Skip to main content

48 Hour Challenge #2 - Kane

Submitted by Kane on

Well, I have never made a side scroller before, but I'll give it my best shot!

After recently buying and becoming addicted to the stake-gun antics of Painkiller, I have decided to base my side scroller on it. I really doubt that I will get it working properly before the challenge ends, but I will do as much as I can... [:D]

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

man, im trying to figure out how to do the scrolling and it is confusing me... i really doubt that i will finish on time... [:(]

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 04/07/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

What libs etc. are you programming in?
The basic idea is you have a camera sort of thing that translates your world co-ordinates to camera co-ordinates and that does the scrolling (or showing different parts of the world) for you.
It's a reasonably simple matrix transform...
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

i am using Java...

i have decided to skip the problem i was having and keep adding things that are most important..and i think i have it sorted now anyway, in my own deranged way...[:D]

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:52 AM Permalink

just a note to everyone...

ive never made a side scroller before, and my character doesnt move from his spot on the screen, and he probably wont be able to jump... so it will possibly be the most boring side scroller ever created, but hey its my first attempt!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

dont worry kane, from the looks of things its a 1 on 1 competition :o

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:21 PM Permalink

well, 2nd is always good!

i am currently trying to make the character jump, and with a bit of success...but he still doesnt move around, the map walks by him!

w00t! [:D]

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 04/07/04 - 9:50 PM Permalink

Looks like you'll have to settle for 1st Kane :P

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

ahaha!

other people will post closer to the finish time ill bet..

and on top of my semi-non-spectacular side scroller, my PC microphone has shat itself, so i dont even get to make a heavy metal theme somng or any sound effects!

wo is me! [:(]

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 05/07/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

More than likely yeah, there hasn't been much talk about it on the IRC chan though...I guess most people are just busy.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

ok, here we go people!

keep in mind this is my first side-scrolling type game, even though it has limited scrolling abilities...[:p]

Name: Painkiller 2D : Aspro Clear
[url]http://home.graffiti.net/dinomedia:graffiti.net/Painkiller.zip[/url]

Size: 302KB Zipped

Requirements: Java VM or SDK. I have only tested it on a Windows XP machine, but should work fine on a Mac.

Installing and Running: Unzip the contents of the zip file to a desired location. Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory in which you unzipped the game. At the prompt, type the following;

java PainRun

Then hit the enter key. With any luck it will appear on the screen.

Controls and Instructions:

RIGHT = right arrow key
LEFT = left arrow key
SHOOT = space
JUMP = j (use at own risk!)

You have to be at least 2 spaces from enemies to shoot them.
You will get hurt if you run into an enemy.
There is currently only the one level, and provides a maximum of 20 seconds gameplay!

Bugs: There are plenty of bugs in this baby...

The first major bug is with the repainting of the window. At first only some or none of the graphics will be displayed, but if you minimize the window, them open it again, it will correct itself.

Secondly, there is no animation in the game at all, so basically you will see a man sliding across the ground.

Thirdly, enemies have no AI and basically just stand there waiting to have a stake shoved through their head.

Fourthly (?), the avatar can jump onto the one platform that is in the game, but unfortunately defies all laws of physics and remains airbourne when he walks off the platform. So jump at you own risk. Also, he can't jump onto it unless he is directly underneath it.

And finally, at least to my knowledge, if you walk to the edge of the level, (the level is about 20 tiles long...), the game will have a spaz attack and the graphics will go haywire. Just walk back the way you came and it will correct itself.

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:18 AM Permalink

*applause*
Well done Kane, good to see you made it to the bitter end (or not so bitter in your case!).
Can't seem to d/l the file tho.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

try again, i put the wrong URL a minute ago...

but if it still doesnt work, tell me, please!

Submitted by Stephen on Mon, 05/07/04 - 7:24 PM Permalink

Yes nice job Kane,

I downloaded it first thing this morning at work.
Yes, its buggy buy hey you tried.

I was almost going to compete but was put off by the 2d nature of the topic. Could I suggest that for the next comp. we get people to submit their on ideas on a topic and we vote for the most interesting.

All I wont to know now is what does Kane win?

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:14 PM Permalink

yeh! [;)]

how bout a Sumea T-Shirt?

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 05/07/04 - 11:10 PM Permalink

I still have all that GDC stuff that no-one wanted from the last comp o.o
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 11:53 PM Permalink

hey, I'll have anything your willing to give away... [:D]

Submitted by McKnight on Sun, 05/06/05 - 8:28 AM Permalink

I am somewhat confused and amazed by this piece of work. I didn't reach the end of the level, the camera did and the game finished :D. Good work, sequel? :D

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 07/06/05 - 11:09 PM Permalink

Wow, someone actually dug up this old piece of junk!

I had never attempted anything like this game before, and I had very very limited programming skills at the time, but I was quite proud of I managed to do in that short amount of time! I am surprised to see that you were amazed by it, but I suppose it was the winning entry. [;)]

Posted by Kane on

Well, I have never made a side scroller before, but I'll give it my best shot!

