Skip to main content

Wii!

Submitted by redwyre on
Forum

I can't belive that noone has said anything yet, who got one? I know I did!

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 08/12/06 - 6:09 PM Permalink

Not right yet. Not enough funds. Though I did get to play one locally, however the experience wasn't as fun as it could've been, as the calibration seemed waaay off, and the demo title was Cars. Not exactly a title to show off what the Wii can do.

Soon enough, my friends. Soon enough...

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 09/12/06 - 8:09 AM Permalink

Wii did :) Only finally picked it up on Friday. Some of the sports games look good. Bowling kicks ass. Otherwise, I can't say there are any launch titles that got me going. Joel got Zelda, and seems to be enjoying it.

Submitted by Soul on Sat, 09/12/06 - 8:16 AM Permalink

Haven't posted anything because I've been too busy playing!!

It's awesome - most fun I've had playing games in years. The remote takes a little while to get used to, but works brilliantly and feels very natural. You can sure work up a bit of a sweat though :)

Have been playing Rayman & Wii Sports mostly - both are heaps of fun. Wii Play is OK, but you need two people to make the most of it.

Anyways, off to try and finish Rayman!

Submitted by Tempest on Sat, 09/12/06 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Picked mine up on the night of the 7th - which is pretty damn lucky, considering I hadn't preordered. :)

I must say, I couldn't be happier. Best console I've ever purchased. I introduced it to my family, and they've been playing the thing more than I have. The wii-sports are great for a group - especially with a couple of drinks in you.

Had a go of Zelda last night, too, and can vouch that the praising reviews out there aren't wrong. The game, visually, looks great, and the control mechanism by the wii-mote is smooth and - surprisingly - really natural. And swinging your wii-mote around to do different attacks against monsters is just awesome. ;)

I'm looking forward to trying out some more games. Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 are both on my list - I can't wait to see how the wii-mote performs in an FPS environment.

And, for nostalgia's sake, Columns. ;)

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 09/12/06 - 11:36 AM Permalink

Wii got one at Blue Tounge [hahaha the puns will never end!!]

Wii sports is great for Multiplayer. Zelda is as good as you can expect a Zelda game to be and I advicing NOT getting Red steel.. it's a unpolised turd of a game. But if you wanna see for yourself buy it at EB as they have a 7 day return policy.

Submitted by Tempest on Sat, 09/12/06 - 12:15 PM Permalink

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Red Steel. Apparently it takes a while to see the real 'beauty' of the game, due to the steep learning curve and basically 'uncovering and coming to terms with the game's flaws'. The first review of it steered me right off, then the second review rekindled my interest.

Might have to hire it, though, just in case I'm not as forgiving. :)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 09/12/06 - 2:08 PM Permalink

I haven't touched a Wii yet . Although some of the stuff they're doing with the Wii controller on PC's is interesting!

Submitted by Brain on Sun, 10/12/06 - 5:51 AM Permalink

I'm surprised at how fast the world is progressing with the Wiimote on PC. Give it another month and it'll be fully operational. Give it another month and people'll be using it to control iPods, flush toilets and gang warfare. Perhaps even actually playing on the Wii.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Mon, 11/12/06 - 3:58 AM Permalink

can't buy wii, save for holiday, can't buy wii, save for holiday, can't but wii, save for holiday, wii buy holiday, save for wii, buy wii holiday, save for wii, sa... wha.. ge.. DAMN IT!Jackydablunt2006-12-10 16:58:46

Submitted by souri on Mon, 11/12/06 - 11:55 AM Permalink

Hey, I'm curious about bowling in Wii sports. Does it make a huge difference if you're bowling normally/casually as to serving it fast like a madman? I'm guessing that you do get better results if you bowl it as fast as you can, right?

Submitted by Tempest on Mon, 11/12/06 - 1:59 PM Permalink

Power does make a difference. I can admit I've gotten a majority of my strikes by literally tossin' the ball down there. ;)

But, again, for precision and such, a 'slight' gesture works well. Too soft, and you're bound to drift and curve quite a lot. Too hard, and the curve may only be slight. But to answer your question - yep! Like all the Wii sports, there's certainly an 'art' to it. :)

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 18/12/06 - 4:59 PM Permalink

I'm in the same situation as Tempest - my family has played 10x more than I have :( Though I'm affraid Zelda will eat up many an hour in front of the TV...

With bowling, it's harder to spin a slow ball (and it loses it's spin quickly) so it's the most accurate way to get the ball where you want it. Though some may consider it cheating... :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 21/12/06 - 4:52 PM Permalink

I am seriously considering getting a Wii either tomorrow or Saturday. Someone please talk me out of it. Tell me there's none left or something.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 21/12/06 - 4:54 PM Permalink

Theres none left, and besides that you need a new graphics card cause your ati is old.

