Skip to main content

Unreal Tutorial DVD

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I'm going to offer to burn and send you a unreal engine tutorial DVD. If you want one, you have to tell me what area you're concentrating on. This is from the UT2k4 bonus disc, so if you already have it, you don't need it again. And please, only request this if you're seriously planning to work on the mod.

01_Level Design I
02_Level Design II
03_Machinima
04_Unreal Scripting
05_Mutators
06_Weapons
07_Maya Fundamentals
08_Static Meshes
09_Character Development
10_Vehicle Design
11_UI User Interface

Private message me your name (not nick), address, and preference list - with what you're expecting to do for the mod at the top of the list. All the tutorials above total about 8 gigabytes, so I will only be able to fit half of it for you.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 10/02/05 - 7:59 AM Permalink

I picked it up today. It?s only $50 and it looks well worth the money. The DVD looks awesome, (and the game? whoa ? what took me so long?!) but I'm worried about all the VTM's being done in Maya (I'm a max user). Is it worth learning and using Maya PLE for this mod, or will I be okay sticking with Max?

I think I can easily translate what the VTM?s talk about into Max, but I?m just wondering if Maya PLE would be a better tool for the job? Or does it really not matter? Exporting from Max looks pretty straightforward.

Though if Maya PLE can do the job, it might be a good excuse to learn Maya...

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 10/02/05 - 8:41 AM Permalink

there is the Actor X max exporter for unreal as well, it's easy to use once you know how. it really wont matter if you use maya or max in the end.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sun, 10/04/05 - 11:59 PM Permalink

Hey Souri,

I picked up the UT2004 Dvd with All the tuts agers ago. Checked out the tut on exporting for maya to UT2004 and glade I did. In the tut they bring in a Biped which has the Bones names which important for if your using a characters animations from ths games.. anyways! Its not on my DVD [:X]

I was woundering if it was on yours or if you have seen a picture anywhere showing the bone names etc.

Thanks

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 11/04/05 - 12:55 AM Permalink

if you're talking about the tute i think your talking about, they say the rig can be downloaded from 3dbuzz.com, otherwise, the bone names they use are the same as the max biped ones used in the game 'Bip01' for example. problem is Maya dosnt support spaces so they had to do some messing around with 'bone_weapon' in UE. for our models though, we can set whatever naming conventions we want if we intend to make a complete set of custom animations and change how weapons are referenced. also bone names only need ot be identicle to other skeletons if you intend to share animations. if each character in our game had unique animations then we can name their skeletons whatever the hell we want.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Mon, 11/04/05 - 3:39 AM Permalink

Thanks LiveWire, but I was asking so that I could use animations already in the game so I could test out my charater. This way I don't have to do animations if its not needed and I think people who will post there characters in UT2004 for the comp will not want to do 20 < animations just to see there character in game. With that said I had a look at the 3DBuzz site and its huge, any idea where that biped file is?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 11/04/05 - 5:42 AM Permalink

no idea, i use max. try searching the forums, chances are someone else has also asked. but if you cant find it just create your own rig with the same bone names. if you include extras it wont matter - they simply wont be effect by the animations (at least i'm pretty sure it wion't matter)

i'm not sure what will happen if you bring in a character you've created only say two animations for (just to pose it and take a screen shot for the comp) might work, might not. otherwise you could pose it and bring it in as a static mesh rather than a playable character.

Posted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I'm going to offer to burn and send you a unreal engine tutorial DVD. If you want one, you have to tell me what area you're concentrating on. This is from the UT2k4 bonus disc, so if you already have it, you don't need it again. And please, only request this if you're seriously planning to work on the mod.

01_Level Design I
02_Level Design II
03_Machinima
04_Unreal Scripting
05_Mutators
06_Weapons
07_Maya Fundamentals
08_Static Meshes
09_Character Development
10_Vehicle Design
11_UI User Interface

Private message me your name (not nick), address, and preference list - with what you're expecting to do for the mod at the top of the list. All the tutorials above total about 8 gigabytes, so I will only be able to fit half of it for you.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 10/02/05 - 7:59 AM Permalink

I picked it up today. It?s only $50 and it looks well worth the money. The DVD looks awesome, (and the game? whoa ? what took me so long?!) but I'm worried about all the VTM's being done in Maya (I'm a max user). Is it worth learning and using Maya PLE for this mod, or will I be okay sticking with Max?

I think I can easily translate what the VTM?s talk about into Max, but I?m just wondering if Maya PLE would be a better tool for the job? Or does it really not matter? Exporting from Max looks pretty straightforward.

Though if Maya PLE can do the job, it might be a good excuse to learn Maya...

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 10/02/05 - 8:41 AM Permalink

there is the Actor X max exporter for unreal as well, it's easy to use once you know how. it really wont matter if you use maya or max in the end.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sun, 10/04/05 - 11:59 PM Permalink

Hey Souri,

I picked up the UT2004 Dvd with All the tuts agers ago. Checked out the tut on exporting for maya to UT2004 and glade I did. In the tut they bring in a Biped which has the Bones names which important for if your using a characters animations from ths games.. anyways! Its not on my DVD [:X]

I was woundering if it was on yours or if you have seen a picture anywhere showing the bone names etc.

Thanks

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 11/04/05 - 12:55 AM Permalink

if you're talking about the tute i think your talking about, they say the rig can be downloaded from 3dbuzz.com, otherwise, the bone names they use are the same as the max biped ones used in the game 'Bip01' for example. problem is Maya dosnt support spaces so they had to do some messing around with 'bone_weapon' in UE. for our models though, we can set whatever naming conventions we want if we intend to make a complete set of custom animations and change how weapons are referenced. also bone names only need ot be identicle to other skeletons if you intend to share animations. if each character in our game had unique animations then we can name their skeletons whatever the hell we want.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Mon, 11/04/05 - 3:39 AM Permalink

Thanks LiveWire, but I was asking so that I could use animations already in the game so I could test out my charater. This way I don't have to do animations if its not needed and I think people who will post there characters in UT2004 for the comp will not want to do 20 < animations just to see there character in game. With that said I had a look at the 3DBuzz site and its huge, any idea where that biped file is?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 11/04/05 - 5:42 AM Permalink

no idea, i use max. try searching the forums, chances are someone else has also asked. but if you cant find it just create your own rig with the same bone names. if you include extras it wont matter - they simply wont be effect by the animations (at least i'm pretty sure it wion't matter)

i'm not sure what will happen if you bring in a character you've created only say two animations for (just to pose it and take a screen shot for the comp) might work, might not. otherwise you could pose it and bring it in as a static mesh rather than a playable character.