Submitted by Gaffer on

Who needs flash when you can code java? [8D]

www.gaffer.org/java/rose.html
www.gaffer.org/java/sparkle.html
www.gaffer.org/java/string.html
www.gaffer.org/java/meshy.html

Glenn "Gaffer" Fiedler | Senior Programmer | Irrational Games

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 07/01/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

oohhh, pretty. gewd damn it i wish i had money to hire programmers and just have them make cool stuff, sigh

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 9:35 AM Permalink

I've seen some of those done in flash, although are somewhat slower.. very cool effects [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:13 AM Permalink

Oh, I wasn't saying yours was slower.. I've seen some of the shaded line effects in Flash, and they seemed slower than your java ones.. and they used much less lines or iterations (sorry, I am SO not a programmer [:)]).. I've seen a lot of those 'magnetic' rubber band line things too in Flash.. they had much less points though as well.
You should get some textured 3d stuff going in some Java! [;)]

Submitted by Gaffer on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:27 AM Permalink

yeah i knew thats what you meant, my point is line-art in flash is pretty common these days, probably silly for me to compete with lines in java then, its just that its pretty damn hard to get the fillrate in java required to get even flatshaded stuff running at a decent clip, and texture mapping, dont even bother, its all in software so it would be jaggy as hell, no filtering... UGLEEEEEE!

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Damnit those rule man !

Now if only you could make some decent winamp visualisations with those effects that would rock :-)

I would love to help you on that tho...

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 08/01/03 - 12:43 AM Permalink

Yeah, I could imagine that it wouldn't, I tried to fit in full time university around game development (stilll hobby based but I was heavily devoted) and that didn't turn out too well.

I guess the time that you're not at work you spend partying or with your family (if you have one that is). ?

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 08/01/03 - 1:06 AM Permalink

Well I guess it might be time to show off a little "artistic" demo that I did *gasp* over a year ago for a job application.

It might not work 100% on all people's computers because there were some bugs in the code that long ago, but its something cool none-the-less. Some of you game industry people might recognise it since I sent it out to many places in hopes of getting a job.

Download it from my website: [url]http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~sdgrab/Teapot-Demo.zip[/url] oh yeah, and read the readme file for more info.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 08/01/03 - 4:39 AM Permalink

Actually, i'm doing honours math part time at ANU while working at irrational - i only do one subject a semester, but its terribly hard to find the time to study, let alone attend lectures, most of my spare time is spent sitting at home in a zombie like state feeling bad about being behind in my studies ;)

i'll check your demo out daemin, cheers

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/01/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

What are you currently working on now at Irrational, Gaffer? The Lost?
That reminds me, I've had a set of interview questions for Jonathon Chey for aaages.. I should really send it off to him.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:21 AM Permalink

The Lost is being done by the team in Boston, i cant really say what the Australian team is working on yet, as the publisher hasnt announced it yet we are all under NDA etc ;)

you should send those questions off to jon, i'm sure he'd be happy to respond, feels nice when somebody wants to interview you ;)

cheers

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:37 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Gaffer

The Lost is being done by the team in Boston, i cant really say what the Australian team is working on yet, as the publisher hasnt announced it yet we are all under NDA etc ;)

PHWOOAR!! I KNEW IT!! SYSTEM SHOCK 3 !!@@!!@ [;)]

kidding.. sorry, it just reminded me of that rumour a while back of System shock 3 in production due to that Boston programming job advertisement. It's funny how rumours can just spring out of nowhere [:)]

Submitted by Gaffer on Thu, 09/01/03 - 8:46 PM Permalink

rumours h0h0h0! [8D]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Gaffer! I see in your forum profile that you worked at Auran as well.. what did you work on over there?!

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 6:03 AM Permalink

do you have a site with your stuff on it roo?

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 16/01/03 - 10:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

argh!