Submitted by Tempest on Thu, 21/12/06 - 8:36 PM Permalink

We're famous!

Seriously, though. If you get a Wii, you won't be disappointed in the buy. I'm having a lot of fun with it, myself. But more on that to come.. :)

Submitted by nexx on Fri, 22/12/06 - 7:59 AM Permalink

New Wii stock hit stores today. Most will probably be going to pre-orders (like mine!). Best of luck finding one.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/12/06 - 9:19 AM Permalink

Wii purchase mission: *failed*

Spent 5 hours today trying to find a Wii.. Liverpool, Fairfield, right to Parramatta. Tried every department store, eb games, Toys 'R Us etc.... No success

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/12/06 - 12:44 PM Permalink

Wii purchase mission part 2: *failed*

I called up Gameswizard, and one of the stores said they had a few left. So I said I will be in there within half an hour (it was pretty close to where I live) to pick one up. When I got there, the same guy who answered the phone got some guy to check the back, and there were none left. "Sorry!".
I asked another guy there if I could get the phone numbers of other stores so I can ring to see if they have any Wii's. He looked up his computer and saw that none had any. So, this store I went to happened to have 4 Wii's when I called up (and remember, none of the other stores had any), and they sold all of them within half an hour since I called... uh huh.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/12/06 - 1:02 PM Permalink

Wii purchase mission part 3:

On the way home from Gameswizard, I was feeling a bit hungry so I thought I'd go to Liverpool Westfields again. Just for laughs, I thought I'd go to Big W again to see if they happened to have any new stock since the morning.

And holy crap, they did. There were two left, and I nabbed one. They didn't even have any peripherals left, so I had to go get an extra wii-mote and nunchuka somewhere else. Anyway, I finally got one. The end. Souri2006-12-22 02:03:43

Submitted by Tempest on Fri, 22/12/06 - 1:47 PM Permalink

Congratulations, Souri. Feel the warm loving embrace that is the Wii!

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 22/12/06 - 6:06 PM Permalink

Congrats Souri! Am posting this from my Wii. Yay! Takes a bit to get used to but nice to lounge and surf. More of this later. Sleep now. Wii on peoples!Brain2006-12-22 07:10:44

Submitted by souri on Sat, 23/12/06 - 11:42 AM Permalink

I got home yesterday and played Wii sports and Wii Play.. and then when I went to open Rayman, I noticed the cover wasn't sealed... and then the horror of it being empty. And then slapping my forehead when I realized that when I bought the wii-mote, nunchuka, and Rayman from Toys 'R Us, I only picked up the peripherals from the counter, and not the game.

Anyway, I returned to Toys 'R Us and they replaced the display cover with a proper copy of the game.

So I've been playing with my Wii, and I just kept thinking   how awesome homebrew games and whatnot would be on this with the new controller. And then I read that there are websites out there such as www.wiicade.com which you can open up in your browser on your Wii console and play.

So Wii homebrew could simply mean making something with Flash. And Flash has become pretty sophisticated over the years (MMORPG's), so the tools are out there and possibilities for making great stuff for other Wii players are great. On the plus side, you don't need a development kit, there's no need physically distribute your game. Just host it up on a website (or a site like Wiicade or others that will take up the task of hosting flash games for Wii), and you're done! The minus side - games that are limited to pointing to the screen (and not off screen).

In fact, having a browser for the Wii will be very darn useful. I'm still waiting on some wireless hardware to be sent in and my new internet connection happening, but I'm sure I'll be using the Wii to watch youTube and Google video instead of my PC.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the possibilities of the Wii realized, and I hope to see big online games released. I love single player games, but I see more value in purchasing an online game. If there was something that had a simple / hard to master mechnic like Gunbound, and it also had Gunbounds scoring / avatar purchasing / rewards, I'll definitely be in on that! Souri2006-12-23 01:40:26

Submitted by souri on Sun, 04/02/07 - 6:18 AM Permalink

If anyone is interested, EA are making The Sims for the Wii, and it actually looks pretty cool! Check out the screenshots here.

I remember watching some 1up show where some guy working in Japan was commenting on some of the art styles in Western games which the Japanese wouldn't find appealing whatsoever, and I was surprised to hear that even the art from The Sims wasn't something they'd like. If you check out the pics for The Sims on the Wii, they've gone a totally cutesy route with the art style, and I'm sure Japanese gamers will dig it, since the game was developed by EA Japan.

I've been reading some other forums here and there, and it's quite interesting to read that people are still having huge difficulties in securing a Wii console.

