Skip to main content

Character WIP

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Hey all , heres a character im working on for a friend of mines demo, still blocking out the rough shapes at the mo, so hes lookin pretty messy, will keep posted on how he finishes up.

I've got 3000 tris to play with and a single 1024x1024 texture sheet - hes a nice coder [8)]

Comments and crits welcome, im still pretty slow, hence the 5 hours so far and still not even finished [:p]

Model Sheet...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_Runner_ModelSheet.jpg[/img]

Model so far...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_Runner5Hours.jpg[/img]

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 02/03/04 - 12:01 PM Permalink

Looks cool. Nice and close to the concept.

It's a difficult style to pull off, and you're certainly headed in the right direction.

cheers

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 02/03/04 - 1:31 PM Permalink

Lookin' goood - the model looks better than the sketch! I don't know much (anything) about modelling but the basic forms look like they have been neatly captured.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 02/03/04 - 9:04 PM Permalink

Looking good, although the amount of tris in the shoes is pretty high compared to the rest of the model.
Even though youv'e got another 1350 tris I would keep an eye on that and maybe cull a few.

Watch the shoulders/elbows for deformation also.

Overall its looking nice and clean.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 5:44 AM Permalink

Awesome concept, i love the knuckle spikes, please keep us posted.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:31 AM Permalink

Smeg: Thanks for the confidence :)

JohnN: Ditto :)

Malus: yeah the boots are a bit tri heavy at the mo :) ill leave all the cleaning up till the end, which shouldnt be too far off.

Heres a bit of an update,.. didnt have much time to spend on it tonight - should be finished him 2morow nite hopefully. looking to have him textured by thursday. Will keep posted. Once again the armour and belts etc look a tad messy - but ill kill the extra tris and tidy him up a bit when i give him a head :)

Some orthagraphics...

[img]http://sumea.com.au/simages2/219_runnershots.jpg[/img]

A current render...

[img]http://sumea.com.au/simages2/219_runner7.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 04/03/04 - 7:06 AM Permalink

Heres a pic of what he looks like with a head, i decided to post this just to show you what it looks like before i tidy him up.

I think ill post a before and after shot.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_Runner11Hours.jpg[/img]

Im over budget by 18 tri's but im going to cull a whole bunch form the feet - also tidy up the hair / face, and add a bit more detail to the arms.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 04/03/04 - 6:38 PM Permalink

That looks great, a lot like the concept. You shouldn't have any probs getting rid of 18 tris. Just out of curiosity are you using edge map to render that thick wire. looks cool.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/03/04 - 9:58 PM Permalink

very well done, youve created the model of your concept quite expertly.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:37 AM Permalink

Hey bullet21 - edge map ?? ( is curious )[?]

The way ive done it is by creating a shape from the edges - making the shape rendereable etc etc - if thats what you mean - then YUP! [:D]

Moonunit - thanks [:)] Just curious, your name, Didnt Frank Zappa name his daughter MoonUnit ?? [;)]

Will post finished shot of tidied model with some more orthagraphics tonight [^]

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 05/03/04 - 4:58 AM Permalink

Nah, i mean a plugin called edgemap. It does the same thing more easy. Just curious who's frank zappa.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

whos frank zappa you ask??? why this is him!
[img]http://www.pure.cc/~hine/rock-2/zappa-photo.jpg[/img]

such a lovely photo dont you think? [:D]

anyway well done, most people dont pick up on the zappa thing, story goes my friend heard about it and thought the name moon unit was a great laugh and started callin me moon unit, it suck :P

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 05/03/04 - 10:56 AM Permalink

As promised heres the final character before i start uvw-mapping him.

Crap its taken me a while, but this is my first character model for a while now. im pretty pleased with how he came out [:)]

ive spotted a couple of edges in the mesh that need to be turned since taking these renders also :)

Thanks for the comments so far everyone [:D]

MoonUnit : Nice pic of Zappa - Hey at least your mate didnt call you Dweezle [;)]

Bullet21 : The method i use is pretty quick for rendering the wire - takes about 15 sec to set up - wouldnt mind seeing that plugin tho!

Orthagraphics...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_shots.jpg[/img]

Render...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_runner15.jpg[/img]

time to start giving him some colour....

