Skip to main content

Radeon 9600 XT

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

With Doom 3 coming out next month, and Half LIfe 2 shortly after (hopefully), I'm seriously considering upgrading my graphics card. My poor Geforce4MX performed 2nd last in Tom's Hardware graphics card roundup of about 20-30 cards!! [:)]. The Radeon 9600XT costs around $300, and hopefully I'll have that Half Life 2 voucher to go with it, but if anyone thinks I should purchase something different, let me hear your recommendations!

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 03/03/04 - 6:40 PM Permalink

I upgraded to a 9600XT :) mine came with HL2 and the new tomb raider game. Good card for the $! *so I am not against it*

I am very happy with it - I haven't pushed it too hard yet. Only been playing NWN but it runs just fine with everything turned on high!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 7:13 PM Permalink

You can get a 9600 XT and your asking questions. I have a 16mb nvidia vanta. Go for it Souri, with your life. It's one of the best cards on the market. I think it's definately worth the 300. If i had that money i would buy it.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 03/03/04 - 7:44 PM Permalink

It is one of the best value for money cards available. Although there are higher level cards available, they do cost a lot more. My friend did manage to to find a 256mb Radeon 9800xt for $600 out at the computer fairs in Canberra. It also came with the voucher. The 9600xt is a very good bet.

I also read your problems with 2k4. 2k3 had similar problems with older and lower class nVidia cards. When we used to play it at the AIE, all the grass was missing (and they were running Quadros!). There are some options that were only available in the .ini file that had to changed. I am not sure if that will help your problem, or if it is actually a nVidia problem.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Yeah try swap meets, you can get good hardware cheap. A mate got a 256 mb 5600 ultra for $180.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 03/03/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I was under the impression that the HL voucher offer expired on the 31st of December. That may only apply to ATI Branded cards, though. Have a look at the GeXCube range also.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 03/03/04 - 10:44 PM Permalink

i was considering buying the same card and someone told me not to buy it if its made by powercolour, apparently their cheap and nasty, Saphire are your best bet (well so im told).

Submitted by souri on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:18 PM Permalink

I've noticed that 31st of December date as well - what I've read elsewhere is that some distributors have stopped giving out the coupons for Half Life 2 at that time.. The Half LIfe 2 voucher expires on that date? Ouch... anyone know the details?

I can understand if the graphic glitches are Nvidia related, but the stuff where the vehicles can't even aim properly.. [V]

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 04/03/04 - 12:46 AM Permalink

My card doesnt have a date of Dec 31st on it.

Went to the website and signed up for mine and this is all I saw:
Offer only available to customers who have:

Purchased a qualifying RADEON? technology graphics card after October 1, 2003
-or-
Purchased a qualifying RADEON? graphics cards as part of limited time promotional offers from North American Retailers after October 1, 2003

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 04/03/04 - 2:06 AM Permalink

Okay, I've had a look around and from what I can tell, previously to December 31st all Radeon cards (ATI and licensed) shipped with the HL2 voucher. It seems now that certain vendors (ATI, Sapphire, GeXCube, ASUS) are packaging only certain cards with the voucher, like the newest in their range. 9800XTs seem to carry the voucher more commonly than the 9600XT. The current ASUS 9600XT DOES come with the HL2 voucher.

Have a look at the manufacturer's site for specific cards to see if they're bundling the voucher or not.

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 04/03/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

My 9600 XT is a sapphire.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

The 9800xt that my friend bought is an official ATI boxed version. It was $130 less than the next cheapest 9800 there, but didn't say that it came with the HL2 coupon. Even if he had to buy HL2 when it came out, he would still save about $30. Turns out that when he opened the box, there was a coupon in there anyway. I will have to ask him if it has an expirery date on it.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 04/03/04 - 11:30 AM Permalink

I've got my friend to have a look into the coupon situation for me (I really do want Half Life 2 [:)], even though apparently it's been delayed to Summer (Winter for us))..

Submitted by souri on Sun, 07/03/04 - 12:56 AM Permalink

Actually, I just remembered the many versions of Half Life 2 that is planned for release. The offline version (single player only, and the cheapest version if you buy it retail), the online version, and a special edition.

