Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #9 - Ponkavitch

Submitted by Ponkavitch on

I?m finally going to enter one of these. Mainly just to keep my motivation up.

I?m going to do something that I have been thinking about for a while now and that is a Bipedal Centaur. Think a minotaur but based on a horse instead of a cow.

-Ponkavitch

Submitted by shika on Tue, 10/07/07 - 7:11 AM Permalink

Cant have animal features below the neck unfortunately :(

Something that jumps out at me - the horse head perched on top of a human neck looks odd, I'd imagine he'd need some pretty powerful neck and back muscles to hold up the added weight, no?

Submitted by souri on Tue, 10/07/07 - 7:21 AM Permalink

You can choose to have an animal head or animal features on the head of your character if you like, but other parts must be human looking. So no hooves are double jointed limbs, sorry. We're trying to keep this strictly a humanoid god contest. If your entry is allowed then people will be questioning why they can't have animal limbs too.. Souri2007-07-09 21:22:26

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Thu, 12/07/07 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Right so after a lot of work on the section of the legs that I had to remove I have made some new feet for him.

On to the hands next.

-Ponkavitch

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Tue, 17/07/07 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Thanks Killa,

The head is based on photo reference but I?ll have another look at it though it probably won?t matter as I will be adding a helmet that will obscure a lot of the details.

I based the model on a template for a muscular man but I guess it was for a ?real world? muscle man not a ?comic book? muscle man. So I have widened the shoulders and beefed up the muscles.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/ponkavitch/muscledback.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/ponkavitch/muscledfront.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/ponkavitch/muscledleft.jpg

his legs are in a funny pose because I moved the legs into the right position for the extended legs before I had to modify them. But it is a pretty good position since it is about half way though each joints movement range.   The arms would be in a similar pose but I was using a template for the musculature which is in that pose.

Now I need to work on clothing and armouring him. I was thinking I was going to equip him in standard Greek hoplite armour since (in case you haven?t figured it out yet) this is the ?Trojan Horse? the won the battle of Troy. But that may be a bit boring.

I was also thinking of giving him some ?stilts? to make his feet look more horse like if that isn?t breaking the rules.

Here is a little something i wipped up for the B5 fans.
Look it's a Cenatauri!

-Ponkavitch
Ponkavitch2007-07-16 17:30:47

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Mon, 23/07/07 - 7:00 AM Permalink

OK. So I have finished the breastplate, greaves and helmet. Next up is the ?Pteruges?(skirt thing). I?m not really sure how I want to do that. I think I will just make a skirt and ass the armoured strips on to that.

Perspective.

Front (remember the legs are bent so they will look rather short.)

Left

-Ponkavitch

I?m finally going to enter one of these. Mainly just to keep my motivation up.

I?m going to do something that I have been thinking about for a while now and that is a Bipedal Centaur. Think a minotaur but based on a horse instead of a cow.

-Ponkavitch

Submitted by shika on Tue, 10/07/07 - 7:11 AM Permalink

Cant have animal features below the neck unfortunately :(

Something that jumps out at me - the horse head perched on top of a human neck looks odd, I'd imagine he'd need some pretty powerful neck and back muscles to hold up the added weight, no?

Submitted by souri on Tue, 10/07/07 - 7:21 AM Permalink

You can choose to have an animal head or animal features on the head of your character if you like, but other parts must be human looking. So no hooves are double jointed limbs, sorry. We're trying to keep this strictly a humanoid god contest. If your entry is allowed then people will be questioning why they can't have animal limbs too.. Souri2007-07-09 21:22:26

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Thu, 12/07/07 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Right so after a lot of work on the section of the legs that I had to remove I have made some new feet for him.

On to the hands next.

-Ponkavitch

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Tue, 17/07/07 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Thanks Killa,

The head is based on photo reference but I?ll have another look at it though it probably won?t matter as I will be adding a helmet that will obscure a lot of the details.

I based the model on a template for a muscular man but I guess it was for a ?real world? muscle man not a ?comic book? muscle man. So I have widened the shoulders and beefed up the muscles.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/ponkavitch/muscledback.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/ponkavitch/muscledfront.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/ponkavitch/muscledleft.jpg

his legs are in a funny pose because I moved the legs into the right position for the extended legs before I had to modify them. But it is a pretty good position since it is about half way though each joints movement range.   The arms would be in a similar pose but I was using a template for the musculature which is in that pose.

Now I need to work on clothing and armouring him. I was thinking I was going to equip him in standard Greek hoplite armour since (in case you haven?t figured it out yet) this is the ?Trojan Horse? the won the battle of Troy. But that may be a bit boring.

I was also thinking of giving him some ?stilts? to make his feet look more horse like if that isn?t breaking the rules.

Here is a little something i wipped up for the B5 fans.
Look it's a Cenatauri!

-Ponkavitch
Ponkavitch2007-07-16 17:30:47

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Mon, 23/07/07 - 7:00 AM Permalink

OK. So I have finished the breastplate, greaves and helmet. Next up is the ?Pteruges?(skirt thing). I?m not really sure how I want to do that. I think I will just make a skirt and ass the armoured strips on to that.

Perspective.

Front (remember the legs are bent so they will look rather short.)

Left

-Ponkavitch