Posted by redwyre on
Forum

I can't belive that noone has said anything yet, who got one? I know I did!

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 08/12/06 - 6:09 PM Permalink

Not right yet. Not enough funds. Though I did get to play one locally, however the experience wasn't as fun as it could've been, as the calibration seemed waaay off, and the demo title was Cars. Not exactly a title to show off what the Wii can do.

Soon enough, my friends. Soon enough...

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 09/12/06 - 8:09 AM Permalink

Wii did :) Only finally picked it up on Friday. Some of the sports games look good. Bowling kicks ass. Otherwise, I can't say there are any launch titles that got me going. Joel got Zelda, and seems to be enjoying it.

Submitted by Soul on Sat, 09/12/06 - 8:16 AM Permalink

Haven't posted anything because I've been too busy playing!!

It's awesome - most fun I've had playing games in years. The remote takes a little while to get used to, but works brilliantly and feels very natural. You can sure work up a bit of a sweat though :)

Have been playing Rayman & Wii Sports mostly - both are heaps of fun. Wii Play is OK, but you need two people to make the most of it.

Anyways, off to try and finish Rayman!

Submitted by Tempest on Sat, 09/12/06 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Picked mine up on the night of the 7th - which is pretty damn lucky, considering I hadn't preordered. :)

I must say, I couldn't be happier. Best console I've ever purchased. I introduced it to my family, and they've been playing the thing more than I have. The wii-sports are great for a group - especially with a couple of drinks in you.

Had a go of Zelda last night, too, and can vouch that the praising reviews out there aren't wrong. The game, visually, looks great, and the control mechanism by the wii-mote is smooth and - surprisingly - really natural. And swinging your wii-mote around to do different attacks against monsters is just awesome. ;)

I'm looking forward to trying out some more games. Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 are both on my list - I can't wait to see how the wii-mote performs in an FPS environment.

And, for nostalgia's sake, Columns. ;)

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 09/12/06 - 11:36 AM Permalink

Wii got one at Blue Tounge [hahaha the puns will never end!!]

Wii sports is great for Multiplayer. Zelda is as good as you can expect a Zelda game to be and I advicing NOT getting Red steel.. it's a unpolised turd of a game. But if you wanna see for yourself buy it at EB as they have a 7 day return policy.

Submitted by Tempest on Sat, 09/12/06 - 12:15 PM Permalink

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Red Steel. Apparently it takes a while to see the real 'beauty' of the game, due to the steep learning curve and basically 'uncovering and coming to terms with the game's flaws'. The first review of it steered me right off, then the second review rekindled my interest.

Might have to hire it, though, just in case I'm not as forgiving. :)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 09/12/06 - 2:08 PM Permalink

I haven't touched a Wii yet . Although some of the stuff they're doing with the Wii controller on PC's is interesting!

Submitted by Brain on Sun, 10/12/06 - 5:51 AM Permalink

I'm surprised at how fast the world is progressing with the Wiimote on PC. Give it another month and it'll be fully operational. Give it another month and people'll be using it to control iPods, flush toilets and gang warfare. Perhaps even actually playing on the Wii.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Mon, 11/12/06 - 3:58 AM Permalink

can't buy wii, save for holiday, can't buy wii, save for holiday, can't but wii, save for holiday, wii buy holiday, save for wii, buy wii holiday, save for wii, sa... wha.. ge.. DAMN IT!Jackydablunt2006-12-10 16:58:46

Submitted by souri on Mon, 11/12/06 - 11:55 AM Permalink

Hey, I'm curious about bowling in Wii sports. Does it make a huge difference if you're bowling normally/casually as to serving it fast like a madman? I'm guessing that you do get better results if you bowl it as fast as you can, right?

Submitted by Tempest on Mon, 11/12/06 - 1:59 PM Permalink

Power does make a difference. I can admit I've gotten a majority of my strikes by literally tossin' the ball down there. ;)

But, again, for precision and such, a 'slight' gesture works well. Too soft, and you're bound to drift and curve quite a lot. Too hard, and the curve may only be slight. But to answer your question - yep! Like all the Wii sports, there's certainly an 'art' to it. :)

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 18/12/06 - 4:59 PM Permalink

I'm in the same situation as Tempest - my family has played 10x more than I have :( Though I'm affraid Zelda will eat up many an hour in front of the TV...

With bowling, it's harder to spin a slow ball (and it loses it's spin quickly) so it's the most accurate way to get the ball where you want it. Though some may consider it cheating... :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 21/12/06 - 4:52 PM Permalink

I am seriously considering getting a Wii either tomorrow or Saturday. Someone please talk me out of it. Tell me there's none left or something.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 21/12/06 - 4:54 PM Permalink

Theres none left, and besides that you need a new graphics card cause your ati is old.

