Skip to main content

Design & Technology - design maps?

Submitted by Sertan on

Hi,

Judging from my post count, it's obvious I'm a new member here, but I hope to be of some use to people around here.

Just a little bit about me:
I'm a seventeen year old doing my HSC this year. There, that was short.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to inform students that have not started the Preliminary course (year 11) about Design & Technology and how it can be used as a great starting point for budding level designers.

Let me explain a bit about the course:

In year 11, you're given a design brief with several constrictions, or limits. Mine, for example, was to design something that helped the environment. So I designed a website. Anyway, you're given a second design brief in term 2 where there are no constrictions other than time. For this one, I designed my first multiplayer map (it was for Half-Life using VHE).

In year 12, you only have one project that spans for roughly eleven months. I am again designing a map using VHE, though this time it's very likely to be for CS (you have to take market dominance into account as well).

So far, I've completed most of my sketches and development of the level will begin as of next month.

What I'm trying to say is that this is the perfect opportunity for students to have an early start in level design (given that there are actually students roughly 15-17 years old in these forums). Not only do you go through the proper processes of design, such as the project proposal, evaluation, etc. (which gives it a professional impression), but you've got a headstart for those fun years in uni where level design becomes a hobby.

I hope this has proven to be useful for at least one or two of you. [:)]

Vivian: You go too far, Marlowe.
Marlowe: Those are some harsh words to say to a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom.

Submitted by Sertan on Fri, 07/02/03 - 9:39 AM Permalink

I hope so too, but it's still a lot of work. I'm not, of course, trying to provide an excuse in the case that my map turns out mediocre at best, but year 11 and 12 aren't easy. A lot of pressure that they forgot to ease us into during years 7-10.

Anyhow, this project also conflicts with my other subjects, so don't expect a full-blown WOW thang (although that's what I'm aiming for [;)]). Also, this is only my second map, my first being a pathetically textured and lightly decaled pile of dog shit (much like what you would find in Gunman Chronicles, in fact). Finally, I believe this is the first attempt at level design in the history of the course, the closest being work on CAD and 3DMax.

Marlowe: Those are some harsh words to say to a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom.

Submitted by ProzacMouse on Sat, 15/02/03 - 10:20 AM Permalink

where do you go to school man? i wish i could do something like that...though i did get a good boost into 3D from my school.[8D]

random fact #1
you can never have too many [:D]'s
[:D][:D][:D][8D][:I][;)][}:)][:o)][8)][:(][8][B)][:(!][xx(][|)][?]
see?

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 5:22 AM Permalink

I go to Muirfield Technology High School in North Rocks, Sydney.

We like a man who comes right out and says what he thinks - when he agrees with us.

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:40 AM Permalink

I would advise against making something for school that you also use for your entertainment / hobby, I tired and failed miserably at it. I might be fun looking at HL levels all day, but in the end you have to have the work done, and the markers have to know how to get around.

Although I suppose for that single level you coulh have it being showed off via a demo, and perhaps free view too.

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 10:53 AM Permalink

quote: I would advise against making something for school that you also use for your entertainment / hobby, I tired and failed miserably at it. I might be fun looking at HL levels all day, but in the end you have to have the work done, and the markers have to know how to get around.

Although I suppose for that single level you coulh have it being showed off via a demo, and perhaps free view too.

I think I need to explain a few things.

The markers visit the schools when marking a project. Hence, I could arrange, say, a four-player LAN at my school and have the marker watch for ten minutes. Also, my DT teacher said that the project can have a personal purpose as well. Mine was that I want to expand my career folio, and entertainment was an aside. He was all for it (being a marker himself).

The Free View thingy is a great idea! Thanks! That'll help a lot, because then the marker can check whether I meet the criteria (that I established in my folio). Anyway, thanks again. [:D][:D][:D]

We like a man who comes right out and says what he thinks - when he agrees with us.

Posted by Sertan on

Hi,

Judging from my post count, it's obvious I'm a new member here, but I hope to be of some use to people around here.

Just a little bit about me:
I'm a seventeen year old doing my HSC this year. There, that was short.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to inform students that have not started the Preliminary course (year 11) about Design & Technology and how it can be used as a great starting point for budding level designers.

Let me explain a bit about the course:

In year 11, you're given a design brief with several constrictions, or limits. Mine, for example, was to design something that helped the environment. So I designed a website. Anyway, you're given a second design brief in term 2 where there are no constrictions other than time. For this one, I designed my first multiplayer map (it was for Half-Life using VHE).

In year 12, you only have one project that spans for roughly eleven months. I am again designing a map using VHE, though this time it's very likely to be for CS (you have to take market dominance into account as well).

So far, I've completed most of my sketches and development of the level will begin as of next month.

What I'm trying to say is that this is the perfect opportunity for students to have an early start in level design (given that there are actually students roughly 15-17 years old in these forums). Not only do you go through the proper processes of design, such as the project proposal, evaluation, etc. (which gives it a professional impression), but you've got a headstart for those fun years in uni where level design becomes a hobby.

I hope this has proven to be useful for at least one or two of you. [:)]

Submitted by Sertan on Fri, 07/02/03 - 9:39 AM Permalink

I hope so too, but it's still a lot of work. I'm not, of course, trying to provide an excuse in the case that my map turns out mediocre at best, but year 11 and 12 aren't easy. A lot of pressure that they forgot to ease us into during years 7-10.

Anyhow, this project also conflicts with my other subjects, so don't expect a full-blown WOW thang (although that's what I'm aiming for [;)]). Also, this is only my second map, my first being a pathetically textured and lightly decaled pile of dog shit (much like what you would find in Gunman Chronicles, in fact). Finally, I believe this is the first attempt at level design in the history of the course, the closest being work on CAD and 3DMax.

Submitted by ProzacMouse on Sat, 15/02/03 - 10:20 AM Permalink

where do you go to school man? i wish i could do something like that...though i did get a good boost into 3D from my school.[8D]

random fact #1
you can never have too many [:D]'s
[:D][:D][:D][8D][:I][;)][}:)][:o)][8)][:(][8][B)][:(!][xx(][|)][?]
see?

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 5:22 AM Permalink

I go to Muirfield Technology High School in North Rocks, Sydney.

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:40 AM Permalink

I would advise against making something for school that you also use for your entertainment / hobby, I tired and failed miserably at it. I might be fun looking at HL levels all day, but in the end you have to have the work done, and the markers have to know how to get around.

Submitted by Sertan on Sun, 16/02/03 - 10:53 AM Permalink

quote: I would advise against making something for school that you also use for your entertainment / hobby, I tired and failed miserably at it. I might be fun looking at HL levels all day, but in the end you have to have the work done, and the markers have to know how to get around.

I think I need to explain a few things.

The markers visit the schools when marking a project. Hence, I could arrange, say, a four-player LAN at my school and have the marker watch for ten minutes. Also, my DT teacher said that the project can have a personal purpose as well. Mine was that I want to expand my career folio, and entertainment was an aside. He was all for it (being a marker himself).

The Free View thingy is a great idea! Thanks! That'll help a lot, because then the marker can check whether I meet the criteria (that I established in my folio). Anyway, thanks again. [:D][:D][:D]