Skip to main content

A cheap and decent Engine to liscence!!!

Forum

http://www.4drulers.com/ampordering.html
http://forum.4drulers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4049&perpage=15&pa…

Its from 4Drulers, makers of gore, its the amp2 engine.
It looks pretty damn good, theres pics of it on the second link.
It supports normal maps, bump mapping, skeletal animation, per-pixel dynamic lighting and shadows blah blah.
If your already familiar with gore and the old AMP engine this beats the hell out of it. And "thankfully" the level editor has been made more user friendly as well.

Why would you want to pay for this when you could use something free like tenebrae quake? I'm getting it to support the little guy(even though there not Aussie [;)] )
Plus I think the graphics look better too.
This could be a great opportunity for a start up company that doesnt have a lot of cash.

"when it comes to angry killing machines, nothing beats the Lord Jesus!"

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:49 AM Permalink

if you are a programmer looking for a cool free 3D engine try www.twilight3d.com and get the prophecy SDK, its kickass.

Glenn "Gaffer" Fiedler | Senior Programmer | Irrational Games

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 08/01/03 - 2:07 PM Permalink

I'd say build your own engine, but then you'd never really make a game, since creating the *perfect* engine would take up your entire time.

hehe...

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 08/01/03 - 2:51 PM Permalink

What's this Dom? I thought you were all for getting a game done and not stuffing around with low-level stuff! (I wish I was like that for sure!)

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 09/01/03 - 1:18 AM Permalink

Building a decent engine, especially by yourself, takes a lot of time, and you have to go back and change things after a while.

The only other engine I've had experience with hacking around in was the genesis3d engine, before being bought by WildTangent, and then back to some other owners and now I think its destiny3D. From that one engine there are now several including Genesis3D, Jet3D, and Destiny3D.

www.jet3d.org
www.genesis3d.com
www.destiny3d.com

I think...

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/01/03 - 5:21 AM Permalink

That AMP2 engine looks interesting. I guess the whole bump map texturing, light casting real-time shadows thing is the next big thing now, but with those screenshots (and I've noticed it with Doom3 as well), everything looks like plastic or rubber. It's probably not as noticable when everything is moving, but with still screenshots, that's what it looks like. I guess it's because every bump map surface is reflecting the same amount of light in return, and there's little or no colouring in there. Of course, real world objects don't reflect the same amount of light, and I wonder if it's possible to control how much is reflected from areas of bumpmaps..

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 09/01/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

i know what you mean with the rubber look-

i played that leaked version of doom and it did look like that.
the characters the most. good thing every room is very dark and you cant see much :)

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 09/01/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

Plus the leaked version of doom ran slow as... even on a very powerful computer.

I am sure carmack will get around to optimising it heavily sooner or later.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 09/01/03 - 10:18 AM Permalink

I agree with you on the plastic look souri. When I get a hold of the engine I want to find out what its like for outdoors or just more colorful scenes. I think it is possible to control the reflections.
Also it turns out a playable demo will also be put out sometime in the near future, I'm told that it looks so much better when you can see it in motion.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 09/01/03 - 11:52 AM Permalink

From what i've read the Doom3 engine only runs at acceptable levels in reasonably small enclosed spaces...so outdoors probably won't be much good.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 09/01/03 - 11:58 AM Permalink

i dont know about that.
but there was no outdoor areas at all in the playeable leaked (e3) version of the game.
i dont know if doom really has outdoor areas :)

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 09/01/03 - 11:39 PM Permalink

According to Joel, the guy who owns 4D and is making the demo:

"It won't run on a TNT2, Currently it only Runs on GeForce 3 or 4 Ti. If things go well we will have it working on all GeForce cards by release. Framerate is nice and fast in the testmap I built, on a GeForce 3 PIII 850 running 640x480, probably in the 50's most the time. If I raise the res to 1152x864 I still stay above 30."