After recently buying and becoming addicted to the stake-gun antics of Painkiller, I have decided to base my side scroller on it. I really doubt that I will get it working properly before the challenge ends, but I will do as much as I can... [:D]

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

man, im trying to figure out how to do the scrolling and it is confusing me... i really doubt that i will finish on time... [:(]

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 04/07/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

What libs etc. are you programming in?
The basic idea is you have a camera sort of thing that translates your world co-ordinates to camera co-ordinates and that does the scrolling (or showing different parts of the world) for you.
It's a reasonably simple matrix transform...
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

i am using Java...

i have decided to skip the problem i was having and keep adding things that are most important..and i think i have it sorted now anyway, in my own deranged way...[:D]

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 4:52 AM Permalink

just a note to everyone...

ive never made a side scroller before, and my character doesnt move from his spot on the screen, and he probably wont be able to jump... so it will possibly be the most boring side scroller ever created, but hey its my first attempt!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

dont worry kane, from the looks of things its a 1 on 1 competition :o

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 04/07/04 - 8:21 PM Permalink

well, 2nd is always good!

i am currently trying to make the character jump, and with a bit of success...but he still doesnt move around, the map walks by him!

w00t! [:D]

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 04/07/04 - 9:50 PM Permalink

Looks like you'll have to settle for 1st Kane :P

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

ahaha!

other people will post closer to the finish time ill bet..

and on top of my semi-non-spectacular side scroller, my PC microphone has shat itself, so i dont even get to make a heavy metal theme somng or any sound effects!

wo is me! [:(]

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 05/07/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

More than likely yeah, there hasn't been much talk about it on the IRC chan though...I guess most people are just busy.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

ok, here we go people!

keep in mind this is my first side-scrolling type game, even though it has limited scrolling abilities...[:p]

Name: Painkiller 2D : Aspro Clear
[url]http://home.graffiti.net/dinomedia:graffiti.net/Painkiller.zip[/url]

Size: 302KB Zipped

Requirements: Java VM or SDK. I have only tested it on a Windows XP machine, but should work fine on a Mac.

Installing and Running: Unzip the contents of the zip file to a desired location. Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory in which you unzipped the game. At the prompt, type the following;

java PainRun

Then hit the enter key. With any luck it will appear on the screen.

Controls and Instructions:

RIGHT = right arrow key
LEFT = left arrow key
SHOOT = space
JUMP = j (use at own risk!)

You have to be at least 2 spaces from enemies to shoot them.
You will get hurt if you run into an enemy.
There is currently only the one level, and provides a maximum of 20 seconds gameplay!

Bugs: There are plenty of bugs in this baby...

The first major bug is with the repainting of the window. At first only some or none of the graphics will be displayed, but if you minimize the window, them open it again, it will correct itself.

Secondly, there is no animation in the game at all, so basically you will see a man sliding across the ground.

Thirdly, enemies have no AI and basically just stand there waiting to have a stake shoved through their head.

Fourthly (?), the avatar can jump onto the one platform that is in the game, but unfortunately defies all laws of physics and remains airbourne when he walks off the platform. So jump at you own risk. Also, he can't jump onto it unless he is directly underneath it.

And finally, at least to my knowledge, if you walk to the edge of the level, (the level is about 20 tiles long...), the game will have a spaz attack and the graphics will go haywire. Just walk back the way you came and it will correct itself.

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:18 AM Permalink

*applause*
Well done Kane, good to see you made it to the bitter end (or not so bitter in your case!).
Can't seem to d/l the file tho.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

try again, i put the wrong URL a minute ago...

but if it still doesnt work, tell me, please!

Submitted by Stephen on Mon, 05/07/04 - 7:24 PM Permalink

Yes nice job Kane,

I downloaded it first thing this morning at work.
Yes, its buggy buy hey you tried.

I was almost going to compete but was put off by the 2d nature of the topic. Could I suggest that for the next comp. we get people to submit their on ideas on a topic and we vote for the most interesting.

All I wont to know now is what does Kane win?

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 8:14 PM Permalink

yeh! [;)]

how bout a Sumea T-Shirt?

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 05/07/04 - 11:10 PM Permalink

I still have all that GDC stuff that no-one wanted from the last comp o.o
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 05/07/04 - 11:53 PM Permalink

hey, I'll have anything your willing to give away... [:D]

Submitted by McKnight on Sun, 05/06/05 - 8:28 AM Permalink

I am somewhat confused and amazed by this piece of work. I didn't reach the end of the level, the camera did and the game finished :D. Good work, sequel? :D

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 07/06/05 - 11:09 PM Permalink

Wow, someone actually dug up this old piece of junk!

I had never attempted anything like this game before, and I had very very limited programming skills at the time, but I was quite proud of I managed to do in that short amount of time! I am surprised to see that you were amazed by it, but I suppose it was the winning entry. [;)]