony Barber

Ok,

No 1) cannot think of a single thing... though Uwe Boll films do inspire me, its the whole "If this reed can do it then why can't I" kinda thing. Sort of the way in Braveheart Wallace was 'inspired' by his chicky's death to wipe out England.

No 2)Of course as mentioned, Goldeneye (thankyou Limewire) though I actually prefer when a licence deviates from the movie like what Goldeneye did, its like it reinvents it for you as opposed to rehashing. I mean whats the point of recreting a game EXACTLY like the movie, thats just boring, its far more a compliment to the setting I think if you put your own spin on it. Skunx was telling me today that the Thing game actually took place after the movie like a sequal, thats great I think cause it doesnt hamper down the creativity.

The old Star Wars games on the SNES (Mick what are they called again?) there was a version of all three movies and they were just a side scroller where you ran along and hack the shite outta stuff, it was great.

And apparently the Cronicles of Riddick was a wicked one, though the movie did aaaabsolutely nothing for me,(it seemed like just scene after scene of Desiel wearing thoes goggles just so he could pull them off in some stupid way) I admit the game does sound pretty damn cool.

No 3)Ive got a design concept for an aliens game to act as like a 5th story which I think would rock, other than that, I'd like to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen made into a game, though based on the original Alan Moore Graph Novel (which is what the shite movie shoulda been based on!! ya f*%ks!!), how I'd love to see it made would be in a team, turn based style like Commandos 2, or Silent Storm, now that'd kick.

Also a Last of the Mohicans game I'd like to see, just a simple 3rd person action, especially a recreation of the final scene with the kick ass fiddle tune playing over the top of it.

No 4) KOTOR!!! bring the style back into starwars dammit, SW seriously just annoyed me until I played that game, it showed me the potential of the universe and even enflamed the geek in me, inspiring an SW novel of my own that I work on occasionally... maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that... Anyway, with Kotor I'd get Ang Lee to direct, the way he manages to capture subtlety and emotion within a fantastical setting like with Croutching Tiger and Hulk, I think would really add something, and Jake Gylanhall to act, he can look very "Dark Side" when he wants too.

Or, to see James Cameron tackle Starcraft... though perhaps that'un ed be better left off the Cinema screen... Unless it was Starcraft Ghost, but even so.

No 5) Aside from Carpenter I'd like to see either Ang Lee, or Shyamalan do a game, they might work out too slow or something, but I'd be curious to see what they'd do (not to mention a Shyamalan
NPC in every game he does, and a weird facination with water and the colour red). I guess its good John Woo's getting into making games, cause he sure as hell has lost his ability to make movies! Ill see what his new one will be like.

Submitted by Triton on Fri, 10/03/06 - 9:30 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Burne

I agree. I always loved scorpian and sub-zero and seeing them on the big screen was fantastic. [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 10/03/06 - 10:04 AM Permalink

The SNES starwars games were called "Super Star Wars" "Super The Empire Strieks Back" and "Super Return of the Last Two Games Only Short, Easy and Nowhere Near As Awsome"

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 10/03/06 - 11:33 AM Permalink

1) Has in your opinion been any standout Game to Movie conversions that you have seen?

I haven't really seen anything that has made me go WOW!

2) Has in your opinion been and standout Movie to Game conversions that you have seen?

I really enjoyed The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay on Xbox. Technically the game was a prequel, it wasn't based on any of the movies stories.

3) For the budding designers out there, What would be your favourite Movie that you would want to see as a game, and how would you design it?

As mentioned above, I'd love to see a Firefly action/adventure. Something with a bit of freewill, let you travel around in the 'verse and do what you please while following a basic story. Something with that same vibe as KOTOR, however I would not like to see it as an RPG.

If a linear story is needed, I'd love to play a new crew member aboard Serenity and explore the character interactions aboard the ship. This way you don't miss out on any characters, instead of playing as Mal, or Zoe, Jayne etc...