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 05/03/04 - 6:24 PM Permalink

That's sickeningly awesome. 15 hours is pretty damn good as well good on ya hazard. Now hurry up and get it textured

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:12 PM Permalink

He turned out really well HazarD. The fixxed up version loooks a lot better :) Are you going for darker colours or more bright colours?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:47 PM Permalink

Bullet21 - Thanks man [:)] i thought that was pretty slow, im used to seeing guys post stuff like, " yeah it toook me 8 hours to model, unwrap & texture " either theyre kidding themselves, or im slow [;)]

But!... ill try " Hurry up and get it textured " [:D]

Aven - Its for a techno-apocalyptic world, so overall it will be brightly coloured, but still i want to try get across that this guy comes from a pretty doomy / gloomy world. Having good quality clothing / armour either means youve killed someone to get it - or your a damn good thief.

This will be my first attempt at painting a character with a tablet also, so looking forward to that!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 06/03/04 - 10:35 AM Permalink

damn well done man, specially if u havent done anything in a while

oh and that "techno-apocalyptic world" most people call that whole deal "cyber-punk"

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:37 PM Permalink

good translation from concept to 3D - a hard thing for many to master. good job hazard! [:)]

One thing - flip and clean up those edges and chuck on an stl check! I can spot several glitches you've overlooked from dealing in quads. Most obvious is the middle edge of the shoulder. Try going into faceted view and temporarily unhiding your edges.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 06/03/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

THanks J.I - yeah i noticed these (paticularly that shoulder one) and fixed em up after i did a render ( 20 minutes later on my old P3 700 ) [:(]

Its taken me about 6 hours to unwrap so far - just got the torso and head left to do, ill post a uvw wire when its up, im looking forward to painting as its by far my weakest point, but ill give it a good crack [:)]

Submitted by 0xBaaDf00d on Mon, 08/03/04 - 6:59 AM Permalink

Good to see you progressing with the model, dude.

I love the whole concept, Though like everyone cant wait to see ya texture the dude.

As for Cyber Punk, It deffinitely has that feel.

Nice work, I've said it before and i'll say it again..

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Thanks badfood, nice of you to comment [:D]

Just an update - im just starting to paint him today, so hopefully should have him up in the next day or 2.

Be warned - painting isnt my strength, so its probably going to look horrid! [:(]

Submitted by 0xBaaDf00d on Tue, 09/03/04 - 3:58 AM Permalink

Have faith in your own ability, Hazard. If you dont who will ??
I am Sure it will look sweet. Let us know f he's gonna be animated :D
I'd like to see him globber somebody :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 5:23 AM Permalink

Yup Am going to do a couple af animations, a Run cycle and a Throw / Pass Animation [8)]

I have faith, just...........its hidden and needs to be redicovered ... YEAH thats IT!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:22 AM Permalink

Heres an update on the texture so far, im about to spend another 4-5 hours on him as soon as i finish this post - that should see from his waist down near completion i think.

Oh the white glow around the bottom of his boots is cos i havent textured the base of his boots yet [;)]

Just started working on the stiching and whacked the base colour of his pants down as well.

still have to clean up some parts - but overall comments and crits so far ??

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_texture1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_texture2.jpg[/img]

Submitted by jacobt on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

It doesn't look horrid to me at all, in fact it looks really cool so far. The footwear has a really cool design, might be good to shift the colour of the sole a little to help differentiate between the two different materials (that is if they are different.) Keep going man!

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 11/03/04 - 2:04 AM Permalink

Good start there Hazard.
As for crits, the top of the boot has a harsh highlight around it that could be softer.
Also maybe some more lighting on the metal parts, at the moment there is only light on the edges (Maybe experiement with putting some browns into the metal, as this colour from the boots would reflect onto the metal as well).
A small highlight around the tip of the boot/sole would look good too.

Submitted by Idaho on Thu, 11/03/04 - 2:23 AM Permalink

Nice design hazarD, U might need to tidy up your unwrap around the boot area. it seems a little stretched in some areas. cant wait to see it finished though!

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Thanks guys [:)]

Jacobt - thanks man, im still trying to get the hang of this painting stuff. i gotta start somewhere tho right ?

Makk - the top of his boot has a strip of that lighter material running around it - its nota highlight - but now that you pointed it out - i migt put a bit of a shadow underneath the material strip to make it looke like its stiched over the top of the darker stuff. Also thanks for the note on the metal - ill try a few things [:)] and the highlight at the front of the boot is also a good idea, ill jimmy something up [:D]

Idaho - Yeah thanks man, i knida realised that when i started texturing. this is only the 4th model ive ever done - and only the 2nd ive ever unwrapped, its been quite a mission seen as how he is pretty complex. Unwrapping him gave me the shits, so i got a bit slack around some areas [:P] , i think if its THAT noticeable ill fix him up.

