Skip to main content

a work in progress

Submitted by MoonUnit on

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4131977/

(i dont have anywhere to host pictures that i can directly link to, sorry)

well what i have to say is basicly on that page, but for the heck of it, heres it copied:

heres something im currently working on, it looks pretty bad at the moment i know but thats because its not finished yet

the center line is all dodgy because ofcourse im making one half then mirroring it, and fixing up the center, i only doubled it over for this shot because it kinda makes it easier to visualise the final project.

its going to be a basic human male build character, im thinking of doing a bit of a thug type of character with boots and lots of tatoos and the like, the only reason being is that he'll be shirtless and i want to work on that a bit (a bit odd looking atm isnt it).

also this is my first attempt at a human body, ive stuffed around but this is really the first time ive actually set out to finish a complete body. Its not trying to be realistic, its supposed have a slight disproportionate cartoony feel about it. like if youve seen rockstars game state of emergency (inspiration), like the characters from that

comments, constructive crit, ideas, tut links or whatever is welcome :D

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 08/12/03 - 12:39 PM Permalink

u can upload pics on sumea launchpad so u can show them in the forum...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 08/12/03 - 9:41 PM Permalink

yeah i know but im really just starting out and im in year 10. Im not really anywhere near looking for a job in "in the biz" as it were and it seems thats kind of the purpose of the gallerys on the main site. I dont want to use it like a deviantart type of thing when thats not its purpose

but any comments?

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 09/12/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

Well Im not much of a 3d artist, so I cant really give any advice in that area.
The model looks really disproportionate, granted you are going for cartoony, but it looks strange. And I dont know what that small thing in front of his stomach is either, sorry.
Keep working at it :)

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:31 AM Permalink

You are doing well for a year 10 self taught artist. It isn't easy stuff to do, and you are giving yourself a great advantage for later on.

Crits on the model. It is a work in progress so I wont say too much. As Makk said, he is really disproportinate. How muscley are you trying to make him (slightly or overly)? Try to find some really good reference photos of bodybuilders for help. The first time I made a really muscley guy, I bought a fitness mag that I still have. I felt like a tool buying it, but am really glad that I did.

The biggest problem that is there, is that you appear to be trying to model too much too quickly. Get the basic shade and volume first. He looks too flat. Get rid of the abs at the front and just block in shape. You can then later go in and add in the abs in a more natural way.

I find that looking at others wires was the most benificial way of learning. That way you can see how various parts of the body should join. Have a look at this site, http://www.metagons.com/wiredepot01.htm Just keep in mind that these models have been made to be smoothed. Also have a look at other Sumean's work both in the Exihibition area and the Challenge area. There are some fantastic models there for wire reference.

On the positive side, it is a lot better that what I was making for my first characters :) Just keep on practicing.

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:57 AM Permalink

Looks kinda like Ben Mathis's tute, the armoured guy with huge forearms. It's a good tutorial, but I'd suggest doing plain old nudes first, or even going lower in count say 1500 poly. I agree with Aven, it depends on your workflow, but I think it's better to rough out the whole character first before going in and detailed specific muscles etc.

Keep it up, I wish I started 3d in yr 10 :D

Hey most ISPs give you about 5 or 10 meg for a web page, if you use one find out if you can ftp your files up!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/12/03 - 12:36 AM Permalink

that tut by Ben Mathis is one of the sources im using to teach my how to make this, thanks for the help guys, ill be working on it again soon (damn rest of life interfeering :P )

im not attempting to break any barriers with this peice. Its really just a project so i have something to apply what ive learnt to, and a reason to look up more things. Im just picking up bits and peices from tutorials and putting them together to make a my first complete project. Yup my first, so its not going to be spectacular :P

thanks again for feedback

Submitted by Jeremiah on Wed, 10/12/03 - 11:51 AM Permalink

Im really impressed that a grade 10 student is so into what your doing, and what you post in the forums is more mature then most grade 10 students could ever manage. Im glad you have found what you really like doing, when i was in grade 10 I didnt have any clue at what I wanted to be, and although I was drawing at that time, i had no idea about 3d animation, where to begin etc..

3 words of advice; Practice, Patience, and Persistence, in 3 years time if you work really hard, you will be rocking peoples socks off with your art, Its all about those 3 little words, stick to them. Also dont neglect your schoolng it will get you into further education after highschool. (Hope I dont sound to much like a parent lol).

Great effort MoonUnit, keep up the effort. I wish I had started that young. Im only just starting 3d myself so hope to get something out after I teach myself some more 3d.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/12/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

dw im not letting it run over school, i had to stop for a bit (after making a basic character in the style of bender from futurama entirely out of basic geometric shapes :P) for exams, now its the holidays so im back into it.

thanks for your feedback, i am practicing all that i can, its extremely hard when you dont have someone to ask questions to, ocaisionaly i bug anthony (ironikart) but otherwise i suppose i only got you guys.

