Skip to main content

EA is moving!!!

Forum

You've probably already heard but EA Los Angeles is moving into a new building soon in Playa Vista, Cali. Its eventually going to have over 1000 employees and some seriously cool benefits.

Heres how i found out:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/432/432451p1.html

This would have to be my dream work place[8D].

Its a shame i won't be moving to LA anytime soon[:(].

Submitted by sho nuff on Fri, 08/08/03 - 5:45 AM Permalink

im with u on that one. That place is the shiznit.

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 08/08/03 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Sorry, but I couldn't think of anything worse than working for a company with 1000 employees, and EA [?][?][?] no thanks!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 08/08/03 - 7:49 AM Permalink

My understanding is that the staff is so large because they pulled up shop from all their locations around the world and moved everyone who was willing to the one central location. But don't quote me on that.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Reminds me of when John Romero got Ion Storm started. They had a lavish and large office in a highrise (I think.. with a waterfall). It was to be a game developers haven where only the best games would come out, complete with special area full of games and consoles, relaxation areas, lounges.. etc.

...and they got nothing done! [;)]

(Ok, that's not entirely true. The world did get Daikatana after 4 years, amidst all the crap that was going on behind doors).
That EA campus looks like a very desirable place to work.. although I think you'd feel your contributions to the gaming world would be pretty small with such a large worker base - you'd feel like a very small axle in a huge corporate wheel. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but you know...

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:31 PM Permalink

But then again EA is like one of the largest 4 developers / publishers, what with all the EA sports titles etc. I believe they showed some of the offices for EA on 60 minutes in that game development story etc.

I think they can afford new nice offices.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 11:22 PM Permalink

I think they'd be working on a fair few titles. Therefore they'd probably still have decent size core teams per game and you wouldn't get lost just making footballs for madden all your life. [:P]

Nice looking setup and that beach is bloody tempting, mmmm surf every morning, lunch and arvo, but how many people do you think would have the time to go play soccer when chrunch time is on. lol.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/08/03 - 11:42 PM Permalink

Soccer field = makeshift sleeping quarters with tents during crunch time.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sat, 09/08/03 - 12:01 AM Permalink

LOL. Tents are better than sleeping under your work station.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sat, 09/08/03 - 12:05 AM Permalink

I Just found out Arnold Schwarzenegger will be running for Governor of California. Hmmm... is that good or bad?

Submitted by sho nuff on Sat, 09/08/03 - 2:44 AM Permalink

it will be good. Cuz then he can have a shot for presidency in the future. Then when that happens, he can get the army on a 'juice' regime, implemented from President Arnie himself. Then him and the 'roid' army can stick it to them damn terrorists, whilst shoulder pressing an f-16 at the same time.

Seriously though, i would laugh my ass off if he became president. But then in an odd way, it just might work.

I saw him on Jay Leno last night, and he must be working on his accent because he gave some solid answers when he was asked to talk on some issues, and it was all delivered without the slurrs we all like to mock. If he can pull it off, then good on him.

BTW, u guys brought up a pretty good point about having such a leisurely surrounding at work. But EA is probably working on the philosophy that 'a happy worker is a hard worker'. Well whatever the case, EA is top billing in almost every genre, so they can afford to buy up residency in cali. But what gets me is that smart businesses (which EA are) only expand if there bottomline can support it. So im thinking, them boys must have something pretty heavy hiding under there skirts to make such an expensive manouvre. Genre breaking games perhaps? who knows, only time will tell.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 09/08/03 - 2:56 AM Permalink

Furthering the war on oil..er terrorists is good solid platform for him to get elected I guess but maybe he could concentrate on combating Americas increasing iliterate, poverty striken and homeless backyard, just an idea. [:)]

You imagine his election ads?
Lots of republican freedom fighters lead by his terminator exo-self fighting the democrat T-X's. lol.

And the supporters slogan, "I'll be back-ing Arnie for President".

I saw that Jay Leno interview, I think he didn't slur because thats how he speaks when not playing a terminator man. lol.

He'd probably do a hell of a lot better than George 'Dubya' Bush is, he's a prat of a man.
I think people really don't give actors enough credit, do you really think Arnie would be this successful if he wasn't a driven, intelligent guy?