4) What would be your favourite Game that you would want to see as a Movie, and how would you make it? (What Actors, Director?)

I'd love to see the Thief universe bought to life on the big screen, it had such an interesting mix of medieval, techno, religion, etc...

As mentioned above, David Boreanaz as Max Payne would be great. Obviously he can do the dark/brooding thing really well, and some early episodes of Angel had a film noir-ish thing going on.

5) Due to the influx of film Directors breaking into TV and Games, What film Director would you most like to see do a game? (Saying PJ's too easy, give an example of what he'd do)

Joss Whedon for sure, I just love his work. He really knows how to put a good story together, regardless of medium. I'd love to see some more X-Men stuff from him, his run on Astonishing is really good.

Submitted by Yug on Sun, 12/03/06 - 9:46 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by LiveWire

The SNES starwars games were called "Super Star Wars" "Super The Empire Strieks Back" and "Super Return of the Last Two Games Only Short, Easy and Nowhere Near As Awsome"

That was soooo true :)

You know what ... Super Mario Bros. the movie. There, I said it, I liked it back in the day :P

Also, if it counts, Street Fighter 2: The Movie (the manga one) was awesome.

Thats an interesting question, cause I think there are a few great games based on Movie 'Licences', such as Tomorrow Never Dies, Chronicals of Riddick, KOTOR, Indiana Jones Adventure games on the PC, Alien vs Predator (arcade), and Matt would kill me if I didn't mention Dune 2.. As for games that follow the plot of the movie, I think most of the great ones were the classic side scrolling platformers. The Super Star Wars games on SNES, Terminator on the MegaDrive was one of the first 'good' ones, hell even Alien 3 on the SNES, Alladin (the SNES one, although the Megadrive version wasn't bad).

The only recent one that I think was brilliant was Lego Star Wars. I mean cmon, that game was awesome!

Oh, and I know I know, where's Goldeneye? Well, I never really played it much, so I can't really talk about a game I don't have that much experience with firsthand.

I'd like to mention too that I think a big reason why alot of games based on movies are crap is because the development is rushed to get the game out in time to be released with the movie. That and it's usually a quick and easy cash-in title.

That said, even though I wouldn't reccommend the game, I thought Enter the Matrix was a bold step in the right direction in regards to how seriously games are treated in the movie making process.

Sin City. Design it however the hell you want, just make sure Frank Miller is involved in the process and it'll be fine.

Kill Bill 1 & 2. Suprised it hasn't been done already.

A Tex Murphy movie. Has to be Chris Jones in the title role, with other name actors surrounding him. Get Christopher Nolan to direct it.

Darren Aronofsky or David Fincher

Hey, just out of interest, what about games based on movies of games? Street Fighter the Movie the Game jumps to mind initially ... any others? [:p]

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 13/03/06 - 8:36 AM Permalink

Hmm, it turns out that there is actually a [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467197/"]Max Payne movie[/url] in the works:
It seems that the actor to play Max has not been announced. Suggestions on various net forums include Mel Gibson, Keanu Reeves and Christian Bale.
From [url="http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/629/629253p1.html"]IGN[/url]:
quote:
Producer Scott Faye told the trade that the film will tell the origin story of the character. He says it'll have a Dirty Harry-like tone and that the lead role calls for an actor with some chops. "I think this is a real actor's part because although the story will have action and intrigue, at its core it's a story about a man who loses everything in life that's dear to him," Faye said.

Of course knowing Hollywood I bet they?ll completely screw it up. They?ll probably try to make it look like The Matrix.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Mon, 13/03/06 - 10:51 PM Permalink

Mel Gibson? ............................................... the hell?

ALIEN 3!!!!! AGAIN! one of my favourite all time games and I bloody forgot it! I even listed that one in the best game music forum but it didnt even cross my mind on this one.

quote:Kill Bill 1 & 2. Suprised it hasn't been done already.