Overall though his boots and appearance is going to be quite rugged and dirty so a few stretches in the uvw might really fit in .... no ? .... ahhh alright [;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 11/03/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

yeah ive got a crit, dont say that your not good with textures, your doing fine mate :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Thanks Moonunit - i really appreciate everyones comments, ive only just recently decided to go hard with the whole concept/modelling/texturing deal as of late, so im still new, but if you guys say im doing ok, then i must have made a decent start !!

Thanks again guys - posting an update soon - iove got his pants and the stitching all done.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:14 AM Permalink

"painting isn't my strength" well i think for some one who doesn't have much confidance in their ability you are kicking arse, just, you got to believe in your self, man that sounds so corny. but it's true.

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Hey all , heres a character im working on for a friend of mines demo, still blocking out the rough shapes at the mo, so hes lookin pretty messy, will keep posted on how he finishes up.

I've got 3000 tris to play with and a single 1024x1024 texture sheet - hes a nice coder [8)]

Comments and crits welcome, im still pretty slow, hence the 5 hours so far and still not even finished [:p]

Model Sheet...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_Runner_ModelSheet.jpg[/img]

Model so far...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_Runner5Hours.jpg[/img]

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 02/03/04 - 12:01 PM Permalink

Looks cool. Nice and close to the concept.

It's a difficult style to pull off, and you're certainly headed in the right direction.

cheers

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 02/03/04 - 1:31 PM Permalink

Lookin' goood - the model looks better than the sketch! I don't know much (anything) about modelling but the basic forms look like they have been neatly captured.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 02/03/04 - 9:04 PM Permalink

Looking good, although the amount of tris in the shoes is pretty high compared to the rest of the model.
Even though youv'e got another 1350 tris I would keep an eye on that and maybe cull a few.

Watch the shoulders/elbows for deformation also.

Overall its looking nice and clean.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 5:44 AM Permalink

Awesome concept, i love the knuckle spikes, please keep us posted.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:31 AM Permalink

Smeg: Thanks for the confidence :)

JohnN: Ditto :)

Malus: yeah the boots are a bit tri heavy at the mo :) ill leave all the cleaning up till the end, which shouldnt be too far off.

Heres a bit of an update,.. didnt have much time to spend on it tonight - should be finished him 2morow nite hopefully. looking to have him textured by thursday. Will keep posted. Once again the armour and belts etc look a tad messy - but ill kill the extra tris and tidy him up a bit when i give him a head :)

Some orthagraphics...

[img]http://sumea.com.au/simages2/219_runnershots.jpg[/img]

A current render...

[img]http://sumea.com.au/simages2/219_runner7.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 04/03/04 - 7:06 AM Permalink

Heres a pic of what he looks like with a head, i decided to post this just to show you what it looks like before i tidy him up.

I think ill post a before and after shot.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_Runner11Hours.jpg[/img]

Im over budget by 18 tri's but im going to cull a whole bunch form the feet - also tidy up the hair / face, and add a bit more detail to the arms.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 04/03/04 - 6:38 PM Permalink

That looks great, a lot like the concept. You shouldn't have any probs getting rid of 18 tris. Just out of curiosity are you using edge map to render that thick wire. looks cool.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/03/04 - 9:58 PM Permalink

very well done, youve created the model of your concept quite expertly.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:37 AM Permalink

Hey bullet21 - edge map ?? ( is curious )[?]

The way ive done it is by creating a shape from the edges - making the shape rendereable etc etc - if thats what you mean - then YUP! [:D]

Moonunit - thanks [:)] Just curious, your name, Didnt Frank Zappa name his daughter MoonUnit ?? [;)]

Will post finished shot of tidied model with some more orthagraphics tonight [^]

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 05/03/04 - 4:58 AM Permalink

Nah, i mean a plugin called edgemap. It does the same thing more easy. Just curious who's frank zappa.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

whos frank zappa you ask??? why this is him!
[img]http://www.pure.cc/~hine/rock-2/zappa-photo.jpg[/img]

such a lovely photo dont you think? [:D]

anyway well done, most people dont pick up on the zappa thing, story goes my friend heard about it and thought the name moon unit was a great laugh and started callin me moon unit, it suck :P

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 05/03/04 - 10:56 AM Permalink

As promised heres the final character before i start uvw-mapping him.

Crap its taken me a while, but this is my first character model for a while now. im pretty pleased with how he came out [:)]

ive spotted a couple of edges in the mesh that need to be turned since taking these renders also :)

Thanks for the comments so far everyone [:D]

MoonUnit : Nice pic of Zappa - Hey at least your mate didnt call you Dweezle [;)]

Bullet21 : The method i use is pretty quick for rendering the wire - takes about 15 sec to set up - wouldnt mind seeing that plugin tho!

