Skip to main content

Hey All!

Submitted by Morphine on
Forum

Just thought I'd drop in a say G'day!

I haven't been on sumea for a while and I bang my head everyday for not doing so [:0]

Work and WoW are partly to blame and my current dispute in where my life is going at the moment. I can't decide what I want to do with my life now. I have multiple degrees/diplomas from uni and Qantm, I can compose music (which I'd love to do for games), develop game ideas and thrash out concepts, IT/Multimedia. I'm in a deadend job with no look in for a raise or promotion. [:(!]

My passion however is games and music. My probable dream job would consist of Composing music and developing game concepts. I know that there is no known job title for that position, only separate (Musician and Project Lead, somewhat). As some of you are "in the know", how is it possible to get a steady job which such passion in these seamingly two fields?

/Signed, one frustrated individual [:X]

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 06/07/05 - 7:01 PM Permalink

You need to make yourself known and get yourself out into the middle of it all. If you have a real passion for music then simply try to get onto a small indie title to do theirs. A decent music guy is in HIGH demand ( well we always needed one ) as they are simply in the minority in games dev.

Join the IGDA - Brisbane Chapter
The Forum
http://www.igda.org/Forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=196

Make friends with Mick over at Lava Injection as he is an independant Music composer supplying music to games. He is also a key figure in the IGDA also. He would be a fantastic wealth of advice for someone in your field.

If you are serious, talanted and above all passionate then just get in amongst it so to speak and you will find that opportunaties will present themselves. When they do its just a matter of leaping on them and wrestling them to the ground the old Steve Irwin way... CRIKEY!

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 06/07/05 - 9:22 PM Permalink

Hey Mik, glad you're still on the scene [:D]
This is Josh btw, remember Arena Battles in 2003?
Man that seems along time ago. Problem is my folio, its all over the place.

Over the next few months I'll be putting together a new folio, including my music compositions that need to be taken out of my head (the hard bit). I haven't seen Qantm guys in a while, how'd did Scootarama turn out after AGDC (and the award [:D]?

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 06/07/05 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Oh Hi Josh [:)] Sure do remember Arena Battles.. still got a copy sitting around home somewhere.

Yep get that new folio sorted out. heh Scootarama is been placed on "Indefinate Hold" due to 90% of the team succesfully getting a job at varius games dev houses around brisbane. WOOT.

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 15/07/05 - 3:41 AM Permalink

Glad your group got employed, great work!

Heard of any other ex-Qantm/Qantm students getting employed in the industry? I'll still interested in getting in, but I doubt it will be in the next year (I'm realistic! :D)

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 15/07/05 - 6:40 AM Permalink

a lot of artists from the dip got work, and Mark and Brian (two of the coders on emissary) found work afterwards aswell. they are the only ones i know of though cos i was in that team.

Posted by Morphine on
Forum

Just thought I'd drop in a say G'day!

I haven't been on sumea for a while and I bang my head everyday for not doing so [:0]

Work and WoW are partly to blame and my current dispute in where my life is going at the moment. I can't decide what I want to do with my life now. I have multiple degrees/diplomas from uni and Qantm, I can compose music (which I'd love to do for games), develop game ideas and thrash out concepts, IT/Multimedia. I'm in a deadend job with no look in for a raise or promotion. [:(!]

My passion however is games and music. My probable dream job would consist of Composing music and developing game concepts. I know that there is no known job title for that position, only separate (Musician and Project Lead, somewhat). As some of you are "in the know", how is it possible to get a steady job which such passion in these seamingly two fields?

/Signed, one frustrated individual [:X]

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 06/07/05 - 7:01 PM Permalink

You need to make yourself known and get yourself out into the middle of it all. If you have a real passion for music then simply try to get onto a small indie title to do theirs. A decent music guy is in HIGH demand ( well we always needed one ) as they are simply in the minority in games dev.

Join the IGDA - Brisbane Chapter
The Forum
http://www.igda.org/Forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=196

Make friends with Mick over at Lava Injection as he is an independant Music composer supplying music to games. He is also a key figure in the IGDA also. He would be a fantastic wealth of advice for someone in your field.

If you are serious, talanted and above all passionate then just get in amongst it so to speak and you will find that opportunaties will present themselves. When they do its just a matter of leaping on them and wrestling them to the ground the old Steve Irwin way... CRIKEY!

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 06/07/05 - 9:22 PM Permalink

Hey Mik, glad you're still on the scene [:D]
This is Josh btw, remember Arena Battles in 2003?
Man that seems along time ago. Problem is my folio, its all over the place.

Over the next few months I'll be putting together a new folio, including my music compositions that need to be taken out of my head (the hard bit). I haven't seen Qantm guys in a while, how'd did Scootarama turn out after AGDC (and the award [:D]?

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 06/07/05 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Oh Hi Josh [:)] Sure do remember Arena Battles.. still got a copy sitting around home somewhere.

Yep get that new folio sorted out. heh Scootarama is been placed on "Indefinate Hold" due to 90% of the team succesfully getting a job at varius games dev houses around brisbane. WOOT.

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 15/07/05 - 3:41 AM Permalink

Glad your group got employed, great work!

Heard of any other ex-Qantm/Qantm students getting employed in the industry? I'll still interested in getting in, but I doubt it will be in the next year (I'm realistic! :D)

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 15/07/05 - 6:40 AM Permalink

a lot of artists from the dip got work, and Mark and Brian (two of the coders on emissary) found work afterwards aswell. they are the only ones i know of though cos i was in that team.