Skip to main content

Living in tha East

Submitted by Skribble on
Forum

hey guys. i was talking to sum of my friends and they were saying that to get into the games industry i would most likely havta move east. i agreed coz obviously perth sux. so wot would be the best place to liv in over there? like good living area plus good industry? thanx dudes

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 03/07/04 - 4:11 PM Permalink

Heh ? If this isn?t a good topic for a flame war, then I don?t know what is!

////////// -------- Brisbane -------- \\\\

P.S. Spell-checkers are quick and easy to use [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:06 PM Permalink

////////// -------- MELBOURNE -------- \\\\

Submitted by shiva on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:08 PM Permalink

Melbourne and Brisbane are the two cities with the highest concentration of game development companies in Australia.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:20 PM Permalink

But Melbourne is the first, check the developers page. This is just a guess as well, but i think melbourne also has a higher population than Perth, which would probably mean more people trying to get into the Games Industry. Your chances would increase but i don't know if it would be a significant margin.

EDIT: we also have customized schools pumping out more students and a lot more courses as well eg:
AIE
CGC (computer graphics college)
Monash
Swinburne
RMIT

Submitted by Stu on Sat, 03/07/04 - 8:31 PM Permalink

Yeah and Melbourne is more expensive to live, but driving in Brisbane sux, but Melbourne weather sucks, (ie. cold to hot in 20 minutes), but Brisbane doesn't have as much culture, but Melbourne is AGES away from the Gold Coast hehehehe.

//////////////------------- GOLD COAST ------------\\\\\\\
If everyone moves to the Gold Coast we can make a game development version of silicon valley.

Stu

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 03/07/04 - 10:38 PM Permalink

To further Stu'scomments, Skribble, you dont need to drive in Brisbane, if you do your insane, Its impossible. You dont need culture, you need a games industry job. You need nice warm weather and the best possible surroundings to help ease the stress on those, HEAVY days [;)]
Basically Brisbane and Melbourne would be neck and neck for me, the only thing that pushes me either way is I like it to be 22 degrees in winter time, not 2 degrees.

Soooo If you like being warm in winter..

//////////////------------- BRISBANE ------------\\\\\\\
If not.......

//////////////------------- MELBOURNE ------------\\\\\\\\

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 03/07/04 - 11:37 PM Permalink

Bah! Driving in Brisbane is a breeze - I've been delivering pizzas here for years, and not a problem. It's certainly easier then the driving in the Gold Coast (bring on the bypass!).

And what's this about more culture in the Goldie then in Brisbane? What, tacky clubs, drugged up surfers and high-rise buildings is more cultural then a thriving live music scene, diverse personalities and 200 year old heritage buildings? I don't think so! Besides, it takes an hour to drive to the Goldie from Brisbane, but driving through Surfers' takes about an hour on it's own!!

Also, Brisbane has great weather (compared to down south), it?s a short drive to surfing beaches, mountains and various fishing locations, a brilliant nightlife and music scene, several high quality educational institutions and of course an ever growing games industry.

//////////////------------- GooooooooOOOO Brisbane! ------------\\\\\\\

Of course at the end of the day, you have to go where the work is?

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 04/07/04 - 2:41 AM Permalink

Melbourne also got most livebale city in the world :p
so
//////////////------------- GooooooooOOOO MELBOURNE! ------------\\\\\\\\

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 04/07/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

Brisbane/Gold coast has more international developers (and larger developers).
Most of the developers in melbourne are reasonably small and fairly much all australian owned. Atari melbourne house being the only exception off the top of my head.
Victoria has better government support for game developers afaik, plus the AGDC and IGDC are held in melbourne :)
As far as total population of game developers goes, it might be hard to say. I think melbourne has more development houses, but they aren't as large as their QLD cousins.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:30 AM Permalink

yeah guys, cant compete with the most livable city :D
but seriously as far as i can see either appears to be a good choice

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:44 AM Permalink

but Melbourne is the best choice ;)

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 04/07/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Palantir, I never siad more culture in the Gold Coast, I said more culture in Melbourne. I'm completly aware that the Gold Coast is pretty much devoid of any except beach, surfing, and party culture. But as a 21 year old who loves the beach, surfing, and partying it's great.

