Skip to main content

i have new card wheeee

Submitted by MoonUnit on
Forum

just feel like mentioning that i have finally upgraded my video card to a brand spaking new saphire radeon 9600XT. The improvements are amazing (which isnt suprising... err i was running onboard before) and it also means that all these programs that would not run before (on account of running out of video memory for D3D) are now running, including ones like Maya PLE and UnrealED so i should be able to do some more games orrientated work now :D

anyone else got this card and how are they finding it?

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 06/06/04 - 12:00 PM Permalink

A fair few of my friends got Radeon 9600XT's, but I got the 9800XT because I could (somehow) :-)

Generally all is well, no complaints really, since they can play all games well enough etc. The drivers are alright, I haven't experienced any continued problems with them.

Submitted by Rahnem on Mon, 07/06/04 - 1:32 AM Permalink

You were using onboard graphics! Sweet jesus man! [}:)]

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 07/06/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

I would have stuck with the onboard..... :p

Submitted by souri on Mon, 07/06/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

I got a saphire radeon 9600XT a few months ago. It's been pretty good, although I've had problems with Unreal Tournament 2004. The gun turrets and tank nozzles ingame still don't show up until about 10 minutes of play and I don't see the teams listing, can't tell who's on my team, can't see which nodes have been taken until later.. After installing the latest patch, the game crashes after a round or two, guaranteed. The editor used to crash a lot too, and it wouldn't let me select brushes at all anyway, so I haven't been able to do anything with unreal ed.

I got the Half Life 2 coupon with the card. Read the fine print and found out that you have to pay to get it shipped to you, so I installed Steam and will download HL2 when it arrives. If you register before Half Life 2 is released, you get Half Life, Counterstrike, DOD etc free via Steam. Don't really enjoy Counterstrike as much as I used to, but it's good for a quick game or two now and then.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 07/06/04 - 4:40 AM Permalink

never had those problems on unrealtournament2k4 myself, before or after getting the new card.

Got a link for steam?

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 07/06/04 - 6:43 AM Permalink

Souri: That's wierd, none of my friends have had trouble with UT2k4, are you sure that it's not a drive or motherboard issue or other?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 07/06/04 - 6:57 AM Permalink

I got a 9700 last year, it's still good!

Submitted by souri on Mon, 07/06/04 - 2:37 PM Permalink

[url="http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow"]You can get Steam here[/url].

I have the latest Catalyst gfx drivers, and not I'm not sure if it's a motherboard issue? The new community maps and content for Unreal Tournament 2004 are great, it just sucks I can't play the game online without those problems. [:(]

*hoping the 9600XT handles Doom3 ok when it comes out*

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 08/06/04 - 6:21 PM Permalink

what specs does your computer have moony, i'm just surprised that, you couldn't run maya ple or unreal ed with your previous card, but you could play UT2K4. What was the old card?

Isn't it possible to run Maya with a software driver, like in max?

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 08/06/04 - 8:50 PM Permalink

Moony, you were using onboard video before no ? playing unreal 2k4 [:0] I feel for you man!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 09/06/04 - 2:03 AM Permalink

youd be suprised, UT2k4 is one of the best games ive seen for running on a variety of systems with different cards and the like.

The reason i could run UT and not maya n stuff bullet was because my onboard video card had run out of memory to create new D3D properties. I think it may be possible to run maya with a software driver like in max but you can only configure this once youve executed the program and thus sucessfully run it on the default setting of D3D. Max brings up a little window asking you what renderer you wish to use before it even initiates the program (on first execution).

thanks for link souri

Submitted by souri on Wed, 09/06/04 - 12:57 PM Permalink

Is it just me but is Fileplanet just the worst heap of animal turd to try and download stuff off? I'm clicking on servers to download that model, and I'm just sitting and waiting forever for a response and nothing's happening... can someone host the file so a few of us can grab it please?

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 09/06/04 - 5:54 PM Permalink

For some reason it reminds me of Orbb of Quake 3, maybe it's the wierd positioning of the weapon.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 09/06/04 - 6:02 PM Permalink

Cool model Bob. Loved that guy when he was in Quake 3 :D

Fileplanet became rather poor as soon as they started up the subscription and login service :/

I did a search for ut2k4-magdalena.zip in some search engines and all that came up was the Polycount site, I really don't like Fileplanet, but if someone wants to PM me with a login (if you trust me ;) ), then I will download it, and host it for a little while (until my ISP gets pissed with me at least :D )

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 10/06/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

shizfudge! thats a neat model. i downloaded it and have had a look in game, its awesome to play and i love when people differ from the humanoid style frame.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 10/06/04 - 11:39 PM Permalink

Yeah, they(dark horizon and skullbox) made a character for ut2003 also; effigy.. I'm keeping an eye out for a re release to ut2004.. Not that I have the game or anything.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 11/06/04 - 1:30 AM Permalink

yeah i remember that one aswell, it won the nvidia contest for best model and too damn right

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 11/06/04 - 2:07 AM Permalink

Get a hold of the original Magdalena for quake 3. Has some of the best game textures I've seen on it, a couple of them by Kingofdaveness too.

