Skip to main content

Okay, lets get this place going again

Submitted by Kezza on
Forum

I'm a bit upset that this forum has quieted down entirely. Especially as it was partly through here that I actually got into the industry. So let's see who's left, what they do... where they work and what they're currently wasting time on. As per standard I'll go first

Currently a programmer at Pandemic in Brisbane. I need to get back into my side hobbies of modding and drawing but crunch periods, real life and some games have really been hampering my progress there.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 05/06/08 - 2:19 PM Permalink

i'll go second :)

ima 3d noob sent from the future. i like roller skating and long walks by the beach. Just got 3dsmax 2009 at work, wooOOTT! happy dayz.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 05/06/08 - 3:29 PM Permalink

This place just won't let me go O_O

I've lost count on how many people who used to be regulars here that disappeared right after they get their first job in the industry. There've been a fair few. And yeh, I do want to get the forum and activities a lot more active here again. I definitely miss seeing the creative work you lot were doing in the forum, and I miss drawing/painting as well.

The new site provides some better ways to accommodate quick activities etc rather than make specific forum sections for it, so I'll be looking into that once most of the design niggles and fixes are complete.

Submitted by bozza on Thu, 05/06/08 - 9:01 PM Permalink

I guess ill post here too! Ive lurked for about a year now, mostly just seeing other peoples work but the past few months just looking up the latest jobs as im currently looking at getting into the industry. I think ill start putting up my work to get the ball rolling, im constantly trying to improve my portfolio so ill post up some work to get some feedback on hopefully. :)

Submitted by The Flying Monk on Thu, 05/06/08 - 10:09 PM Permalink

The forums are working again, also I'm still here.
Nice new look Souri.

And I swear that I'll get my entry for the modelling comp #9 completed. Even if it is a few years late.

Submitted by threedninja on Fri, 06/06/08 - 10:45 AM Permalink

My turn,

1st year game design / animation student at the Griffith QCA, all assignments nearly finished for the semester(I'll post some of this semesters work soon).

Just about to start relaxing over the holidays and catch up on gaming and start a few personal projects.

Also looking forward to the start of modeling comp #10 ;)

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 06/06/08 - 6:05 PM Permalink

You leaving here would count for not one but two signs of the apocalypse :)

Well... I can't speak for other people but I've been trapped in rolling crunch periods for a while now. A lot of people thought I had died or something.

I'm planning to get some side projects going in the near future, assuming my work releases the death grip it's got on me right now. The most likely direction I'm headed is a second attempt at the "Citadel" mod prototypes that I made while doing prep work on the now dead "Sumea the mod".

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 06/06/08 - 6:07 PM Permalink

I know three people involved in that course, one student, one current lecturer and one who's been hired and will start lecturing soon.

All the best, and don't give up your own projects no matter what. They're the things that really get you places :)

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 07/06/08 - 1:18 PM Permalink

New forum and i got a new avatar to go with it :)
I hope some regular posters get active here again. I'll endeavour to get a bit more regular with posting too.

Submitted by Soul on Wed, 11/06/08 - 12:44 PM Permalink

Hey hey - I'm still lurking from time to time.

I'm back at University again, finishing off my Computer Science degree here in Adelaide, with the hope of one day finding a company foolish enough to hire me. My interest lies mostly with game design theory, but I'm fairly handy with the ol' coding when required :)

'Tis a bit sad the forums are so quiet these days - I constantly recommend the site to fellow students to no avail. It was great meeting up with many of the regulars for FreePlay way back in.... ahh.... 2003? 2004? I still have my funky blue sumea t-shirt to boot!

Submitted by Tejay on Wed, 11/06/08 - 11:57 PM Permalink

yeah i'm still here, trolling forums but being to lazy to post.

For all those who have yet to know me...which is most of you... I am a female second year student at aie in canberra studying my games diploma. I've been doing 3d since last year, but i've been doing drawing for a good 5-6 years... i dunno i lost count XD

Submitted by souri on Thu, 12/06/08 - 4:22 AM Permalink

Nice to see you still alive and kickin :) I wonder what's happened to the rest of the Adelaide contingent that I met during Free Play 2004 :)

Submitted by compactjerry on Thu, 12/06/08 - 11:19 AM Permalink

Hey everyone

Games Design graduate from RMIT in Melbourne. Currently working contractually for Playscape Games on an mobile game. Will start an internship at Infinite Interactive in August as part of the Good Game 'Game' competition.