So thats pretty reasonable.

as for the doom3 leak, I thought it was only optimised for the ATI radeon 9700 at the time which is why it sucked on anything else

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 10/01/03 - 12:20 AM Permalink

"on a GeForce 3 PIII 850 running 640x480, probably in the 50's most the time. If I raise the res to 1152x864 I still stay above 30"
Correct me if i'm worng but this has nothing to do with the engine, and is only dependent on the fill-rate of the graphics card? :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Fri, 10/01/03 - 5:38 AM Permalink

Probably. I cant say I know a hell of a lot about video cards

Forum

http://www.4drulers.com/ampordering.html
http://forum.4drulers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4049&perpage=15&pa…

Its from 4Drulers, makers of gore, its the amp2 engine.
It looks pretty damn good, theres pics of it on the second link.
It supports normal maps, bump mapping, skeletal animation, per-pixel dynamic lighting and shadows blah blah.
If your already familiar with gore and the old AMP engine this beats the hell out of it. And "thankfully" the level editor has been made more user friendly as well.

Why would you want to pay for this when you could use something free like tenebrae quake? I'm getting it to support the little guy(even though there not Aussie [;)] )
Plus I think the graphics look better too.
This could be a great opportunity for a start up company that doesnt have a lot of cash.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:49 AM Permalink

if you are a programmer looking for a cool free 3D engine try www.twilight3d.com and get the prophecy SDK, its kickass.

Glenn "Gaffer" Fiedler | Senior Programmer | Irrational Games

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 08/01/03 - 2:07 PM Permalink

I'd say build your own engine, but then you'd never really make a game, since creating the *perfect* engine would take up your entire time.

hehe...

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 08/01/03 - 2:51 PM Permalink

What's this Dom? I thought you were all for getting a game done and not stuffing around with low-level stuff! (I wish I was like that for sure!)

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 09/01/03 - 1:18 AM Permalink

Building a decent engine, especially by yourself, takes a lot of time, and you have to go back and change things after a while.

The only other engine I've had experience with hacking around in was the genesis3d engine, before being bought by WildTangent, and then back to some other owners and now I think its destiny3D. From that one engine there are now several including Genesis3D, Jet3D, and Destiny3D.

www.jet3d.org
www.genesis3d.com
www.destiny3d.com

I think...

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/01/03 - 5:21 AM Permalink

That AMP2 engine looks interesting. I guess the whole bump map texturing, light casting real-time shadows thing is the next big thing now, but with those screenshots (and I've noticed it with Doom3 as well), everything looks like plastic or rubber. It's probably not as noticable when everything is moving, but with still screenshots, that's what it looks like. I guess it's because every bump map surface is reflecting the same amount of light in return, and there's little or no colouring in there. Of course, real world objects don't reflect the same amount of light, and I wonder if it's possible to control how much is reflected from areas of bumpmaps..

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 09/01/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

i know what you mean with the rubber look-

i played that leaked version of doom and it did look like that.
the characters the most. good thing every room is very dark and you cant see much :)

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 09/01/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

Plus the leaked version of doom ran slow as... even on a very powerful computer.

I am sure carmack will get around to optimising it heavily sooner or later.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 09/01/03 - 10:18 AM Permalink

I agree with you on the plastic look souri. When I get a hold of the engine I want to find out what its like for outdoors or just more colorful scenes. I think it is possible to control the reflections.
Also it turns out a playable demo will also be put out sometime in the near future, I'm told that it looks so much better when you can see it in motion.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 09/01/03 - 11:52 AM Permalink

From what i've read the Doom3 engine only runs at acceptable levels in reasonably small enclosed spaces...so outdoors probably won't be much good.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 09/01/03 - 11:58 AM Permalink

i dont know about that.
but there was no outdoor areas at all in the playeable leaked (e3) version of the game.
i dont know if doom really has outdoor areas :)

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 09/01/03 - 11:39 PM Permalink

According to Joel, the guy who owns 4D and is making the demo:

"It won't run on a TNT2, Currently it only Runs on GeForce 3 or 4 Ti. If things go well we will have it working on all GeForce cards by release. Framerate is nice and fast in the testmap I built, on a GeForce 3 PIII 850 running 640x480, probably in the 50's most the time. If I raise the res to 1152x864 I still stay above 30."

So thats pretty reasonable.

as for the doom3 leak, I thought it was only optimised for the ATI radeon 9700 at the time which is why it sucked on anything else

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 10/01/03 - 12:20 AM Permalink

"on a GeForce 3 PIII 850 running 640x480, probably in the 50's most the time. If I raise the res to 1152x864 I still stay above 30"
Correct me if i'm worng but this has nothing to do with the engine, and is only dependent on the fill-rate of the graphics card? :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Fri, 10/01/03 - 5:38 AM Permalink

Probably. I cant say I know a hell of a lot about video cards