I was thinking about Kill Bill actually and wondering how you could make it, but when you think about it aside from the 88 fight, its really only a series of one on ones, not too sure how youd do it and keep it interesting, what'd be better, is to make a separate game though emulate the cross of genres that QT did, cause that was the true strength of Kill Bill I think.... apart from Carradine....

Darren Aronofsky, yeah thats a good suggestion actually, he'd make an interesting game, I'm reeeeaaaaly curious about how he's going to deliver Lone Wolf & Cub. I have faith, but he's treading on very thin eggshells, thats my all time favourite story and I actually couldn't think of a more DIFFERENT type of director to do it. Aronofsky has a real sporadic style whereas Lone Wolf is actually quite the opposite, Koike and Kojima deliberately paced out the mood of the panes in the graphic novel, they'd use 3 or 4 to show water dripping from a plant. Though on the flipside the action scenes would be very hectic and all over the shop, and Aronofsky would match that, the rest (and the majority) of the novel is actually anything but... I'm warning you Aronofsky... don't screw it up!..... (then again it couldnt be worse than the japanese movies)

Submitted by TheBigJ on Mon, 13/03/06 - 11:10 PM Permalink

The Max Payne movie will be terrible. Keanu Reeves? Mel Gibson? [:D]

If they want to make it at least a little bit classy, they'll need the help of [url="http://imdb.com/name/nm0654110/"]this guy[/url].

Forum

Just inspired from Chrissum's 'Can you stay alive' thread, I got into thinking about Game/Movie conversions and although I'm sure this has been asked many a time before on this forum, I'm gonna ask again anyway :)

I've only just come up with this off the top of my head so I'll think about my own answers and post later. But for Q)5, I'd have to say I'd love to see John Carpenter put in charge of a game and given access to the "Spore" kinda tech. I'd say it'd be an FPS (he's innovative in other forms) and I'm picturing you'd end up like growing and evolving your own weapon, then as you take off some guy's leg with it, he'd hobble around on the remaining three limbs for a bit before some bio extrusion/tentacle type thing would extend from the wound and he'd start swinging around with it in the rafters or something... fantastic

I was thinking of including comics in this but there've been faar too many of them I think so we'll stick to games.

Submitted by skunx on Thu, 09/03/06 - 10:48 AM Permalink

OK I have to reply to this [:p]

1)Off the top of my head I can't remember any good game to movie conversion, they are all pretty much mediocre at best (Silent Hill movie might change that but I still doubt it somehow). I mean cmon, Tomb raider, Resident evils, Blood rayne, Doom etc are pretty bad any way you look at them.

2)Yes there has! John Carpenters the Thing was converted a couple of years ago and its a fucking gem of a game, highly underrated and did bad in sales but if you like the movies check it out its awesome and it pretty much makes the sequel the director never got to make on film (he was involved in the making of the game btw, if just slightly i'd imagine).
I'm sure there are other good ones but cant think of them.

3)A a psychological mystery/adventure game based loosely on a David Lynch movie!! I mean cmon imagine a game set in Twin Peaks universe, pure gold [:D] (clue: the midget who plays in Carnivale plays a similar role in Twin peaks)
Or a movie based on a Cronenberg film!

4)Err can't really think of any that would make a really really good film. Maybe Tim Burton doing a Grim Fandango would be cool. Yeah actually that would be really cool!

5)I wish Uwe Boll makes as many kickass movies of great or semi-great games coming out as he can [:p] ! (somehow i think my wish will come true).

