Skip to main content

Finally jumped on the DS bandwagon

Submitted by Jacana on
Forum

Ok :) So I finally jumped on the DS bandwagon. With Nintendogs and Animal Crossing coming out soon I decided to do it.

I wanted to see if anyone could verify for me that the DS is region free and that I can buy games from anywere.

If so, can you give me some good links to places to order from!

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 03/09/05 - 7:23 PM Permalink

I can verify that for you in a few weeks. I have an American friend whose sending me meteos and advance wars DS form the USA.. But I do believe there's no reason for it to have regions at all.

As for getting it.. if you don?t have friends in the country E-bay will be my best guess. I know EB-games America wont ship the new NEW games over to any country but there own.

Submitted by Tall Nick on Mon, 05/09/05 - 2:31 AM Permalink

Yes, the DS is region free.
Almost all my DS games are American as I can't be bothered waiting for the AUS release dates.
I'd recommend www.dvdcrave.com a small company based in SA.
I get most of my stuff from them as they use Bpay (comes in handy for someone like me without a credit card) and usually have $5-$10 off the Australian RR price.

Submitted by Jacana on Mon, 05/09/05 - 5:13 PM Permalink

Well if they are regoin free, Caroo, maybe you should look at a place like Amazon for ordering? I don't think Amazon would hold new releases....

*goes to fill up credit card at Amazon*

Submitted by TheBigJ on Mon, 05/09/05 - 8:33 PM Permalink

I believe Amazon doesn't ship games internationally either (only DVDs, CDs and books).

I would recommend looking at online import stores like [url="http://lik-sang.com/"]lik-sang.com[/url].

Submitted by Caroo on Wed, 14/09/05 - 5:27 AM Permalink

well I got my two imported DS games. Both Meteos and Advance wars DS.

Both very fun and very good games. I highly recommend them.

Meaning... that imported games work on any DS. So anyone with doubts can wash them away.

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 14/09/05 - 6:01 PM Permalink

Thanks for the update :)

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 14/09/05 - 6:47 PM Permalink

Damnit, I'm waiting eagerly for Advance Wars DS... it doesn't come out in shops here for another month! Stupid backwards country.

Scott.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 14/09/05 - 7:43 PM Permalink

yes, the DS is region independant, meaning games rom anywhere will work on the system, and accessories too should work though i've heared there may be issues with them, so buy them locally i guess.

so far i've been very dissapointed with the DS - i've bought more GBA games than DS games for it since i bought it. so much possibility, so few games...

i'm hanging out for Kirby and Nintendogs though, and although it dosnt look as though the interface will make much difference to the basic gameplay i'm looking forward to Advance Wars too.

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 14/09/05 - 8:05 PM Permalink

Yeah I've found myself sticking to GBA games as well. I was very disappointed with "Yoshi's Touch'n'Go". It seems like a tech demo to me, not a game. The only DS game I've spent a good amount of time on has been Mr Driller. Feels like the DS is dying in the ass. The only place you can pick one up these days seems to be EB... the larger shops have taken them off the shelves.

I'm getting carried away with Streetfighter II Turbo Revival (GBA) now. Not bad for $30.

Scott.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 15/09/05 - 3:01 AM Permalink

i've been playing The Legend of Zelda (NES classic) - 20 years on and still better than Halo [:)].

also playing Metroid Zero Mission, which has been disscontinued apprently, but i found a copy - long live 2D platformers! Hazzar!

Submitted by Caroo on Thu, 15/09/05 - 4:58 AM Permalink

the DS.. In most worldly regions fell on its ass because it was wayyyyyyyyy to quick to release a product before anything good was made for it. Thanks to the PSP Nintendo got very paranoid

Good games are slowly coming out.. But 6 months after it's release? If it was a console system people would be rioting the streets.

Also.. Have to remember that. Economic wise Australia due to a small population falls flat when getting games. I can't get front mission 4 on the PS2 because it's NTSC only. And I refuse to chip my console.

Meteos is an awesome puzzle game though. Try to get it if you like that kind of stuff.

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 16/09/05 - 6:43 AM Permalink

Just bought myself one with WarioWare Touched, as I've been a nut for WarioWare since it's inception. I'm really hoping there's a Katamari Damacy release for DS as rumoured, as I've heard so much about this damn game, but have no intention of chipping my PS2.

Played a demo of Nintendogs the other day. I'm impressed, and may be strayed to grab a copy.

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 17/09/05 - 3:30 AM Permalink

I got mine for Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. Those two games are going to rule my DS.

For entertainment in the mean time I did pick up Sprung and Another Code. I didn't mind either of them. Sprung is just a dating sim and Another Code is a nice little puzzle game. The puzzles in Another Code are good and utilise the features of the DS very well.

Another game that I think looks interesting is Another Blue (or something like that). An RPG were you are stuck on an island, and you get to do stuff like cook! I loved some of the cooking in mmo's and hope the system will be similar.