Stu

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:29 AM Permalink

Fair call Stu. Besides, when you consider it's only an hour or so drive between the Goldie and Brissie, it doesn't really matter that much where you live up here. BTW, I think the Tweed coast is the best surfing around, as the crowds at the Gold Coast points have gotten beyond ridiculous. Super-bank or not, I just can't handle the super aggression in the surf when the whole point of surfing is just to relax and have a good time!

So what's Melbourne culture like, anyway?

And just to fuel this silly fire: Queensland is the best choice for future game developers ;)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:35 AM Permalink

Meh, you make your own scene ;)
Btw im a melbournite and i hit the waves at places like gunnamatta, i mean you have to drive there but its not like its impossible to surf if u wanna in melb :D

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 04/07/04 - 9:21 AM Permalink

Cool. I?ve seen some pretty epic waves down there in surfing mags and stuff ? I hear the more southerly coast line gets some much larger swells from time to time. The only thing is: how much thick rubber do you need to wear!? It?d be like surfing in ice water wouldn?t it? (Not that the water temp up here is all that high ATM).

One thing I'll give Melbourne: closeness to awesome hiking/rock climbing (so I've heard).

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 04/07/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

The water temp is fine, (about 22 degrees the other day) it's the wind when you get out that's the problem, it's not strong but it's icy cold. I agree some of the spots are over-crowded especially when the waves pick up, but there's still plenty of spots to go and relax. And South Straddie is only a short paddle away.

Stu

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:38 PM Permalink

Is Skribble moving down here for the surf or for employment :P

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 9:32 PM Permalink

hey employment might be important but whats the point of moving if you cant pick up a few waves where your going :D

palantir, yeah its pretty cold most of the time, but like i would wear a wet-suit up in Qld anyway so its not like it makes a diff.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 05/07/04 - 5:24 AM Permalink

quote:bullet21 said:

LOL - well West Aus has some pretty epic surf, so it ain?t the surf! Hey, it?s good to know a couple of other Sumeans like a wave every now and then.

This isn?t the most serious discussion around, so I didn?t think it would hurt to chat a bit about surfing. Besides, this is the chat forum after all :P

Next you know someone will start on about how Queensland will kick NSW butts this week in the state of origin! :P

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 05/07/04 - 9:49 PM Permalink

//////////////------------- Canberra ------------\\\\\\\

It is a other option, I study and now work in the game industry, which I have been able to do in the few years I have been here with no real problems (I have been in Canberra for three and a half years and have been working for one and a half of them.) Also another thing to note is that the ACT government is now spending a little more money in the area of digital entertainment. So the industry is only going to get bigger from now on.

But right now the best place to be would be Brisbane or Melbourne, with most of the Australian game industry in these two cities.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 06/07/04 - 12:23 PM Permalink

o/ Sydney o/

We've got... uhm...

o/ SYDNEY YAYY!!! [8D] o/

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 06/07/04 - 1:00 PM Permalink

Well, I hear Sydney's got good surf too...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 06/07/04 - 9:08 PM Permalink

when it all comes down to it, it seems that your looking at melb or brissie. So which sort of lifestyle and surroudings appeal more to you basicly decides it........

but hey, melbourne was chosen as the most livable city in the world so that makes things easy for your dosent it ;)
//////////////------------- MELBOURNE ------------\\\\\\\
wooooooo

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 06/07/04 - 11:14 PM Permalink

MoonUnit: Where is the source for that claim, for it was heard on the news that Adelaide was the most libeable city in the World - or was that best to start a business in? Ahh well...

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:27 AM Permalink

Adelaide has a high murder rate and lots of churches. Co-incedence? I think not. :P
Maybe just the water turns everyone crazy.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:28 AM Permalink

Daemin: dunno, just heard it on the news a while back

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 07/07/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

Blitz: Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane have higher murder rates than Adelaide :-P

And as for churches, I couldn't care less...

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 07/07/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Um..why is everyone fighting to have more people in there city to compete for jobs?! lol [:O]

Brisbane = biggest industry in terms of people employed and international diversity.
A Bachelor of Animation is only available in Brisbane my friend just told me, everything else is just diplomas etc.
Btw driving is easy as pie here, theres hardly any people on our roads! Try Europe if you find it hard, they're nuts. lol.

Melbourne = just plain cool place to live but not as big a scene as BrisVegas. Love Melbourne, if my job wasn't in Brissy I'd be there eating Souvlaki. [:)]

Canberra = Small but talented industry and access to lots of XXX stoof.

