Skip to main content

Malus Vs Pantmonger - Round 2

Submitted by Malus on

Hey guys heres my 3D part of the battle between me and Pantmonger.

Competition was as follows:

1 x female model & 1 x beast model
any style
3000 polygons max1 x 1024 & 1 x 512 texture for each
1 x 2D CG art of above.
2 weeks (its been 3 lol, but we are both so busy that we didnt have time to start them)

Queen of the Dragons
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/37_Dragon-queenL.jpg[/img]

Dragon
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/37_DragonL.jpg[/img]

All C&C welcomed, will have the 2D posted soon. And Pantmongers sure to have his up as well.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 08/02/03 - 9:10 AM Permalink

Im such a noob when it comes to image hosting :P

If anyone knows of any decent free places, I'll give ya a cookie. [8)]

Submitted by ProzacMouse on Mon, 10/02/03 - 3:47 AM Permalink

the pic of the dragon is a bit dark can't see it all that well, apart from that very nice[B)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 11/02/03 - 12:19 PM Permalink

good stuff!.. the female looks right in proportion, and the dragon looks very cool. A few things about the texturing in the female model, the cheeckbone shadowing is way too dark, and you have to remember where your light source is and make shadows consistent.. You have dark patches on the sides of her nose for example.. and I like how the shadows are more subtle on the rest of her body - the ones on her face are too contrasting, I reckon..

Submitted by beatsta on Tue, 11/02/03 - 1:37 PM Permalink

pantmonger, yr models and textures are really lookin well up there. you trully are becoming ( i hope becoming isnt seen as a negative as i dont know your history, only what i have read in yr profile) a proffessional 3d artist :) and its obvious in the feedback that you have gotten thru cgtalk and of course thru the works that you are doing.

sorry malus, i havnt had the chance to check your works out...the dragon is wicked, altho a little dark.
My last monitor went bust, altho i had it for 5 years and the one i have now is even older and smaller and just recently its display went really dark and i had to up the contrast and brightness manually (which i know isnt going to be a good thing), i wld imagine this might have sum considerale effect on any final output.. as to what others will view thru theirs..

i wonder malus, what your hsv or rgb or cmyk values are? that you used for the background shade of grey in your dragon pick, im thinkin i might need a benchmark as my monitor is not set at the default... or any1 that can give me a benchmark colur value? and example please.?

where is the best place to imagine your light source when you are painting textures? and you have no info on your engine?....i feel this might be a stupid question as i guess the best way would be to paint your highlights and shadows as if it was globally illuminated....and in which case everything would be have to be very subtle... no sharp highlights or contrasts, which wld take much thinkin and skill ( i also guess there are no stupid questions, only the ppl that treat them as such)...

ps if this is rply is messin with yr post, let me know and i will delete it [:)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 11/02/03 - 8:22 PM Permalink

Some time in the next few days (hopefully) Ill be able to add my entry to this comp, the reason for my lateness (well one of them) is due to my c: going to hell and back and having to be cleared and have everything reinstalled so, some missing work later and Im behind for everything, but it will get done.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 11/02/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

Beasta: not sure if Im just confused by your post but you do realise both the queen and the dragon are my work not pantmongers right? Just reading your post it seemed like you thought the girl might be pantmongers.[?] If not , then my bad.

Lighting: its just the max default lights.
Engine: its not for an actual game, (we wish hey Pants). Both Pantmonger and I live in Brisvegas and are looking for work, this is just to help challenge ourselves to complete only the best models/ textures we can.
The colour for that background isnt grey, its actually a smokey red.
Not sure if my monitor setup is what you want to go by man, I have no idea if its pantone correct or anything [:p] but heres the colour for that background for the dragon:
R:91
G:77
B:77

Posted by Malus on

Hey guys heres my 3D part of the battle between me and Pantmonger.

Competition was as follows:

1 x female model & 1 x beast model
any style
3000 polygons max1 x 1024 & 1 x 512 texture for each
1 x 2D CG art of above.
2 weeks (its been 3 lol, but we are both so busy that we didnt have time to start them)

Queen of the Dragons
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/37_Dragon-queenL.jpg[/img]

Dragon
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/37_DragonL.jpg[/img]

All C&C welcomed, will have the 2D posted soon. And Pantmongers sure to have his up as well.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 08/02/03 - 9:10 AM Permalink

Im such a noob when it comes to image hosting :P

If anyone knows of any decent free places, I'll give ya a cookie. [8)]

Submitted by ProzacMouse on Mon, 10/02/03 - 3:47 AM Permalink

the pic of the dragon is a bit dark can't see it all that well, apart from that very nice[B)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 11/02/03 - 12:19 PM Permalink

good stuff!.. the female looks right in proportion, and the dragon looks very cool. A few things about the texturing in the female model, the cheeckbone shadowing is way too dark, and you have to remember where your light source is and make shadows consistent.. You have dark patches on the sides of her nose for example.. and I like how the shadows are more subtle on the rest of her body - the ones on her face are too contrasting, I reckon..

Submitted by beatsta on Tue, 11/02/03 - 1:37 PM Permalink

pantmonger, yr models and textures are really lookin well up there. you trully are becoming ( i hope becoming isnt seen as a negative as i dont know your history, only what i have read in yr profile) a proffessional 3d artist :) and its obvious in the feedback that you have gotten thru cgtalk and of course thru the works that you are doing.

sorry malus, i havnt had the chance to check your works out...the dragon is wicked, altho a little dark.
My last monitor went bust, altho i had it for 5 years and the one i have now is even older and smaller and just recently its display went really dark and i had to up the contrast and brightness manually (which i know isnt going to be a good thing), i wld imagine this might have sum considerale effect on any final output.. as to what others will view thru theirs..

i wonder malus, what your hsv or rgb or cmyk values are? that you used for the background shade of grey in your dragon pick, im thinkin i might need a benchmark as my monitor is not set at the default... or any1 that can give me a benchmark colur value? and example please.?

where is the best place to imagine your light source when you are painting textures? and you have no info on your engine?....i feel this might be a stupid question as i guess the best way would be to paint your highlights and shadows as if it was globally illuminated....and in which case everything would be have to be very subtle... no sharp highlights or contrasts, which wld take much thinkin and skill ( i also guess there are no stupid questions, only the ppl that treat them as such)...

ps if this is rply is messin with yr post, let me know and i will delete it [:)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 11/02/03 - 8:22 PM Permalink

Some time in the next few days (hopefully) Ill be able to add my entry to this comp, the reason for my lateness (well one of them) is due to my c: going to hell and back and having to be cleared and have everything reinstalled so, some missing work later and Im behind for everything, but it will get done.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 11/02/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

Beasta: not sure if Im just confused by your post but you do realise both the queen and the dragon are my work not pantmongers right? Just reading your post it seemed like you thought the girl might be pantmongers.[?] If not , then my bad.

Lighting: its just the max default lights.
Engine: its not for an actual game, (we wish hey Pants). Both Pantmonger and I live in Brisvegas and are looking for work, this is just to help challenge ourselves to complete only the best models/ textures we can.
The colour for that background isnt grey, its actually a smokey red.
Not sure if my monitor setup is what you want to go by man, I have no idea if its pantone correct or anything [:p] but heres the colour for that background for the dragon:
R:91
G:77
B:77