Submitted by Tempest on Thu, 21/12/06 - 8:36 PM Permalink

We're famous!

Seriously, though. If you get a Wii, you won't be disappointed in the buy. I'm having a lot of fun with it, myself. But more on that to come.. :)

Submitted by nexx on Fri, 22/12/06 - 7:59 AM Permalink

New Wii stock hit stores today. Most will probably be going to pre-orders (like mine!). Best of luck finding one.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/12/06 - 9:19 AM Permalink

Wii purchase mission: *failed*

Spent 5 hours today trying to find a Wii.. Liverpool, Fairfield, right to Parramatta. Tried every department store, eb games, Toys 'R Us etc.... No success

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/12/06 - 12:44 PM Permalink

Wii purchase mission part 2: *failed*

I called up Gameswizard, and one of the stores said they had a few left. So I said I will be in there within half an hour (it was pretty close to where I live) to pick one up. When I got there, the same guy who answered the phone got some guy to check the back, and there were none left. "Sorry!".
I asked another guy there if I could get the phone numbers of other stores so I can ring to see if they have any Wii's. He looked up his computer and saw that none had any. So, this store I went to happened to have 4 Wii's when I called up (and remember, none of the other stores had any), and they sold all of them within half an hour since I called... uh huh.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/12/06 - 1:02 PM Permalink

Wii purchase mission part 3:

On the way home from Gameswizard, I was feeling a bit hungry so I thought I'd go to Liverpool Westfields again. Just for laughs, I thought I'd go to Big W again to see if they happened to have any new stock since the morning.

And holy crap, they did. There were two left, and I nabbed one. They didn't even have any peripherals left, so I had to go get an extra wii-mote and nunchuka somewhere else. Anyway, I finally got one. The end. Souri2006-12-22 02:03:43

Submitted by Tempest on Fri, 22/12/06 - 1:47 PM Permalink

Congratulations, Souri. Feel the warm loving embrace that is the Wii!

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 22/12/06 - 6:06 PM Permalink

Congrats Souri! Am posting this from my Wii. Yay! Takes a bit to get used to but nice to lounge and surf. More of this later. Sleep now. Wii on peoples!Brain2006-12-22 07:10:44

Submitted by souri on Sat, 23/12/06 - 11:42 AM Permalink

I got home yesterday and played Wii sports and Wii Play.. and then when I went to open Rayman, I noticed the cover wasn't sealed... and then the horror of it being empty. And then slapping my forehead when I realized that when I bought the wii-mote, nunchuka, and Rayman from Toys 'R Us, I only picked up the peripherals from the counter, and not the game.

Anyway, I returned to Toys 'R Us and they replaced the display cover with a proper copy of the game.

So I've been playing with my Wii, and I just kept thinking   how awesome homebrew games and whatnot would be on this with the new controller. And then I read that there are websites out there such as www.wiicade.com which you can open up in your browser on your Wii console and play.

So Wii homebrew could simply mean making something with Flash. And Flash has become pretty sophisticated over the years (MMORPG's), so the tools are out there and possibilities for making great stuff for other Wii players are great. On the plus side, you don't need a development kit, there's no need physically distribute your game. Just host it up on a website (or a site like Wiicade or others that will take up the task of hosting flash games for Wii), and you're done! The minus side - games that are limited to pointing to the screen (and not off screen).

In fact, having a browser for the Wii will be very darn useful. I'm still waiting on some wireless hardware to be sent in and my new internet connection happening, but I'm sure I'll be using the Wii to watch youTube and Google video instead of my PC.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the possibilities of the Wii realized, and I hope to see big online games released. I love single player games, but I see more value in purchasing an online game. If there was something that had a simple / hard to master mechnic like Gunbound, and it also had Gunbounds scoring / avatar purchasing / rewards, I'll definitely be in on that! Souri2006-12-23 01:40:26

Submitted by souri on Sun, 04/02/07 - 6:18 AM Permalink

If anyone is interested, EA are making The Sims for the Wii, and it actually looks pretty cool! Check out the screenshots here.

I remember watching some 1up show where some guy working in Japan was commenting on some of the art styles in Western games which the Japanese wouldn't find appealing whatsoever, and I was surprised to hear that even the art from The Sims wasn't something they'd like. If you check out the pics for The Sims on the Wii, they've gone a totally cutesy route with the art style, and I'm sure Japanese gamers will dig it, since the game was developed by EA Japan.

I've been reading some other forums here and there, and it's quite interesting to read that people are still having huge difficulties in securing a Wii console.