You almost gave me a heart attack![:0]

--redwyre

Submitted by bouncy roo on Thu, 16/01/03 - 1:22 PM Permalink

Did have but I've taken to Souri's site here and have been uploading a little bit of my stuff here on sumea :) hehe and I have to pay some overdue host fees *hides* but i will have to do that very soon [:)]

//Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve. \(anon)

Submitted by Gaffer on Fri, 17/01/03 - 2:08 AM Permalink

if your host is expensive, try switching to tierra.net, nice and cheap, and really fast

Posted by Gaffer on

Who needs flash when you can code java? [8D]

www.gaffer.org/java/rose.html
www.gaffer.org/java/sparkle.html
www.gaffer.org/java/string.html
www.gaffer.org/java/meshy.html

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 07/01/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

oohhh, pretty. gewd damn it i wish i had money to hire programmers and just have them make cool stuff, sigh

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 9:35 AM Permalink

I've seen some of those done in flash, although are somewhat slower.. very cool effects [:)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:13 AM Permalink

Oh, I wasn't saying yours was slower.. I've seen some of the shaded line effects in Flash, and they seemed slower than your java ones.. and they used much less lines or iterations (sorry, I am SO not a programmer [:)]).. I've seen a lot of those 'magnetic' rubber band line things too in Flash.. they had much less points though as well.
You should get some textured 3d stuff going in some Java! [;)]

Submitted by Gaffer on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:27 AM Permalink

yeah i knew thats what you meant, my point is line-art in flash is pretty common these days, probably silly for me to compete with lines in java then, its just that its pretty damn hard to get the fillrate in java required to get even flatshaded stuff running at a decent clip, and texture mapping, dont even bother, its all in software so it would be jaggy as hell, no filtering... UGLEEEEEE!

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 07/01/03 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Damnit those rule man !

Now if only you could make some decent winamp visualisations with those effects that would rock :-)

I would love to help you on that tho...

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 08/01/03 - 12:43 AM Permalink

Yeah, I could imagine that it wouldn't, I tried to fit in full time university around game development (stilll hobby based but I was heavily devoted) and that didn't turn out too well.

I guess the time that you're not at work you spend partying or with your family (if you have one that is). ?

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 08/01/03 - 1:06 AM Permalink

Well I guess it might be time to show off a little "artistic" demo that I did *gasp* over a year ago for a job application.

It might not work 100% on all people's computers because there were some bugs in the code that long ago, but its something cool none-the-less. Some of you game industry people might recognise it since I sent it out to many places in hopes of getting a job.

Download it from my website: [url]http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~sdgrab/Teapot-Demo.zip[/url] oh yeah, and read the readme file for more info.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 08/01/03 - 4:39 AM Permalink

Actually, i'm doing honours math part time at ANU while working at irrational - i only do one subject a semester, but its terribly hard to find the time to study, let alone attend lectures, most of my spare time is spent sitting at home in a zombie like state feeling bad about being behind in my studies ;)

i'll check your demo out daemin, cheers

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/01/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

What are you currently working on now at Irrational, Gaffer? The Lost?
That reminds me, I've had a set of interview questions for Jonathon Chey for aaages.. I should really send it off to him.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:21 AM Permalink

you should send those questions off to jon, i'm sure he'd be happy to respond, feels nice when somebody wants to interview you ;)

cheers

Submitted by souri on Wed, 08/01/03 - 11:37 PM Permalink

kidding.. sorry, it just reminded me of that rumour a while back of System shock 3 in production due to that Boston programming job advertisement. It's funny how rumours can just spring out of nowhere [:)]

Submitted by Gaffer on Thu, 09/01/03 - 8:46 PM Permalink

rumours h0h0h0! [8D]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/01/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Gaffer! I see in your forum profile that you worked at Auran as well.. what did you work on over there?!

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 6:03 AM Permalink

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 16/01/03 - 10:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

argh!

You almost gave me a heart attack![:0]

--redwyre

Submitted by bouncy roo on Thu, 16/01/03 - 1:22 PM Permalink

Did have but I've taken to Souri's site here and have been uploading a little bit of my stuff here on sumea :) hehe and I have to pay some overdue host fees *hides* but i will have to do that very soon [:)]

//Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve. \(anon)

Submitted by Gaffer on Fri, 17/01/03 - 2:08 AM Permalink

if your host is expensive, try switching to tierra.net, nice and cheap, and really fast