Skip to main content

Nintendo DS

Submitted by Kane on
Forum

Looks like the DS is doing bloody well in the US already...

[url]http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=286065[/url]

Go the big N! [:D]

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 03/12/04 - 12:15 AM Permalink

yeah, Im hopefully going to get one when they come out over here

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 03/12/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

yeh, im pondering getting one as well but Im unsure how much id use it...

I just wanna try the new Yoshi game...the ideas implemented in that sound sweeet... [:D]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Sat, 11/12/04 - 1:03 AM Permalink

Any idea when this thing is coming out over here? I'll be heading to the US for Xmas and have one waiting for me. Just wondering when I'll be able to use the WiFi stuff with others here in Australia?

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 11/12/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

I think they're looking at march/april next year for europe/australian release. I'm thinking of importing one from the states, although i'm a little worried that with the massive ramp-up in production, quality control might suffer and i'd end up with a dodgy screen or something. Plus, most of the games i'm looking forward to aren't available (in english) until february or later next year anyway, so i might as well wait a little longer at least.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Cam on Sat, 11/12/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

march is good timing.. i'll be turning 21 yay - and try to con the guys at uni into putting in for it!!
wish me luck ;)

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 12/12/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

I've been lucky enough to have a play around on a DS (I have connections...;)) and it's quite a neat little package. I had a quick spin on the updated Super Mario 64 Yoshi version but found the controls very fiddly and unintuitive for that type of game, nothing beats an analogue stick for 3D platformers. Not much else to add cause I was really tired at the time and couldn't have been arsed playing for long.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 01/01/05 - 12:42 AM Permalink

I was looking around on the Burn website, and I found one you can grab from the states.

http://burn.com.au/products/info.php?lookup_code=L38784

Now I wish I bought that instead of the SP for xmas [:P] But I think it would be best to wait a few months just incase they realease a new and better version like they did with the GBA

Submitted by Jason on Tue, 04/01/05 - 9:57 PM Permalink

I just got back from Hong Kong yesterday and got a DS from Toys R Us over there. Got it for 1399 HK dollars, which is about 233 AUD!!

At the moment I have mario 64 DS (jap version) Feel the Magic (US version) and another game called "Sprung" (US Version). I was impusively buying in HK. Haven't had a chance to play sprung or feel the magic. The only reason I got them was because they look so damned weird.

Mario 64 is pretty good so far though I'm a little underwhelmed considering it is a game I finished on the N64. What really amazes me is the stylus and turning on the system. Using the stylus to navigate the menus to set the time, date etc is so darn cool.

But yeah, at the moment I wouldn't buy it since there's no great games out. Just wait a while for the next batch of games. Or play GBA games on it :D

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 12/01/05 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Well, I got mine and have to say it's freak'n sweet. I can't wait until more games come out for it though!!! I checked out the Burn site that was linked above... why the hell would anyone pay $400 for it when you can order it from dvdboxoffice.com for $250 AUD? And they have free worldwide shipping! Anyway, it's just pathetic the markup games have over here.

Anyway, I can't wait for more people to get it since the wireless mutliplayer support for the DS should be sweet!!!!

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 13/01/05 - 12:22 AM Permalink

The Australian launch details were announced today.

Release is scheduled for February 24th and its RRP is $199.95.

I'm looking forward to this one myself, not sure If I'll pick one up immediately but I plan to get one eventually. I think the PSP comes out here in late march/april also.

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 13/01/05 - 4:25 AM Permalink

I wonder if EB will change their trade-in set-up for the DS seeing as it has now been listed at $199.

They had it set up so you traded in a GBA and 3 games and got the DS for $100. Now I think they were operating on the assumption that it would be $300 - $400. But if they don't change their trade-in that is a big ripoff!

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 14/01/05 - 12:02 AM Permalink

Trade in GBA and three games?? Damm if they do keep it like that, thats an insne rip off! Not that I'd do it anyway. GBA's are so much fun :D

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 14/01/05 - 9:07 AM Permalink

I think the whole trade in system EB have is ridiculous. What?s the standard trade-in deal they do for a new game? Something like two near new games (that?s $160 to $200 worth) and they?ll sell you a new game for $50? So you?re essentially paying up to $250 for a new game. What a rip off!

Even if you've finished it, old games are great to keep for nostalgia. Years from now you?ll be glad you still have that vintage PS2 (or whatever) console collection! [:P] ? I just wish I kept all of my old Sega games, instead of trading them in when the original game boy came out.

Oh yeah, and to get back to the thread topic ? the DS looks awesome. Though the PSP might do very well just because of the titles Sony can churn out?

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 27/01/05 - 8:17 AM Permalink

I noticed EB is also saying that if you pre-order ytou will get a copy of the Metroid Hunters demo. in every other country this has been included reguardless, and i would think it's the same here. seems like EB is twisting words to make people pre-order. if you pre-order you will be assured a copy of the demo, but they make it sound like you wont get it any other way.

oh, and i saw a kid playing one the other day - much bigger thani thought. but i still want one. wireless handheld gaming... mmmmm...

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 28/01/05 - 1:28 AM Permalink

I've had mine for over a week (Japanese import) and been playing Feel the Magic, and I think it's fantastic :D Such a cool device with so many possibilities.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Fri, 11/02/05 - 6:22 AM Permalink

So, we know how much the system is over here, but does anyone know what price the games will be released at? Hopefully they're comprable to the US prices ($30 - $40 USD = $50+) here and not the traditional $100 bucks games tend to be here.