Posted by MoonUnit on
Forum

just feel like mentioning that i have finally upgraded my video card to a brand spaking new saphire radeon 9600XT. The improvements are amazing (which isnt suprising... err i was running onboard before) and it also means that all these programs that would not run before (on account of running out of video memory for D3D) are now running, including ones like Maya PLE and UnrealED so i should be able to do some more games orrientated work now :D

anyone else got this card and how are they finding it?

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 06/06/04 - 12:00 PM Permalink

A fair few of my friends got Radeon 9600XT's, but I got the 9800XT because I could (somehow) :-)

Generally all is well, no complaints really, since they can play all games well enough etc. The drivers are alright, I haven't experienced any continued problems with them.

Submitted by Rahnem on Mon, 07/06/04 - 1:32 AM Permalink

You were using onboard graphics! Sweet jesus man! [}:)]

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 07/06/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

I would have stuck with the onboard..... :p

Submitted by souri on Mon, 07/06/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

I got a saphire radeon 9600XT a few months ago. It's been pretty good, although I've had problems with Unreal Tournament 2004. The gun turrets and tank nozzles ingame still don't show up until about 10 minutes of play and I don't see the teams listing, can't tell who's on my team, can't see which nodes have been taken until later.. After installing the latest patch, the game crashes after a round or two, guaranteed. The editor used to crash a lot too, and it wouldn't let me select brushes at all anyway, so I haven't been able to do anything with unreal ed.

I got the Half Life 2 coupon with the card. Read the fine print and found out that you have to pay to get it shipped to you, so I installed Steam and will download HL2 when it arrives. If you register before Half Life 2 is released, you get Half Life, Counterstrike, DOD etc free via Steam. Don't really enjoy Counterstrike as much as I used to, but it's good for a quick game or two now and then.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 07/06/04 - 4:40 AM Permalink

never had those problems on unrealtournament2k4 myself, before or after getting the new card.

Got a link for steam?

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 07/06/04 - 6:43 AM Permalink

Souri: That's wierd, none of my friends have had trouble with UT2k4, are you sure that it's not a drive or motherboard issue or other?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 07/06/04 - 6:57 AM Permalink

I got a 9700 last year, it's still good!

Submitted by souri on Mon, 07/06/04 - 2:37 PM Permalink

[url="http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow"]You can get Steam here[/url].

I have the latest Catalyst gfx drivers, and not I'm not sure if it's a motherboard issue? The new community maps and content for Unreal Tournament 2004 are great, it just sucks I can't play the game online without those problems. [:(]

*hoping the 9600XT handles Doom3 ok when it comes out*

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 08/06/04 - 6:21 PM Permalink

what specs does your computer have moony, i'm just surprised that, you couldn't run maya ple or unreal ed with your previous card, but you could play UT2K4. What was the old card?

Isn't it possible to run Maya with a software driver, like in max?

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 08/06/04 - 8:50 PM Permalink

Moony, you were using onboard video before no ? playing unreal 2k4 [:0] I feel for you man!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 09/06/04 - 2:03 AM Permalink

youd be suprised, UT2k4 is one of the best games ive seen for running on a variety of systems with different cards and the like.

The reason i could run UT and not maya n stuff bullet was because my onboard video card had run out of memory to create new D3D properties. I think it may be possible to run maya with a software driver like in max but you can only configure this once youve executed the program and thus sucessfully run it on the default setting of D3D. Max brings up a little window asking you what renderer you wish to use before it even initiates the program (on first execution).

thanks for link souri

Submitted by souri on Wed, 09/06/04 - 12:57 PM Permalink

Is it just me but is Fileplanet just the worst heap of animal turd to try and download stuff off? I'm clicking on servers to download that model, and I'm just sitting and waiting forever for a response and nothing's happening... can someone host the file so a few of us can grab it please?

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 09/06/04 - 5:54 PM Permalink

For some reason it reminds me of Orbb of Quake 3, maybe it's the wierd positioning of the weapon.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 09/06/04 - 6:02 PM Permalink

Cool model Bob. Loved that guy when he was in Quake 3 :D

Fileplanet became rather poor as soon as they started up the subscription and login service :/

I did a search for ut2k4-magdalena.zip in some search engines and all that came up was the Polycount site, I really don't like Fileplanet, but if someone wants to PM me with a login (if you trust me ;) ), then I will download it, and host it for a little while (until my ISP gets pissed with me at least :D )

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 10/06/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

shizfudge! thats a neat model. i downloaded it and have had a look in game, its awesome to play and i love when people differ from the humanoid style frame.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 10/06/04 - 11:39 PM Permalink

Yeah, they(dark horizon and skullbox) made a character for ut2003 also; effigy.. I'm keeping an eye out for a re release to ut2004.. Not that I have the game or anything.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 11/06/04 - 1:30 AM Permalink

yeah i remember that one aswell, it won the nvidia contest for best model and too damn right

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 11/06/04 - 2:07 AM Permalink

Get a hold of the original Magdalena for quake 3. Has some of the best game textures I've seen on it, a couple of them by Kingofdaveness too.