I would be kinda annoyed if I got the offline version.
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/69_theman.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 07/03/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

Well I would image that you'd get the "standard" version, which you could play online, but that you'd have to subscribe to steam to get all the other mods like counter strike 2 etc. Otherwise there would be a lot of angry people like that pic there in the world!

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 09/03/04 - 3:09 AM Permalink

Haha iD/Activision(?) hates ATI now :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/03/04 - 6:28 AM Permalink

Yeah. I heard that someone at ATI was the one who leaked the Doom3 leak.

Spoke to my friend, and he said that he does have the HL2 coupon without an expiery date, but he had to register it online. They have also sent him the HL1 pack while they wait for HL2 (could be a while :p). The HL1 pack has HL1, CS and something else that I have forgotten...

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/03/04 - 2:25 AM Permalink

I've been doing a little bit of reading in Doom3 and Halflife 2 forums. It looks like Doom 3 might not even be out till September (although there was news about a release in a few weeks!), and no one still knows when HL2 is going to appear. Might just hold off the purchase and wait.

System Requirements for DOOM 3: A video card with at least 128MB RAM and Pixel Shader 1.1 support and a 2.5GHz CPU. Also DOOM 3 is expected to be on 4 cds and Multiplayer will include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Tournament and Last Man Standing. Gah!

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 10/03/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

As much as i want these games in a way i dont...

Ok the current games need about 1ghz, 256 meg of ram and Geforce 3 or 4 to run at full speed with good graphics but now that HL2 and D3 are coming everything is going to change. To get really awesome performance you need around 3.0ghz, in a way the latest parts avaliable but then come the games built upon the engines with extra features eating even more power! In a way these games take a massive leap and look great but unfortuneately make a massive debt too :P. In order to keep up with these we will need like an upgrade every month [:p].

But none the less damn will they be killer games [:)].

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/03/04 - 5:17 AM Permalink

actually neither doom3 or HL2 interest me (as fun games to play) at all... pleasedontkillme

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

As much as id were pioneers of the multiplayer FPS experience, it's sad that they have basically "given up" trying to create new multiplayed gameplay (and even charged extra for it with Q3 team etc.)
Doom3 will only be worth it for the single player game, and mods (maybe)...
On the other hand Epic(or DE) are at least trying new things!
I haven't seen much about HL2 multi, but i hope they won't simply rely on their mods to provide interesting multi.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:40 AM Permalink

I'm looking forward more to doom3 because they always seem to set a new benchmark in gaming with each major release and i don't think they will fail to please this time. I was never into HL i hated it, i only got it to play CS but now i hate that as well, so go ID and doom 3.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 10/03/04 - 8:51 PM Permalink

id have a great track record in setting new benchmarks but I'm not so sure about this one. Doom3 will be a great piece of tech (and hopefully a good game), but with the Source Engine (HL2) and the latest iteration of the Unreal Engine to compete with, its going to take a hell of a lot to do so.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 10/03/04 - 9:59 PM Permalink

Remember when Quake 2 had to compete with Unreal? Everyone ripped into Quake 2 and said how crap it was compared to Unreal and it's engine. The Unreal engine was awesome and Mods were going to pop up everywhere for it. A few months down the track, the Unreal engine was barely used and the Quake 2 engine was going strong. Why? The unreal engine had heaps better graphics, so why wasn't it more used? Ever try playing Unreal across a network? More than three people and it would cry. Ever tried running Unreal on a 2.53 GHz system? It still runs like crap. Although Quake 2 didn't have the most impressive graphics (I liked them though), it was a really solid engine. I'm hoping that Doom 3 will keep up that tradition.

Most people have stopped buying id game as a game, and more so as a $100 tech demo. This competition between all the big shooters and their engines wont be decided straight off though. I think that it will take a few months before we start to see what each game really has to offer.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 10/03/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Very true. The Unreal engine has, however, undergone several iterations since its original release. Its netcode was vastly improved upon for UT and again for UT2k3. 2k3 pulled off awesome graphics on relatively low-end hardware. When 2k3 came out I was playing quite comfortably at low settings on a PIII 800/GeForce 2 MX. A later upgrade to a Radeon 8500 allowed for mid settings and full hardware pixel shader support.

Unreal was scratchy to begin with but now its a really solid engine now. Doom3 will be too, I'm sure.

My money is still on Source for the moment though. We'll wait and see.