Katamari Damacy would be really fun to play on the DS - I hope they do bring that out. I mean a game were you collect things in a big ball of garbage. What more fun from gameplay do you need ;)

Posted by Jacana on
Forum

Ok :) So I finally jumped on the DS bandwagon. With Nintendogs and Animal Crossing coming out soon I decided to do it.

I wanted to see if anyone could verify for me that the DS is region free and that I can buy games from anywere.

If so, can you give me some good links to places to order from!

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 03/09/05 - 7:23 PM Permalink

I can verify that for you in a few weeks. I have an American friend whose sending me meteos and advance wars DS form the USA.. But I do believe there's no reason for it to have regions at all.

As for getting it.. if you don?t have friends in the country E-bay will be my best guess. I know EB-games America wont ship the new NEW games over to any country but there own.

Submitted by Tall Nick on Mon, 05/09/05 - 2:31 AM Permalink

Yes, the DS is region free.
Almost all my DS games are American as I can't be bothered waiting for the AUS release dates.
I'd recommend www.dvdcrave.com a small company based in SA.
I get most of my stuff from them as they use Bpay (comes in handy for someone like me without a credit card) and usually have $5-$10 off the Australian RR price.

Submitted by Jacana on Mon, 05/09/05 - 5:13 PM Permalink

Well if they are regoin free, Caroo, maybe you should look at a place like Amazon for ordering? I don't think Amazon would hold new releases....

*goes to fill up credit card at Amazon*

Submitted by TheBigJ on Mon, 05/09/05 - 8:33 PM Permalink

I believe Amazon doesn't ship games internationally either (only DVDs, CDs and books).

I would recommend looking at online import stores like [url="http://lik-sang.com/"]lik-sang.com[/url].

Submitted by Caroo on Wed, 14/09/05 - 5:27 AM Permalink

well I got my two imported DS games. Both Meteos and Advance wars DS.

Both very fun and very good games. I highly recommend them.

Meaning... that imported games work on any DS. So anyone with doubts can wash them away.

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 14/09/05 - 6:01 PM Permalink

Thanks for the update :)

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 14/09/05 - 6:47 PM Permalink

Damnit, I'm waiting eagerly for Advance Wars DS... it doesn't come out in shops here for another month! Stupid backwards country.

Scott.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 14/09/05 - 7:43 PM Permalink

yes, the DS is region independant, meaning games rom anywhere will work on the system, and accessories too should work though i've heared there may be issues with them, so buy them locally i guess.

so far i've been very dissapointed with the DS - i've bought more GBA games than DS games for it since i bought it. so much possibility, so few games...

i'm hanging out for Kirby and Nintendogs though, and although it dosnt look as though the interface will make much difference to the basic gameplay i'm looking forward to Advance Wars too.

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 14/09/05 - 8:05 PM Permalink

Yeah I've found myself sticking to GBA games as well. I was very disappointed with "Yoshi's Touch'n'Go". It seems like a tech demo to me, not a game. The only DS game I've spent a good amount of time on has been Mr Driller. Feels like the DS is dying in the ass. The only place you can pick one up these days seems to be EB... the larger shops have taken them off the shelves.

I'm getting carried away with Streetfighter II Turbo Revival (GBA) now. Not bad for $30.

Scott.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 15/09/05 - 3:01 AM Permalink

i've been playing The Legend of Zelda (NES classic) - 20 years on and still better than Halo [:)].

also playing Metroid Zero Mission, which has been disscontinued apprently, but i found a copy - long live 2D platformers! Hazzar!

Submitted by Caroo on Thu, 15/09/05 - 4:58 AM Permalink

the DS.. In most worldly regions fell on its ass because it was wayyyyyyyyy to quick to release a product before anything good was made for it. Thanks to the PSP Nintendo got very paranoid

Good games are slowly coming out.. But 6 months after it's release? If it was a console system people would be rioting the streets.

Also.. Have to remember that. Economic wise Australia due to a small population falls flat when getting games. I can't get front mission 4 on the PS2 because it's NTSC only. And I refuse to chip my console.

Meteos is an awesome puzzle game though. Try to get it if you like that kind of stuff.

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 16/09/05 - 6:43 AM Permalink

Just bought myself one with WarioWare Touched, as I've been a nut for WarioWare since it's inception. I'm really hoping there's a Katamari Damacy release for DS as rumoured, as I've heard so much about this damn game, but have no intention of chipping my PS2.

Played a demo of Nintendogs the other day. I'm impressed, and may be strayed to grab a copy.

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 17/09/05 - 3:30 AM Permalink

I got mine for Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. Those two games are going to rule my DS.

For entertainment in the mean time I did pick up Sprung and Another Code. I didn't mind either of them. Sprung is just a dating sim and Another Code is a nice little puzzle game. The puzzles in Another Code are good and utilise the features of the DS very well.

Another game that I think looks interesting is Another Blue (or something like that). An RPG were you are stuck on an island, and you get to do stuff like cook! I loved some of the cooking in mmo's and hope the system will be similar.

Katamari Damacy would be really fun to play on the DS - I hope they do bring that out. I mean a game were you collect things in a big ball of garbage. What more fun from gameplay do you need ;)