Being an actor in hollywierd these days is practically on par with running a multinational business. PR, Marketing etc.

Submitted by the dominic on Mon, 01/09/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

they have the same 'campus' set-up in the UK, with a similar number of staff.

quote:Originally posted by Pantmonger

My understanding is that the staff is so large because they pulled up shop from all their locations around the world and moved everyone who was willing to the one central location. But don't quote me on that.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 01/09/03 - 9:54 PM Permalink

quote: Well whatever the case, EA is top billing in almost every genre

I'm not too sure about this. Of late, their games have been a lot better but the only genre I think EA can claim real supremacy is in Sports. RPG, driving, fighting, RTS, FPS, puzzle, MMORPG etc... they are nowhere near the top.

Unless you were talking about sales (which I've never seen as an accurate indication for game quality only for the ability of the marketing dept.)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:09 PM Permalink

This is classic:

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoboy/blogstuff/STFU.jpg[/img]

I dunno, I think Arnie could be alright. He's obviously more intelligent than his accent gives him credit for. I don't think Americans would vote for someone that hadn't been 'born and bred' there but in terms of a recognisable face, he'd certainly pull in voters who wouldn't normally bother. Anyway - Jesse 'the Body' Ventura is already the Governor of Minnesota.

Having said that, Arnie's come from humble beginnings so he seems a more accessible governor, unlike the 'political families' you hear so much of in the States where they primp their sons and daughters to be senators at some stage in their life. I'd be more likely to trust someone who rose up themselves as opposed to someone who grew up in the elite community.

It's a pity Arnie's grandfather was a Nazi Stormtrooper, it's potentially made a dint in Arnies campaign. Having said that, Arnie has donate millions to stopping hate campaigns like those in the past.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:49 PM Permalink

Actually to be the American President you have to be born in America! So Arnie would not qualify, and the most he can get to is being governor or a senator - I think about the senator, might have to be American born for that too.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:10 AM Permalink

Hmm.. Wasn't Arnie president in the movie 'demolition man' or something?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

yeah they made reference to him being the president.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:14 AM Permalink

Now we know who to blame for giving him the idea!

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 02/09/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

I watch the first ad in his canpaign not long ago. The Califorians didn't respond to well, a few thought that he wasn't very sincere, and then there were jokes about how it lacked references to his movies.

Forum

You've probably already heard but EA Los Angeles is moving into a new building soon in Playa Vista, Cali. Its eventually going to have over 1000 employees and some seriously cool benefits.

Heres how i found out:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/432/432451p1.html

This would have to be my dream work place[8D].

Its a shame i won't be moving to LA anytime soon[:(].

Submitted by sho nuff on Fri, 08/08/03 - 5:45 AM Permalink

im with u on that one. That place is the shiznit.

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 08/08/03 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Sorry, but I couldn't think of anything worse than working for a company with 1000 employees, and EA [?][?][?] no thanks!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 08/08/03 - 7:49 AM Permalink

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Reminds me of when John Romero got Ion Storm started. They had a lavish and large office in a highrise (I think.. with a waterfall). It was to be a game developers haven where only the best games would come out, complete with special area full of games and consoles, relaxation areas, lounges.. etc.

...and they got nothing done! [;)]

(Ok, that's not entirely true. The world did get Daikatana after 4 years, amidst all the crap that was going on behind doors).
That EA campus looks like a very desirable place to work.. although I think you'd feel your contributions to the gaming world would be pretty small with such a large worker base - you'd feel like a very small axle in a huge corporate wheel. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but you know...

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:31 PM Permalink

But then again EA is like one of the largest 4 developers / publishers, what with all the EA sports titles etc. I believe they showed some of the offices for EA on 60 minutes in that game development story etc.

I think they can afford new nice offices.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 11:22 PM Permalink

I think they'd be working on a fair few titles. Therefore they'd probably still have decent size core teams per game and you wouldn't get lost just making footballs for madden all your life. [:P]

Nice looking setup and that beach is bloody tempting, mmmm surf every morning, lunch and arvo, but how many people do you think would have the time to go play soccer when chrunch time is on. lol.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/08/03 - 11:42 PM Permalink

Soccer field = makeshift sleeping quarters with tents during crunch time.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sat, 09/08/03 - 12:01 AM Permalink

LOL. Tents are better than sleeping under your work station.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sat, 09/08/03 - 12:05 AM Permalink

I Just found out Arnold Schwarzenegger will be running for Governor of California. Hmmm... is that good or bad?