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 11/02/05 - 8:21 AM Permalink

Most of them at EB were at around 60-70 bucks

Posted by Kane on
Forum

Looks like the DS is doing bloody well in the US already...

[url]http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=286065[/url]

Go the big N! [:D]

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 03/12/04 - 12:15 AM Permalink

yeah, Im hopefully going to get one when they come out over here

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 03/12/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

yeh, im pondering getting one as well but Im unsure how much id use it...

I just wanna try the new Yoshi game...the ideas implemented in that sound sweeet... [:D]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Sat, 11/12/04 - 1:03 AM Permalink

Any idea when this thing is coming out over here? I'll be heading to the US for Xmas and have one waiting for me. Just wondering when I'll be able to use the WiFi stuff with others here in Australia?

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 11/12/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

I think they're looking at march/april next year for europe/australian release. I'm thinking of importing one from the states, although i'm a little worried that with the massive ramp-up in production, quality control might suffer and i'd end up with a dodgy screen or something. Plus, most of the games i'm looking forward to aren't available (in english) until february or later next year anyway, so i might as well wait a little longer at least.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Cam on Sat, 11/12/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

march is good timing.. i'll be turning 21 yay - and try to con the guys at uni into putting in for it!!
wish me luck ;)

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 12/12/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

I've been lucky enough to have a play around on a DS (I have connections...;)) and it's quite a neat little package. I had a quick spin on the updated Super Mario 64 Yoshi version but found the controls very fiddly and unintuitive for that type of game, nothing beats an analogue stick for 3D platformers. Not much else to add cause I was really tired at the time and couldn't have been arsed playing for long.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 01/01/05 - 12:42 AM Permalink

I was looking around on the Burn website, and I found one you can grab from the states.

http://burn.com.au/products/info.php?lookup_code=L38784

Now I wish I bought that instead of the SP for xmas [:P] But I think it would be best to wait a few months just incase they realease a new and better version like they did with the GBA

Submitted by Jason on Tue, 04/01/05 - 9:57 PM Permalink

I just got back from Hong Kong yesterday and got a DS from Toys R Us over there. Got it for 1399 HK dollars, which is about 233 AUD!!

At the moment I have mario 64 DS (jap version) Feel the Magic (US version) and another game called "Sprung" (US Version). I was impusively buying in HK. Haven't had a chance to play sprung or feel the magic. The only reason I got them was because they look so damned weird.

Mario 64 is pretty good so far though I'm a little underwhelmed considering it is a game I finished on the N64. What really amazes me is the stylus and turning on the system. Using the stylus to navigate the menus to set the time, date etc is so darn cool.

But yeah, at the moment I wouldn't buy it since there's no great games out. Just wait a while for the next batch of games. Or play GBA games on it :D

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 12/01/05 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Well, I got mine and have to say it's freak'n sweet. I can't wait until more games come out for it though!!! I checked out the Burn site that was linked above... why the hell would anyone pay $400 for it when you can order it from dvdboxoffice.com for $250 AUD? And they have free worldwide shipping! Anyway, it's just pathetic the markup games have over here.

Anyway, I can't wait for more people to get it since the wireless mutliplayer support for the DS should be sweet!!!!

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 13/01/05 - 12:22 AM Permalink

The Australian launch details were announced today.

Release is scheduled for February 24th and its RRP is $199.95.

I'm looking forward to this one myself, not sure If I'll pick one up immediately but I plan to get one eventually. I think the PSP comes out here in late march/april also.

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 13/01/05 - 4:25 AM Permalink

I wonder if EB will change their trade-in set-up for the DS seeing as it has now been listed at $199.

They had it set up so you traded in a GBA and 3 games and got the DS for $100. Now I think they were operating on the assumption that it would be $300 - $400. But if they don't change their trade-in that is a big ripoff!

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 14/01/05 - 12:02 AM Permalink

Trade in GBA and three games?? Damm if they do keep it like that, thats an insne rip off! Not that I'd do it anyway. GBA's are so much fun :D

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 14/01/05 - 9:07 AM Permalink

I think the whole trade in system EB have is ridiculous. What?s the standard trade-in deal they do for a new game? Something like two near new games (that?s $160 to $200 worth) and they?ll sell you a new game for $50? So you?re essentially paying up to $250 for a new game. What a rip off!

Even if you've finished it, old games are great to keep for nostalgia. Years from now you?ll be glad you still have that vintage PS2 (or whatever) console collection! [:P] ? I just wish I kept all of my old Sega games, instead of trading them in when the original game boy came out.

Oh yeah, and to get back to the thread topic ? the DS looks awesome. Though the PSP might do very well just because of the titles Sony can churn out?

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 27/01/05 - 8:17 AM Permalink

I noticed EB is also saying that if you pre-order ytou will get a copy of the Metroid Hunters demo. in every other country this has been included reguardless, and i would think it's the same here. seems like EB is twisting words to make people pre-order. if you pre-order you will be assured a copy of the demo, but they make it sound like you wont get it any other way.

oh, and i saw a kid playing one the other day - much bigger thani thought. but i still want one. wireless handheld gaming... mmmmm...

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 28/01/05 - 1:28 AM Permalink

I've had mine for over a week (Japanese import) and been playing Feel the Magic, and I think it's fantastic :D Such a cool device with so many possibilities.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Fri, 11/02/05 - 6:22 AM Permalink

So, we know how much the system is over here, but does anyone know what price the games will be released at? Hopefully they're comprable to the US prices ($30 - $40 USD = $50+) here and not the traditional $100 bucks games tend to be here.

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 11/02/05 - 8:21 AM Permalink

Most of them at EB were at around 60-70 bucks