Posted by MoonUnit on

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4131977/

(i dont have anywhere to host pictures that i can directly link to, sorry)

well what i have to say is basicly on that page, but for the heck of it, heres it copied:

heres something im currently working on, it looks pretty bad at the moment i know but thats because its not finished yet

the center line is all dodgy because ofcourse im making one half then mirroring it, and fixing up the center, i only doubled it over for this shot because it kinda makes it easier to visualise the final project.

its going to be a basic human male build character, im thinking of doing a bit of a thug type of character with boots and lots of tatoos and the like, the only reason being is that he'll be shirtless and i want to work on that a bit (a bit odd looking atm isnt it).

also this is my first attempt at a human body, ive stuffed around but this is really the first time ive actually set out to finish a complete body. Its not trying to be realistic, its supposed have a slight disproportionate cartoony feel about it. like if youve seen rockstars game state of emergency (inspiration), like the characters from that

comments, constructive crit, ideas, tut links or whatever is welcome :D

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 08/12/03 - 12:39 PM Permalink

u can upload pics on sumea launchpad so u can show them in the forum...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 08/12/03 - 9:41 PM Permalink

yeah i know but im really just starting out and im in year 10. Im not really anywhere near looking for a job in "in the biz" as it were and it seems thats kind of the purpose of the gallerys on the main site. I dont want to use it like a deviantart type of thing when thats not its purpose

but any comments?

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 09/12/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

Well Im not much of a 3d artist, so I cant really give any advice in that area.
The model looks really disproportionate, granted you are going for cartoony, but it looks strange. And I dont know what that small thing in front of his stomach is either, sorry.
Keep working at it :)

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:31 AM Permalink

You are doing well for a year 10 self taught artist. It isn't easy stuff to do, and you are giving yourself a great advantage for later on.

Crits on the model. It is a work in progress so I wont say too much. As Makk said, he is really disproportinate. How muscley are you trying to make him (slightly or overly)? Try to find some really good reference photos of bodybuilders for help. The first time I made a really muscley guy, I bought a fitness mag that I still have. I felt like a tool buying it, but am really glad that I did.

The biggest problem that is there, is that you appear to be trying to model too much too quickly. Get the basic shade and volume first. He looks too flat. Get rid of the abs at the front and just block in shape. You can then later go in and add in the abs in a more natural way.

I find that looking at others wires was the most benificial way of learning. That way you can see how various parts of the body should join. Have a look at this site, http://www.metagons.com/wiredepot01.htm Just keep in mind that these models have been made to be smoothed. Also have a look at other Sumean's work both in the Exihibition area and the Challenge area. There are some fantastic models there for wire reference.

On the positive side, it is a lot better that what I was making for my first characters :) Just keep on practicing.

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:57 AM Permalink

Looks kinda like Ben Mathis's tute, the armoured guy with huge forearms. It's a good tutorial, but I'd suggest doing plain old nudes first, or even going lower in count say 1500 poly. I agree with Aven, it depends on your workflow, but I think it's better to rough out the whole character first before going in and detailed specific muscles etc.

Keep it up, I wish I started 3d in yr 10 :D

Hey most ISPs give you about 5 or 10 meg for a web page, if you use one find out if you can ftp your files up!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/12/03 - 12:36 AM Permalink

that tut by Ben Mathis is one of the sources im using to teach my how to make this, thanks for the help guys, ill be working on it again soon (damn rest of life interfeering :P )

im not attempting to break any barriers with this peice. Its really just a project so i have something to apply what ive learnt to, and a reason to look up more things. Im just picking up bits and peices from tutorials and putting them together to make a my first complete project. Yup my first, so its not going to be spectacular :P

thanks again for feedback

Submitted by Jeremiah on Wed, 10/12/03 - 11:51 AM Permalink

Im really impressed that a grade 10 student is so into what your doing, and what you post in the forums is more mature then most grade 10 students could ever manage. Im glad you have found what you really like doing, when i was in grade 10 I didnt have any clue at what I wanted to be, and although I was drawing at that time, i had no idea about 3d animation, where to begin etc..

3 words of advice; Practice, Patience, and Persistence, in 3 years time if you work really hard, you will be rocking peoples socks off with your art, Its all about those 3 little words, stick to them. Also dont neglect your schoolng it will get you into further education after highschool. (Hope I dont sound to much like a parent lol).

Great effort MoonUnit, keep up the effort. I wish I had started that young. Im only just starting 3d myself so hope to get something out after I teach myself some more 3d.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/12/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

dw im not letting it run over school, i had to stop for a bit (after making a basic character in the style of bender from futurama entirely out of basic geometric shapes :P) for exams, now its the holidays so im back into it.

thanks for your feedback, i am practicing all that i can, its extremely hard when you dont have someone to ask questions to, ocaisionaly i bug anthony (ironikart) but otherwise i suppose i only got you guys.