Edit: Typo.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 11/03/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Doom 3 would have been top-of-the-line setting new benchmarks IF it had been released on it's original date, which was about 1 and a bit years ago (christmas 2003). However, i think they've left it so long the many other companies have similar technology now, and they won't seem quite so flash. Of course i haven't seen it in action yet so who knows!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/03/04 - 2:15 AM Permalink

I have a Radeon 9600 XT ! [:D]
I'm running the unreal tournament 2004 demo at 1024x768 and it's so smooth (I'm sure I can run it at a higher resolution, but I don't really need to). I'm still getting those missing turrets/messed up aiming problems that I had with the Geforce 4 MX though!..
Still haven't received my copy of UT2k4 Special Edition, and I'm gonna register this Half Life 2 voucher that came with the card. Good times ahead [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/03/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

My pre-order for UT2k4 with Gameswarehouse just got canned.. They can't get it.

Dear Pre-Order customer,

Our supplier in the USA has informed us today that they have been told by Atari US that no further stock of UT 2004 Special Edition will be made available.

We are extremely disappointed that we are unable to supply the DVD ROM special edition to you. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Due to the disappointment and delay, we have negotiated a special price with them which will allow us to offer UT 2004 (CD ROM version) at a price of $59.95 each (excluding shipping) for all our Special Edition pre-order customers still patiently waiting. The stock at this special price is due to arrive early next week.

If you would like to take advantage of this special price, please reply to this email and tell us to change your order over.

We will change your order to the special priced CD ROM version, and ship it as soon as the stock arrives with us (early next week).

If you would prefer to cancel your order all together, please reply to this email and tell us to cancel the order, and we will do so.

If you have already paid for your order (by money order or direct deposit) please let us know if you would like a refund or credit against another order.

Again, we apologise for the inconvenience, and regret that we cannot supply this title.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:50 AM Permalink

Sorry to hear souri, in contradiction to your post i got a call from harvey norman today saying they have my copy of Special Edition in store and i just need to get down there and pick it up (which i probably wont get a chance to do untill the weekend)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/03/04 - 5:41 PM Permalink

I am a very sad panda. [:(]

Posted by souri on
Forum

With Doom 3 coming out next month, and Half LIfe 2 shortly after (hopefully), I'm seriously considering upgrading my graphics card. My poor Geforce4MX performed 2nd last in Tom's Hardware graphics card roundup of about 20-30 cards!! [:)]. The Radeon 9600XT costs around $300, and hopefully I'll have that Half Life 2 voucher to go with it, but if anyone thinks I should purchase something different, let me hear your recommendations!

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 03/03/04 - 6:40 PM Permalink

I upgraded to a 9600XT :) mine came with HL2 and the new tomb raider game. Good card for the $! *so I am not against it*

I am very happy with it - I haven't pushed it too hard yet. Only been playing NWN but it runs just fine with everything turned on high!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 7:13 PM Permalink

You can get a 9600 XT and your asking questions. I have a 16mb nvidia vanta. Go for it Souri, with your life. It's one of the best cards on the market. I think it's definately worth the 300. If i had that money i would buy it.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 03/03/04 - 7:44 PM Permalink

It is one of the best value for money cards available. Although there are higher level cards available, they do cost a lot more. My friend did manage to to find a 256mb Radeon 9800xt for $600 out at the computer fairs in Canberra. It also came with the voucher. The 9600xt is a very good bet.

I also read your problems with 2k4. 2k3 had similar problems with older and lower class nVidia cards. When we used to play it at the AIE, all the grass was missing (and they were running Quadros!). There are some options that were only available in the .ini file that had to changed. I am not sure if that will help your problem, or if it is actually a nVidia problem.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Yeah try swap meets, you can get good hardware cheap. A mate got a 256 mb 5600 ultra for $180.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 03/03/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I was under the impression that the HL voucher offer expired on the 31st of December. That may only apply to ATI Branded cards, though. Have a look at the GeXCube range also.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 03/03/04 - 10:44 PM Permalink

i was considering buying the same card and someone told me not to buy it if its made by powercolour, apparently their cheap and nasty, Saphire are your best bet (well so im told).

