Skip to main content

Concerning Piracy

Submitted by sho nuff on
Forum

Does anyone know of any good articles concerning piracy in the games industry, paricularly in oz? I know its bad as hell in Asia and Europe, even in the U.S, but has anyone looked at how badly it effects the oz gaming industry?

If anyone has information about how companies have defended against piracy, or stats and figures, even laws protecting games, it would be appreciated.

Souri, this post probably points your way the most, seeing as how ur a good source for just about everything.

Cheers

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 21/06/03 - 1:48 AM Permalink

I hate the way MMORPGs are charged. It's daylight robbery :)

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 05/07/03 - 1:40 AM Permalink

I'd be more willing to part with my cash for a mmorpg if the Australian government took us out of the dark ages and was a bit more comparable with the rest of the world on the priceing and quality of our cable network.
I'd hazard a guess theres an igloo up there somewhere doing better than us in that department.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 05/07/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

Very interesting article you linked there Sho-nuff. It's incredible that most Hong Kong retailers sell their X Boxes pre-modded! I've read about the modded X Boxes/installing bigger HD/copying games straight from disc to HD (with ease) somewhere before. Microsoft must be a tad worried.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 05/07/03 - 7:11 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

I'd hazard a guess theres an igloo up there somewhere doing better than us in that department.

I don't know about an igloo, but due to their government policy most tiny italian villages have mighty cable going to evey home and discounts on computers.
Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 06/07/03 - 1:35 PM Permalink

Don't I know it, I was in a tiny Italian village called Orvieto in 2000 and even though the town had no major ammenities (bottled instead of running water) you could jump on cable ready computers at nearly every hostel, taverna etc.

Posted by sho nuff on
Forum

Does anyone know of any good articles concerning piracy in the games industry, paricularly in oz? I know its bad as hell in Asia and Europe, even in the U.S, but has anyone looked at how badly it effects the oz gaming industry?

If anyone has information about how companies have defended against piracy, or stats and figures, even laws protecting games, it would be appreciated.

Souri, this post probably points your way the most, seeing as how ur a good source for just about everything.

Cheers

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 21/06/03 - 1:48 AM Permalink

I hate the way MMORPGs are charged. It's daylight robbery :)

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 05/07/03 - 1:40 AM Permalink

I'd be more willing to part with my cash for a mmorpg if the Australian government took us out of the dark ages and was a bit more comparable with the rest of the world on the priceing and quality of our cable network.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 05/07/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

Very interesting article you linked there Sho-nuff. It's incredible that most Hong Kong retailers sell their X Boxes pre-modded! I've read about the modded X Boxes/installing bigger HD/copying games straight from disc to HD (with ease) somewhere before. Microsoft must be a tad worried.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 05/07/03 - 7:11 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

I don't know about an igloo, but due to their government policy most tiny italian villages have mighty cable going to evey home and discounts on computers.
Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 06/07/03 - 1:35 PM Permalink

Don't I know it, I was in a tiny Italian village called Orvieto in 2000 and even though the town had no major ammenities (bottled instead of running water) you could jump on cable ready computers at nearly every hostel, taverna etc.