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:24 AM Permalink

quote:
standout Game to Movie conversions

Not ?standout?, but I did enjoy the Resident evil movies. But then I like every zombie flick. So the answer is no.

quote:
Movie to Game conversions

Nothing great comes to mind. There?s been a few that where a quick bit of fun, but nothing extraordinary. Some of the Lord of the Rings games where okay, I enjoyed Spiderman 2, and Enter the Matrix was interesting.

quote:
favourite Movie that you would want to see as a game

StarGate SG1 goddamn it!! But as for a movie, um, maybe Serenity?

quote:
What would be your favourite Game that you would want to see as a Movie

Max Payne staring David Boreanaz:

[img]http://www.d-boreanaz.com/gallery/albums/albums/angel/misc-season1/ange…]

Of course he?s much older now and would better look the part. It would need to be directed by someone who could adequately pull-off the film noir thing, and it would definitely need to be very dark and violent. I would seriously love to see this movie.

quote:
What film Director would you most like to see do a game

Joss Whedon, complete with sense of humour.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:28 AM Permalink

yeah god bless Uwe Boll hey.......... cause I'm sure as hell no one else will

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:49 AM Permalink

1) no

2) Goldeneye, though that hardly resembled the movie or held a flowing storyline. It excelled on great gameplay, and the only reason I list it here is because it was based on a movie licence.

3) The TV series FireFly, and it would be a stand alone story. Why? because FireFly had such a rich universe that I want to explore it deeper (and being candled no longer can) - thus it would not be a straight conversion of the movie, nor would it follow the storyline of any episode from the series. And besides, I?ve already watched those stories!

4) Deus Ex, only it would be a 20 episode TV series, not a 2 hour movie. It would focus on developing characters, a deep storyline, and well written dialogue - and action and special effects would be secondary and used sparingly and only as necessary - and it would avoid as many matrix/action movie clich?s and stereotypes as possible.

5) Stanley Kubrick, because it would be a deep and engaging piece of interactive art, and would defy genres and conventional game thinking. Unfortunately he's no longer around so:

Joss Whedon because he's a great writer/director and his work is original and engaging, and lends itself well to conventional gameplay, as well having the potential to further the medium in story and character development.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 09/03/06 - 8:37 PM Permalink

quote:
FireFly had such a rich universe that I want to explore it deeper (and being cancled no longer can)

A game based on Firefly/Serenity would be awesome. Also, apparently there is talk of a sequal to Serenity.

I like the idea of a Deus Ex TV series.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:29 PM Permalink

I completely forgot about Goldeneye actually, shame on me, that was one the greatest games ever bloody made.... maybe thats why I no longer accosiated it with a movie licence.

Submitted by Mdobele on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:49 PM Permalink

1) Game to Movie
Whilst not really in the sense of the word my pick is "The Wizard" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098663/
Classic NES and Mario Bros 3! Nintendo Powergloves... cmon its got it all!

2) Movie To Game
Have to agree with GoldenEye on N64.

3) Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy ( Series ). Done in classeic point and click adventure style.

4) Snake Rattle n Roll from NES.
http://www.flyingomelette.com/reviews/nes/snakernr.html
Live action film of two snake heads in an isometric world. Eat evil Nibbly pibblies to grow a tail then jump on a large scale to open the mystical door to the next universe. Its got it all.. Love, Intrique, Nazi's searching for holy relics.

5) Peter Jackson
Purely so he can make a game that might actually take longer then an hour to complete :p

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/03/06 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Damn, those are some good questions. I'll have to have a think about them [:)]

Submitted by Burne on Fri, 10/03/06 - 7:56 AM Permalink

2) Nothing that stands out but I enjoyed battle for middle earth

3) Jurastic Park would make a good sim game.

4) Warcraft the movie. I suppose Peter Jackson would have to direct it.

5) Guy Ritchie.
He could make an amazing gangsta game with an indepth story full of twists interesting characters and a bit of humor.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 10/03/06 - 8:47 AM Permalink

quote: Damn, those are some good questions. I'll have to have a think about them

Well you can just call me Tony Barber

Ok,

No 1) cannot think of a single thing... though Uwe Boll films do inspire me, its the whole "If this reed can do it then why can't I" kinda thing. Sort of the way in Braveheart Wallace was 'inspired' by his chicky's death to wipe out England.