Submitted by souri on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:18 PM Permalink

I've noticed that 31st of December date as well - what I've read elsewhere is that some distributors have stopped giving out the coupons for Half Life 2 at that time.. The Half LIfe 2 voucher expires on that date? Ouch... anyone know the details?

I can understand if the graphic glitches are Nvidia related, but the stuff where the vehicles can't even aim properly.. [V]

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 04/03/04 - 12:46 AM Permalink

My card doesnt have a date of Dec 31st on it.

Went to the website and signed up for mine and this is all I saw:
Offer only available to customers who have:

Purchased a qualifying RADEON? technology graphics card after October 1, 2003
-or-
Purchased a qualifying RADEON? graphics cards as part of limited time promotional offers from North American Retailers after October 1, 2003

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 04/03/04 - 2:06 AM Permalink

Okay, I've had a look around and from what I can tell, previously to December 31st all Radeon cards (ATI and licensed) shipped with the HL2 voucher. It seems now that certain vendors (ATI, Sapphire, GeXCube, ASUS) are packaging only certain cards with the voucher, like the newest in their range. 9800XTs seem to carry the voucher more commonly than the 9600XT. The current ASUS 9600XT DOES come with the HL2 voucher.

Have a look at the manufacturer's site for specific cards to see if they're bundling the voucher or not.

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 04/03/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

My 9600 XT is a sapphire.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

The 9800xt that my friend bought is an official ATI boxed version. It was $130 less than the next cheapest 9800 there, but didn't say that it came with the HL2 coupon. Even if he had to buy HL2 when it came out, he would still save about $30. Turns out that when he opened the box, there was a coupon in there anyway. I will have to ask him if it has an expirery date on it.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 04/03/04 - 11:30 AM Permalink

I've got my friend to have a look into the coupon situation for me (I really do want Half Life 2 [:)], even though apparently it's been delayed to Summer (Winter for us))..

Submitted by souri on Sun, 07/03/04 - 12:56 AM Permalink

Actually, I just remembered the many versions of Half Life 2 that is planned for release. The offline version (single player only, and the cheapest version if you buy it retail), the online version, and a special edition.

I would be kinda annoyed if I got the offline version.
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/69_theman.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 07/03/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

Well I would image that you'd get the "standard" version, which you could play online, but that you'd have to subscribe to steam to get all the other mods like counter strike 2 etc. Otherwise there would be a lot of angry people like that pic there in the world!

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 09/03/04 - 3:09 AM Permalink

Haha iD/Activision(?) hates ATI now :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/03/04 - 6:28 AM Permalink

Yeah. I heard that someone at ATI was the one who leaked the Doom3 leak.

Spoke to my friend, and he said that he does have the HL2 coupon without an expiery date, but he had to register it online. They have also sent him the HL1 pack while they wait for HL2 (could be a while :p). The HL1 pack has HL1, CS and something else that I have forgotten...

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/03/04 - 2:25 AM Permalink

I've been doing a little bit of reading in Doom3 and Halflife 2 forums. It looks like Doom 3 might not even be out till September (although there was news about a release in a few weeks!), and no one still knows when HL2 is going to appear. Might just hold off the purchase and wait.

System Requirements for DOOM 3: A video card with at least 128MB RAM and Pixel Shader 1.1 support and a 2.5GHz CPU. Also DOOM 3 is expected to be on 4 cds and Multiplayer will include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Tournament and Last Man Standing. Gah!

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 10/03/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

As much as i want these games in a way i dont...

Ok the current games need about 1ghz, 256 meg of ram and Geforce 3 or 4 to run at full speed with good graphics but now that HL2 and D3 are coming everything is going to change. To get really awesome performance you need around 3.0ghz, in a way the latest parts avaliable but then come the games built upon the engines with extra features eating even more power! In a way these games take a massive leap and look great but unfortuneately make a massive debt too :P. In order to keep up with these we will need like an upgrade every month [:p].

But none the less damn will they be killer games [:)].