Sydney = <> Solid industry and alot of people who won't let you forget they had the olympics, yes guys we know, let it go. [:P] <>

Posted by Skribble on
Forum

hey guys. i was talking to sum of my friends and they were saying that to get into the games industry i would most likely havta move east. i agreed coz obviously perth sux. so wot would be the best place to liv in over there? like good living area plus good industry? thanx dudes

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 03/07/04 - 4:11 PM Permalink

Heh ? If this isn?t a good topic for a flame war, then I don?t know what is!

////////// -------- Brisbane -------- \\\\

P.S. Spell-checkers are quick and easy to use [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:06 PM Permalink

////////// -------- MELBOURNE -------- \\\\

Submitted by shiva on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:08 PM Permalink

Melbourne and Brisbane are the two cities with the highest concentration of game development companies in Australia.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:20 PM Permalink

But Melbourne is the first, check the developers page. This is just a guess as well, but i think melbourne also has a higher population than Perth, which would probably mean more people trying to get into the Games Industry. Your chances would increase but i don't know if it would be a significant margin.

EDIT: we also have customized schools pumping out more students and a lot more courses as well eg:
AIE
CGC (computer graphics college)
Monash
Swinburne
RMIT

Submitted by Stu on Sat, 03/07/04 - 8:31 PM Permalink

Yeah and Melbourne is more expensive to live, but driving in Brisbane sux, but Melbourne weather sucks, (ie. cold to hot in 20 minutes), but Brisbane doesn't have as much culture, but Melbourne is AGES away from the Gold Coast hehehehe.

//////////////------------- GOLD COAST ------------\\\\\\\
If everyone moves to the Gold Coast we can make a game development version of silicon valley.

Stu

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 03/07/04 - 10:38 PM Permalink

To further Stu'scomments, Skribble, you dont need to drive in Brisbane, if you do your insane, Its impossible. You dont need culture, you need a games industry job. You need nice warm weather and the best possible surroundings to help ease the stress on those, HEAVY days [;)]
Basically Brisbane and Melbourne would be neck and neck for me, the only thing that pushes me either way is I like it to be 22 degrees in winter time, not 2 degrees.

Soooo If you like being warm in winter..

//////////////------------- BRISBANE ------------\\\\\\\
If not.......

//////////////------------- MELBOURNE ------------\\\\\\\\

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 03/07/04 - 11:37 PM Permalink

Bah! Driving in Brisbane is a breeze - I've been delivering pizzas here for years, and not a problem. It's certainly easier then the driving in the Gold Coast (bring on the bypass!).

And what's this about more culture in the Goldie then in Brisbane? What, tacky clubs, drugged up surfers and high-rise buildings is more cultural then a thriving live music scene, diverse personalities and 200 year old heritage buildings? I don't think so! Besides, it takes an hour to drive to the Goldie from Brisbane, but driving through Surfers' takes about an hour on it's own!!

Also, Brisbane has great weather (compared to down south), it?s a short drive to surfing beaches, mountains and various fishing locations, a brilliant nightlife and music scene, several high quality educational institutions and of course an ever growing games industry.

//////////////------------- GooooooooOOOO Brisbane! ------------\\\\\\\

Of course at the end of the day, you have to go where the work is?

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 04/07/04 - 2:41 AM Permalink

Melbourne also got most livebale city in the world :p
so
//////////////------------- GooooooooOOOO MELBOURNE! ------------\\\\\\\\

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 04/07/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

Brisbane/Gold coast has more international developers (and larger developers).
Most of the developers in melbourne are reasonably small and fairly much all australian owned. Atari melbourne house being the only exception off the top of my head.
Victoria has better government support for game developers afaik, plus the AGDC and IGDC are held in melbourne :)
As far as total population of game developers goes, it might be hard to say. I think melbourne has more development houses, but they aren't as large as their QLD cousins.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:30 AM Permalink

yeah guys, cant compete with the most livable city :D
but seriously as far as i can see either appears to be a good choice

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:44 AM Permalink

but Melbourne is the best choice ;)

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 04/07/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Palantir, I never siad more culture in the Gold Coast, I said more culture in Melbourne. I'm completly aware that the Gold Coast is pretty much devoid of any except beach, surfing, and party culture. But as a 21 year old who loves the beach, surfing, and partying it's great.