No 2)Of course as mentioned, Goldeneye (thankyou Limewire) though I actually prefer when a licence deviates from the movie like what Goldeneye did, its like it reinvents it for you as opposed to rehashing. I mean whats the point of recreting a game EXACTLY like the movie, thats just boring, its far more a compliment to the setting I think if you put your own spin on it. Skunx was telling me today that the Thing game actually took place after the movie like a sequal, thats great I think cause it doesnt hamper down the creativity.

The old Star Wars games on the SNES (Mick what are they called again?) there was a version of all three movies and they were just a side scroller where you ran along and hack the shite outta stuff, it was great.

And apparently the Cronicles of Riddick was a wicked one, though the movie did aaaabsolutely nothing for me,(it seemed like just scene after scene of Desiel wearing thoes goggles just so he could pull them off in some stupid way) I admit the game does sound pretty damn cool.

No 3)Ive got a design concept for an aliens game to act as like a 5th story which I think would rock, other than that, I'd like to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen made into a game, though based on the original Alan Moore Graph Novel (which is what the shite movie shoulda been based on!! ya f*%ks!!), how I'd love to see it made would be in a team, turn based style like Commandos 2, or Silent Storm, now that'd kick.

Also a Last of the Mohicans game I'd like to see, just a simple 3rd person action, especially a recreation of the final scene with the kick ass fiddle tune playing over the top of it.

No 4) KOTOR!!! bring the style back into starwars dammit, SW seriously just annoyed me until I played that game, it showed me the potential of the universe and even enflamed the geek in me, inspiring an SW novel of my own that I work on occasionally... maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that... Anyway, with Kotor I'd get Ang Lee to direct, the way he manages to capture subtlety and emotion within a fantastical setting like with Croutching Tiger and Hulk, I think would really add something, and Jake Gylanhall to act, he can look very "Dark Side" when he wants too.

Or, to see James Cameron tackle Starcraft... though perhaps that'un ed be better left off the Cinema screen... Unless it was Starcraft Ghost, but even so.

No 5) Aside from Carpenter I'd like to see either Ang Lee, or Shyamalan do a game, they might work out too slow or something, but I'd be curious to see what they'd do (not to mention a Shyamalan
NPC in every game he does, and a weird facination with water and the colour red). I guess its good John Woo's getting into making games, cause he sure as hell has lost his ability to make movies! Ill see what his new one will be like.

Submitted by Triton on Fri, 10/03/06 - 9:30 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Burne

I agree. I always loved scorpian and sub-zero and seeing them on the big screen was fantastic. [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 10/03/06 - 10:04 AM Permalink

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 10/03/06 - 11:33 AM Permalink

I haven't really seen anything that has made me go WOW!

I really enjoyed The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay on Xbox. Technically the game was a prequel, it wasn't based on any of the movies stories.

As mentioned above, I'd love to see a Firefly action/adventure. Something with a bit of freewill, let you travel around in the 'verse and do what you please while following a basic story. Something with that same vibe as KOTOR, however I would not like to see it as an RPG.

If a linear story is needed, I'd love to play a new crew member aboard Serenity and explore the character interactions aboard the ship. This way you don't miss out on any characters, instead of playing as Mal, or Zoe, Jayne etc...

I'd love to see the Thief universe bought to life on the big screen, it had such an interesting mix of medieval, techno, religion, etc...

As mentioned above, David Boreanaz as Max Payne would be great. Obviously he can do the dark/brooding thing really well, and some early episodes of Angel had a film noir-ish thing going on.

Joss Whedon for sure, I just love his work. He really knows how to put a good story together, regardless of medium. I'd love to see some more X-Men stuff from him, his run on Astonishing is really good.

Submitted by Yug on Sun, 12/03/06 - 9:46 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by LiveWire

That was soooo true :)

You know what ... Super Mario Bros. the movie. There, I said it, I liked it back in the day :P

Also, if it counts, Street Fighter 2: The Movie (the manga one) was awesome.