Submitted by Neffy (not verified) on Fri, 13/06/08 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Hellozor
This is my 2nd year at the tribe of red, plugging along just finished a 2week holiday in which I played Age of Conan its pretty cool I'm diggin it for now combos are sweet. Current games finished, waiting on the next one so just chillin hence the trolling.

quick activities would be awesome and id def have full intentions of doing them, possibly even starting. However I found I've developed a huge dislike for finishing any personal work at home, especially 3D work it sickens me and i end up watching a movie instead. *sigh*

Submitted by Soul on Mon, 16/06/08 - 11:08 AM Permalink

Letsee, I know where a couple of people are...

Maitrek is graduating with a degree in Applied Mathematics this year, and mostly rambles on about groundwater hydrology these days. Tykeil works at an ISP help desk, but still does art/code/design in his spare time, and Daemin (whom I don't think you met) works in some small firm, probably producing death rays or something....

I will attempt to get on their backs to post here with more detail.

Submitted by Yug on Wed, 18/06/08 - 12:43 AM Permalink

Whether Souri likes it or not, I'm always going to be hanging around here for a long time to come.

I run the website www.AustralianGamer.com, and tend to be heavily involved in promoting the local developers at expos and conferences, as well as online of course.

And I throw bitchin parties :)

Submitted by dark_virus_2007 on Wed, 18/06/08 - 4:28 AM Permalink

I occasionally still take a browse around the sumea site, so i am still hanging around sometimes. Maybe not as much on the forums anymore but still in terms of around the site.

I have been an original at sumea. I joined in 2006 during the times of ye olde sumea site. A that time I was studying my Games Diploma at Vic Uni, I have graduated that and now I am at Swinburne doing a BA Degree in Games and Interactivity.

Submitted by Horror on Thu, 19/06/08 - 11:41 PM Permalink

Got a job as an LD, but I still check in here every few days or so. I like seeing the work that other Aussies are producing, but it's just so quite at the moment (the Exhibition sections can go for weeks without a submission). So show off your work people - I know there is a lot of local talent here.

Submitted by StephenWade on Sat, 12/07/08 - 2:31 PM Permalink

Okay I meant to reply to this ages ago, I'm a bit slow.

Yup - I think I've been around this website for ages, since maybe 2003, I can't really remember. Anyway, as Soul pointed out and as per my profile I just finished my degree (Bachelor of Maths and Computer Science) and about to do a year of research/study to get honours in applied mathematics.

As far as games industry aspirations go I'm still needing to develop my own skills and knowledge further regarding programming and hopefully I can start contributing in some fashion to independent projects.

Posted by Kezza on
Forum

I'm a bit upset that this forum has quieted down entirely. Especially as it was partly through here that I actually got into the industry. So let's see who's left, what they do... where they work and what they're currently wasting time on. As per standard I'll go first

Currently a programmer at Pandemic in Brisbane. I need to get back into my side hobbies of modding and drawing but crunch periods, real life and some games have really been hampering my progress there.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Thu, 05/06/08 - 2:19 PM Permalink

i'll go second :)

ima 3d noob sent from the future. i like roller skating and long walks by the beach. Just got 3dsmax 2009 at work, wooOOTT! happy dayz.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 05/06/08 - 3:29 PM Permalink

This place just won't let me go O_O

I've lost count on how many people who used to be regulars here that disappeared right after they get their first job in the industry. There've been a fair few. And yeh, I do want to get the forum and activities a lot more active here again. I definitely miss seeing the creative work you lot were doing in the forum, and I miss drawing/painting as well.

The new site provides some better ways to accommodate quick activities etc rather than make specific forum sections for it, so I'll be looking into that once most of the design niggles and fixes are complete.

Submitted by bozza on Thu, 05/06/08 - 9:01 PM Permalink

I guess ill post here too! Ive lurked for about a year now, mostly just seeing other peoples work but the past few months just looking up the latest jobs as im currently looking at getting into the industry. I think ill start putting up my work to get the ball rolling, im constantly trying to improve my portfolio so ill post up some work to get some feedback on hopefully. :)

Submitted by The Flying Monk on Thu, 05/06/08 - 10:09 PM Permalink

The forums are working again, also I'm still here.
Nice new look Souri.

And I swear that I'll get my entry for the modelling comp #9 completed. Even if it is a few years late.

Submitted by threedninja on Fri, 06/06/08 - 10:45 AM Permalink

My turn,

1st year game design / animation student at the Griffith QCA, all assignments nearly finished for the semester(I'll post some of this semesters work soon).

Just about to start relaxing over the holidays and catch up on gaming and start a few personal projects.

Also looking forward to the start of modeling comp #10 ;)

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 06/06/08 - 6:05 PM Permalink

You leaving here would count for not one but two signs of the apocalypse :)

Well... I can't speak for other people but I've been trapped in rolling crunch periods for a while now. A lot of people thought I had died or something.