Submitted by sho nuff on Sat, 09/08/03 - 2:44 AM Permalink

it will be good. Cuz then he can have a shot for presidency in the future. Then when that happens, he can get the army on a 'juice' regime, implemented from President Arnie himself. Then him and the 'roid' army can stick it to them damn terrorists, whilst shoulder pressing an f-16 at the same time.

Seriously though, i would laugh my ass off if he became president. But then in an odd way, it just might work.

I saw him on Jay Leno last night, and he must be working on his accent because he gave some solid answers when he was asked to talk on some issues, and it was all delivered without the slurrs we all like to mock. If he can pull it off, then good on him.

BTW, u guys brought up a pretty good point about having such a leisurely surrounding at work. But EA is probably working on the philosophy that 'a happy worker is a hard worker'. Well whatever the case, EA is top billing in almost every genre, so they can afford to buy up residency in cali. But what gets me is that smart businesses (which EA are) only expand if there bottomline can support it. So im thinking, them boys must have something pretty heavy hiding under there skirts to make such an expensive manouvre. Genre breaking games perhaps? who knows, only time will tell.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 09/08/03 - 2:56 AM Permalink

Furthering the war on oil..er terrorists is good solid platform for him to get elected I guess but maybe he could concentrate on combating Americas increasing iliterate, poverty striken and homeless backyard, just an idea. [:)]

You imagine his election ads?
Lots of republican freedom fighters lead by his terminator exo-self fighting the democrat T-X's. lol.

And the supporters slogan, "I'll be back-ing Arnie for President".

I saw that Jay Leno interview, I think he didn't slur because thats how he speaks when not playing a terminator man. lol.

He'd probably do a hell of a lot better than George 'Dubya' Bush is, he's a prat of a man.
I think people really don't give actors enough credit, do you really think Arnie would be this successful if he wasn't a driven, intelligent guy?

Being an actor in hollywierd these days is practically on par with running a multinational business. PR, Marketing etc.

Submitted by the dominic on Mon, 01/09/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

they have the same 'campus' set-up in the UK, with a similar number of staff.

quote:Originally posted by Pantmonger

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 01/09/03 - 9:54 PM Permalink

quote: Well whatever the case, EA is top billing in almost every genre

I'm not too sure about this. Of late, their games have been a lot better but the only genre I think EA can claim real supremacy is in Sports. RPG, driving, fighting, RTS, FPS, puzzle, MMORPG etc... they are nowhere near the top.

Unless you were talking about sales (which I've never seen as an accurate indication for game quality only for the ability of the marketing dept.)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:09 PM Permalink

This is classic:

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoboy/blogstuff/STFU.jpg[/img]

I dunno, I think Arnie could be alright. He's obviously more intelligent than his accent gives him credit for. I don't think Americans would vote for someone that hadn't been 'born and bred' there but in terms of a recognisable face, he'd certainly pull in voters who wouldn't normally bother. Anyway - Jesse 'the Body' Ventura is already the Governor of Minnesota.

Having said that, Arnie's come from humble beginnings so he seems a more accessible governor, unlike the 'political families' you hear so much of in the States where they primp their sons and daughters to be senators at some stage in their life. I'd be more likely to trust someone who rose up themselves as opposed to someone who grew up in the elite community.

It's a pity Arnie's grandfather was a Nazi Stormtrooper, it's potentially made a dint in Arnies campaign. Having said that, Arnie has donate millions to stopping hate campaigns like those in the past.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:49 PM Permalink

Actually to be the American President you have to be born in America! So Arnie would not qualify, and the most he can get to is being governor or a senator - I think about the senator, might have to be American born for that too.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:10 AM Permalink

Hmm.. Wasn't Arnie president in the movie 'demolition man' or something?

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

yeah they made reference to him being the president.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/09/03 - 1:14 AM Permalink

Now we know who to blame for giving him the idea!

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 02/09/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

I watch the first ad in his canpaign not long ago. The Califorians didn't respond to well, a few thought that he wasn't very sincere, and then there were jokes about how it lacked references to his movies.