Stu

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:29 AM Permalink

Fair call Stu. Besides, when you consider it's only an hour or so drive between the Goldie and Brissie, it doesn't really matter that much where you live up here. BTW, I think the Tweed coast is the best surfing around, as the crowds at the Gold Coast points have gotten beyond ridiculous. Super-bank or not, I just can't handle the super aggression in the surf when the whole point of surfing is just to relax and have a good time!

So what's Melbourne culture like, anyway?

And just to fuel this silly fire: Queensland is the best choice for future game developers ;)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:35 AM Permalink

Meh, you make your own scene ;)
Btw im a melbournite and i hit the waves at places like gunnamatta, i mean you have to drive there but its not like its impossible to surf if u wanna in melb :D

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 04/07/04 - 9:21 AM Permalink

Cool. I?ve seen some pretty epic waves down there in surfing mags and stuff ? I hear the more southerly coast line gets some much larger swells from time to time. The only thing is: how much thick rubber do you need to wear!? It?d be like surfing in ice water wouldn?t it? (Not that the water temp up here is all that high ATM).

One thing I'll give Melbourne: closeness to awesome hiking/rock climbing (so I've heard).

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 04/07/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

The water temp is fine, (about 22 degrees the other day) it's the wind when you get out that's the problem, it's not strong but it's icy cold. I agree some of the spots are over-crowded especially when the waves pick up, but there's still plenty of spots to go and relax. And South Straddie is only a short paddle away.

Stu

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:38 PM Permalink

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 9:32 PM Permalink

hey employment might be important but whats the point of moving if you cant pick up a few waves where your going :D

palantir, yeah its pretty cold most of the time, but like i would wear a wet-suit up in Qld anyway so its not like it makes a diff.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 05/07/04 - 5:24 AM Permalink

quote:bullet21 said:

LOL - well West Aus has some pretty epic surf, so it ain?t the surf! Hey, it?s good to know a couple of other Sumeans like a wave every now and then.

This isn?t the most serious discussion around, so I didn?t think it would hurt to chat a bit about surfing. Besides, this is the chat forum after all :P

Next you know someone will start on about how Queensland will kick NSW butts this week in the state of origin! :P

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 05/07/04 - 9:49 PM Permalink

//////////////------------- Canberra ------------\\\\\\\

It is a other option, I study and now work in the game industry, which I have been able to do in the few years I have been here with no real problems (I have been in Canberra for three and a half years and have been working for one and a half of them.) Also another thing to note is that the ACT government is now spending a little more money in the area of digital entertainment. So the industry is only going to get bigger from now on.

But right now the best place to be would be Brisbane or Melbourne, with most of the Australian game industry in these two cities.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 06/07/04 - 12:23 PM Permalink

o/ Sydney o/

We've got... uhm...

o/ SYDNEY YAYY!!! [8D] o/

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 06/07/04 - 1:00 PM Permalink

Well, I hear Sydney's got good surf too...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 06/07/04 - 9:08 PM Permalink

when it all comes down to it, it seems that your looking at melb or brissie. So which sort of lifestyle and surroudings appeal more to you basicly decides it........

but hey, melbourne was chosen as the most livable city in the world so that makes things easy for your dosent it ;)
//////////////------------- MELBOURNE ------------\\\\\\\
wooooooo

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 06/07/04 - 11:14 PM Permalink

MoonUnit: Where is the source for that claim, for it was heard on the news that Adelaide was the most libeable city in the World - or was that best to start a business in? Ahh well...

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:27 AM Permalink

Adelaide has a high murder rate and lots of churches. Co-incedence? I think not. :P
Maybe just the water turns everyone crazy.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:28 AM Permalink

Daemin: dunno, just heard it on the news a while back

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 07/07/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

Blitz: Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane have higher murder rates than Adelaide :-P

And as for churches, I couldn't care less...

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 07/07/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Um..why is everyone fighting to have more people in there city to compete for jobs?! lol [:O]

Brisbane = biggest industry in terms of people employed and international diversity.
A Bachelor of Animation is only available in Brisbane my friend just told me, everything else is just diplomas etc.
Btw driving is easy as pie here, theres hardly any people on our roads! Try Europe if you find it hard, they're nuts. lol.

Melbourne = just plain cool place to live but not as big a scene as BrisVegas. Love Melbourne, if my job wasn't in Brissy I'd be there eating Souvlaki. [:)]

Canberra = Small but talented industry and access to lots of XXX stoof.

Sydney = <> Solid industry and alot of people who won't let you forget they had the olympics, yes guys we know, let it go. [:P] <>