Skip to main content

Rising Sun concept

Submitted by Ruthborn on

Hey, first off I'd like to introduce myself as a gamer trying to get into the industry. Anyway I was directed to this site by some presenters during a gaming convention in Brisbane (Gencon) and so here I am displaying some ideas of mine.

Alrighty:

The game Rising Sun's concept is basically about a competion martial artist attempting to enjoy a holiday in Japan after being defeated in a major tournament, however he/she (the character can be chosen amongst a series of avatars by the player) is instead caught in a desperate country-wide event held by an 'out-of-luck' event organizer. The player must travel the country of Japan, combating competition entrants and other opponants as they venture to shrines, the only safe haven where they wont be attacked. The aim of the competition for the player is to visit, and gain proof of visiting, each shrine in Japan without being defeated by any assailant. It's kind of Pokemon (in that there are 'trainers' competing against each other), meets Seven Samurai (a group of people against an entire army), meets Journey to the West (a long journey to complete a task with a series of adventures during the journey).

The game is intended to serve as a kind of tourism gimmick. Displaying many aspects of Japanese way-of-life, history, mystism and other such things such as popular sites and themes. The intention is such that the game can turn into a game series (Rising Sun featuring Japan, another game featuring Austalia, another game featuring Britain, etc) but for now lets just focus on Rising Sun and Japan.

The combat system would be similar to those seen in Kingdom Hearts and Jade Empire in that it is platform based with a hint of RPG. The main character can, through certain relationship aspects, gain 'party members' who can assist in defending or fighting against the assailants. Of course these party members will also offer side-quests and represent various Japanese stereotype characters (eg,Samurai Girl, ninja, otaku, etc) and side-stories.

I may post some concept sketches of characters and items up later as well as a little story that covers the protagonist's final 'side-battle' against the combatant that had defeated them at the beginning of the game. Any thoughts?

Posted by Ruthborn on

Hey, first off I'd like to introduce myself as a gamer trying to get into the industry. Anyway I was directed to this site by some presenters during a gaming convention in Brisbane (Gencon) and so here I am displaying some ideas of mine.

Alrighty:

The game Rising Sun's concept is basically about a competion martial artist attempting to enjoy a holiday in Japan after being defeated in a major tournament, however he/she (the character can be chosen amongst a series of avatars by the player) is instead caught in a desperate country-wide event held by an 'out-of-luck' event organizer. The player must travel the country of Japan, combating competition entrants and other opponants as they venture to shrines, the only safe haven where they wont be attacked. The aim of the competition for the player is to visit, and gain proof of visiting, each shrine in Japan without being defeated by any assailant. It's kind of Pokemon (in that there are 'trainers' competing against each other), meets Seven Samurai (a group of people against an entire army), meets Journey to the West (a long journey to complete a task with a series of adventures during the journey).

The game is intended to serve as a kind of tourism gimmick. Displaying many aspects of Japanese way-of-life, history, mystism and other such things such as popular sites and themes. The intention is such that the game can turn into a game series (Rising Sun featuring Japan, another game featuring Austalia, another game featuring Britain, etc) but for now lets just focus on Rising Sun and Japan.

The combat system would be similar to those seen in Kingdom Hearts and Jade Empire in that it is platform based with a hint of RPG. The main character can, through certain relationship aspects, gain 'party members' who can assist in defending or fighting against the assailants. Of course these party members will also offer side-quests and represent various Japanese stereotype characters (eg,Samurai Girl, ninja, otaku, etc) and side-stories.

I may post some concept sketches of characters and items up later as well as a little story that covers the protagonist's final 'side-battle' against the combatant that had defeated them at the beginning of the game. Any thoughts?