Thats an interesting question, cause I think there are a few great games based on Movie 'Licences', such as Tomorrow Never Dies, Chronicals of Riddick, KOTOR, Indiana Jones Adventure games on the PC, Alien vs Predator (arcade), and Matt would kill me if I didn't mention Dune 2.. As for games that follow the plot of the movie, I think most of the great ones were the classic side scrolling platformers. The Super Star Wars games on SNES, Terminator on the MegaDrive was one of the first 'good' ones, hell even Alien 3 on the SNES, Alladin (the SNES one, although the Megadrive version wasn't bad).

The only recent one that I think was brilliant was Lego Star Wars. I mean cmon, that game was awesome!

Oh, and I know I know, where's Goldeneye? Well, I never really played it much, so I can't really talk about a game I don't have that much experience with firsthand.

I'd like to mention too that I think a big reason why alot of games based on movies are crap is because the development is rushed to get the game out in time to be released with the movie. That and it's usually a quick and easy cash-in title.

That said, even though I wouldn't reccommend the game, I thought Enter the Matrix was a bold step in the right direction in regards to how seriously games are treated in the movie making process.

Sin City. Design it however the hell you want, just make sure Frank Miller is involved in the process and it'll be fine.

Kill Bill 1 & 2. Suprised it hasn't been done already.

A Tex Murphy movie. Has to be Chris Jones in the title role, with other name actors surrounding him. Get Christopher Nolan to direct it.

Darren Aronofsky or David Fincher

Hey, just out of interest, what about games based on movies of games? Street Fighter the Movie the Game jumps to mind initially ... any others? [:p]

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 13/03/06 - 8:36 AM Permalink

Hmm, it turns out that there is actually a [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467197/"]Max Payne movie[/url] in the works:
It seems that the actor to play Max has not been announced. Suggestions on various net forums include Mel Gibson, Keanu Reeves and Christian Bale.
From [url="http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/629/629253p1.html"]IGN[/url]:
quote:
Producer Scott Faye told the trade that the film will tell the origin story of the character. He says it'll have a Dirty Harry-like tone and that the lead role calls for an actor with some chops. "I think this is a real actor's part because although the story will have action and intrigue, at its core it's a story about a man who loses everything in life that's dear to him," Faye said.

Of course knowing Hollywood I bet they?ll completely screw it up. They?ll probably try to make it look like The Matrix.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Mon, 13/03/06 - 10:51 PM Permalink

Mel Gibson? ............................................... the hell?

ALIEN 3!!!!! AGAIN! one of my favourite all time games and I bloody forgot it! I even listed that one in the best game music forum but it didnt even cross my mind on this one.

quote:Kill Bill 1 & 2. Suprised it hasn't been done already.

I was thinking about Kill Bill actually and wondering how you could make it, but when you think about it aside from the 88 fight, its really only a series of one on ones, not too sure how youd do it and keep it interesting, what'd be better, is to make a separate game though emulate the cross of genres that QT did, cause that was the true strength of Kill Bill I think.... apart from Carradine....

Darren Aronofsky, yeah thats a good suggestion actually, he'd make an interesting game, I'm reeeeaaaaly curious about how he's going to deliver Lone Wolf & Cub. I have faith, but he's treading on very thin eggshells, thats my all time favourite story and I actually couldn't think of a more DIFFERENT type of director to do it. Aronofsky has a real sporadic style whereas Lone Wolf is actually quite the opposite, Koike and Kojima deliberately paced out the mood of the panes in the graphic novel, they'd use 3 or 4 to show water dripping from a plant. Though on the flipside the action scenes would be very hectic and all over the shop, and Aronofsky would match that, the rest (and the majority) of the novel is actually anything but... I'm warning you Aronofsky... don't screw it up!..... (then again it couldnt be worse than the japanese movies)

Submitted by TheBigJ on Mon, 13/03/06 - 11:10 PM Permalink

The Max Payne movie will be terrible. Keanu Reeves? Mel Gibson? [:D]

If they want to make it at least a little bit classy, they'll need the help of [url="http://imdb.com/name/nm0654110/"]this guy[/url].