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 10/03/04 - 5:17 AM Permalink

actually neither doom3 or HL2 interest me (as fun games to play) at all... pleasedontkillme

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

As much as id were pioneers of the multiplayer FPS experience, it's sad that they have basically "given up" trying to create new multiplayed gameplay (and even charged extra for it with Q3 team etc.)
Doom3 will only be worth it for the single player game, and mods (maybe)...
On the other hand Epic(or DE) are at least trying new things!
I haven't seen much about HL2 multi, but i hope they won't simply rely on their mods to provide interesting multi.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:40 AM Permalink

I'm looking forward more to doom3 because they always seem to set a new benchmark in gaming with each major release and i don't think they will fail to please this time. I was never into HL i hated it, i only got it to play CS but now i hate that as well, so go ID and doom 3.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 10/03/04 - 8:51 PM Permalink

id have a great track record in setting new benchmarks but I'm not so sure about this one. Doom3 will be a great piece of tech (and hopefully a good game), but with the Source Engine (HL2) and the latest iteration of the Unreal Engine to compete with, its going to take a hell of a lot to do so.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 10/03/04 - 9:59 PM Permalink

Remember when Quake 2 had to compete with Unreal? Everyone ripped into Quake 2 and said how crap it was compared to Unreal and it's engine. The Unreal engine was awesome and Mods were going to pop up everywhere for it. A few months down the track, the Unreal engine was barely used and the Quake 2 engine was going strong. Why? The unreal engine had heaps better graphics, so why wasn't it more used? Ever try playing Unreal across a network? More than three people and it would cry. Ever tried running Unreal on a 2.53 GHz system? It still runs like crap. Although Quake 2 didn't have the most impressive graphics (I liked them though), it was a really solid engine. I'm hoping that Doom 3 will keep up that tradition.

Most people have stopped buying id game as a game, and more so as a $100 tech demo. This competition between all the big shooters and their engines wont be decided straight off though. I think that it will take a few months before we start to see what each game really has to offer.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 10/03/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Very true. The Unreal engine has, however, undergone several iterations since its original release. Its netcode was vastly improved upon for UT and again for UT2k3. 2k3 pulled off awesome graphics on relatively low-end hardware. When 2k3 came out I was playing quite comfortably at low settings on a PIII 800/GeForce 2 MX. A later upgrade to a Radeon 8500 allowed for mid settings and full hardware pixel shader support.

Unreal was scratchy to begin with but now its a really solid engine now. Doom3 will be too, I'm sure.

My money is still on Source for the moment though. We'll wait and see.

Edit: Typo.

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 11/03/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Doom 3 would have been top-of-the-line setting new benchmarks IF it had been released on it's original date, which was about 1 and a bit years ago (christmas 2003). However, i think they've left it so long the many other companies have similar technology now, and they won't seem quite so flash. Of course i haven't seen it in action yet so who knows!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/03/04 - 2:15 AM Permalink

I have a Radeon 9600 XT ! [:D]
I'm running the unreal tournament 2004 demo at 1024x768 and it's so smooth (I'm sure I can run it at a higher resolution, but I don't really need to). I'm still getting those missing turrets/messed up aiming problems that I had with the Geforce 4 MX though!..
Still haven't received my copy of UT2k4 Special Edition, and I'm gonna register this Half Life 2 voucher that came with the card. Good times ahead [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/03/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

My pre-order for UT2k4 with Gameswarehouse just got canned.. They can't get it.

Dear Pre-Order customer,

Our supplier in the USA has informed us today that they have been told by Atari US that no further stock of UT 2004 Special Edition will be made available.

We are extremely disappointed that we are unable to supply the DVD ROM special edition to you. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Due to the disappointment and delay, we have negotiated a special price with them which will allow us to offer UT 2004 (CD ROM version) at a price of $59.95 each (excluding shipping) for all our Special Edition pre-order customers still patiently waiting. The stock at this special price is due to arrive early next week.

If you would like to take advantage of this special price, please reply to this email and tell us to change your order over.

We will change your order to the special priced CD ROM version, and ship it as soon as the stock arrives with us (early next week).

If you would prefer to cancel your order all together, please reply to this email and tell us to cancel the order, and we will do so.

If you have already paid for your order (by money order or direct deposit) please let us know if you would like a refund or credit against another order.

Again, we apologise for the inconvenience, and regret that we cannot supply this title.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:50 AM Permalink

Sorry to hear souri, in contradiction to your post i got a call from harvey norman today saying they have my copy of Special Edition in store and i just need to get down there and pick it up (which i probably wont get a chance to do untill the weekend)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/03/04 - 5:41 PM Permalink

I am a very sad panda. [:(]