I'm planning to get some side projects going in the near future, assuming my work releases the death grip it's got on me right now. The most likely direction I'm headed is a second attempt at the "Citadel" mod prototypes that I made while doing prep work on the now dead "Sumea the mod".

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 06/06/08 - 6:07 PM Permalink

I know three people involved in that course, one student, one current lecturer and one who's been hired and will start lecturing soon.

All the best, and don't give up your own projects no matter what. They're the things that really get you places :)

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 07/06/08 - 1:18 PM Permalink

New forum and i got a new avatar to go with it :)
I hope some regular posters get active here again. I'll endeavour to get a bit more regular with posting too.

Submitted by Soul on Wed, 11/06/08 - 12:44 PM Permalink

Hey hey - I'm still lurking from time to time.

I'm back at University again, finishing off my Computer Science degree here in Adelaide, with the hope of one day finding a company foolish enough to hire me. My interest lies mostly with game design theory, but I'm fairly handy with the ol' coding when required :)

'Tis a bit sad the forums are so quiet these days - I constantly recommend the site to fellow students to no avail. It was great meeting up with many of the regulars for FreePlay way back in.... ahh.... 2003? 2004? I still have my funky blue sumea t-shirt to boot!

Submitted by Tejay on Wed, 11/06/08 - 11:57 PM Permalink

yeah i'm still here, trolling forums but being to lazy to post.

For all those who have yet to know me...which is most of you... I am a female second year student at aie in canberra studying my games diploma. I've been doing 3d since last year, but i've been doing drawing for a good 5-6 years... i dunno i lost count XD

Submitted by souri on Thu, 12/06/08 - 4:22 AM Permalink

Nice to see you still alive and kickin :) I wonder what's happened to the rest of the Adelaide contingent that I met during Free Play 2004 :)

Submitted by compactjerry on Thu, 12/06/08 - 11:19 AM Permalink

Hey everyone

Games Design graduate from RMIT in Melbourne. Currently working contractually for Playscape Games on an mobile game. Will start an internship at Infinite Interactive in August as part of the Good Game 'Game' competition.

Submitted by Neffy (not verified) on Fri, 13/06/08 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Hellozor
This is my 2nd year at the tribe of red, plugging along just finished a 2week holiday in which I played Age of Conan its pretty cool I'm diggin it for now combos are sweet. Current games finished, waiting on the next one so just chillin hence the trolling.

quick activities would be awesome and id def have full intentions of doing them, possibly even starting. However I found I've developed a huge dislike for finishing any personal work at home, especially 3D work it sickens me and i end up watching a movie instead. *sigh*

Submitted by Soul on Mon, 16/06/08 - 11:08 AM Permalink

Letsee, I know where a couple of people are...

Maitrek is graduating with a degree in Applied Mathematics this year, and mostly rambles on about groundwater hydrology these days. Tykeil works at an ISP help desk, but still does art/code/design in his spare time, and Daemin (whom I don't think you met) works in some small firm, probably producing death rays or something....

I will attempt to get on their backs to post here with more detail.

Submitted by Yug on Wed, 18/06/08 - 12:43 AM Permalink

Whether Souri likes it or not, I'm always going to be hanging around here for a long time to come.

I run the website www.AustralianGamer.com, and tend to be heavily involved in promoting the local developers at expos and conferences, as well as online of course.

And I throw bitchin parties :)

Submitted by dark_virus_2007 on Wed, 18/06/08 - 4:28 AM Permalink

I occasionally still take a browse around the sumea site, so i am still hanging around sometimes. Maybe not as much on the forums anymore but still in terms of around the site.

I have been an original at sumea. I joined in 2006 during the times of ye olde sumea site. A that time I was studying my Games Diploma at Vic Uni, I have graduated that and now I am at Swinburne doing a BA Degree in Games and Interactivity.

Submitted by Horror on Thu, 19/06/08 - 11:41 PM Permalink

Got a job as an LD, but I still check in here every few days or so. I like seeing the work that other Aussies are producing, but it's just so quite at the moment (the Exhibition sections can go for weeks without a submission). So show off your work people - I know there is a lot of local talent here.

Submitted by StephenWade on Sat, 12/07/08 - 2:31 PM Permalink

Okay I meant to reply to this ages ago, I'm a bit slow.

Yup - I think I've been around this website for ages, since maybe 2003, I can't really remember. Anyway, as Soul pointed out and as per my profile I just finished my degree (Bachelor of Maths and Computer Science) and about to do a year of research/study to get honours in applied mathematics.

As far as games industry aspirations go I'm still needing to develop my own skills and knowledge further regarding programming and hopefully I can start contributing in some fashion to independent projects.