Orthagraphics...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_shots.jpg[/img]

Render...

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_runner15.jpg[/img]

time to start giving him some colour....

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 05/03/04 - 6:24 PM Permalink

That's sickeningly awesome. 15 hours is pretty damn good as well good on ya hazard. Now hurry up and get it textured

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:12 PM Permalink

He turned out really well HazarD. The fixxed up version loooks a lot better :) Are you going for darker colours or more bright colours?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:47 PM Permalink

Bullet21 - Thanks man [:)] i thought that was pretty slow, im used to seeing guys post stuff like, " yeah it toook me 8 hours to model, unwrap & texture " either theyre kidding themselves, or im slow [;)]

But!... ill try " Hurry up and get it textured " [:D]

Aven - Its for a techno-apocalyptic world, so overall it will be brightly coloured, but still i want to try get across that this guy comes from a pretty doomy / gloomy world. Having good quality clothing / armour either means youve killed someone to get it - or your a damn good thief.

This will be my first attempt at painting a character with a tablet also, so looking forward to that!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 06/03/04 - 10:35 AM Permalink

damn well done man, specially if u havent done anything in a while

oh and that "techno-apocalyptic world" most people call that whole deal "cyber-punk"

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:37 PM Permalink

good translation from concept to 3D - a hard thing for many to master. good job hazard! [:)]

One thing - flip and clean up those edges and chuck on an stl check! I can spot several glitches you've overlooked from dealing in quads. Most obvious is the middle edge of the shoulder. Try going into faceted view and temporarily unhiding your edges.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 06/03/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

THanks J.I - yeah i noticed these (paticularly that shoulder one) and fixed em up after i did a render ( 20 minutes later on my old P3 700 ) [:(]

Its taken me about 6 hours to unwrap so far - just got the torso and head left to do, ill post a uvw wire when its up, im looking forward to painting as its by far my weakest point, but ill give it a good crack [:)]

Submitted by 0xBaaDf00d on Mon, 08/03/04 - 6:59 AM Permalink

Good to see you progressing with the model, dude.

I love the whole concept, Though like everyone cant wait to see ya texture the dude.

As for Cyber Punk, It deffinitely has that feel.

Nice work, I've said it before and i'll say it again..

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Thanks badfood, nice of you to comment [:D]

Just an update - im just starting to paint him today, so hopefully should have him up in the next day or 2.

Be warned - painting isnt my strength, so its probably going to look horrid! [:(]

Submitted by 0xBaaDf00d on Tue, 09/03/04 - 3:58 AM Permalink

Have faith in your own ability, Hazard. If you dont who will ??
I am Sure it will look sweet. Let us know f he's gonna be animated :D
I'd like to see him globber somebody :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 5:23 AM Permalink

Yup Am going to do a couple af animations, a Run cycle and a Throw / Pass Animation [8)]

I have faith, just...........its hidden and needs to be redicovered ... YEAH thats IT!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:22 AM Permalink

Heres an update on the texture so far, im about to spend another 4-5 hours on him as soon as i finish this post - that should see from his waist down near completion i think.

Oh the white glow around the bottom of his boots is cos i havent textured the base of his boots yet [;)]

Just started working on the stiching and whacked the base colour of his pants down as well.

still have to clean up some parts - but overall comments and crits so far ??

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_texture1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_texture2.jpg[/img]

Submitted by jacobt on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

It doesn't look horrid to me at all, in fact it looks really cool so far. The footwear has a really cool design, might be good to shift the colour of the sole a little to help differentiate between the two different materials (that is if they are different.) Keep going man!

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 11/03/04 - 2:04 AM Permalink

Good start there Hazard.
As for crits, the top of the boot has a harsh highlight around it that could be softer.
Also maybe some more lighting on the metal parts, at the moment there is only light on the edges (Maybe experiement with putting some browns into the metal, as this colour from the boots would reflect onto the metal as well).
A small highlight around the tip of the boot/sole would look good too.

Submitted by Idaho on Thu, 11/03/04 - 2:23 AM Permalink

Nice design hazarD, U might need to tidy up your unwrap around the boot area. it seems a little stretched in some areas. cant wait to see it finished though!

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Thanks guys [:)]

Jacobt - thanks man, im still trying to get the hang of this painting stuff. i gotta start somewhere tho right ?

Makk - the top of his boot has a strip of that lighter material running around it - its nota highlight - but now that you pointed it out - i migt put a bit of a shadow underneath the material strip to make it looke like its stiched over the top of the darker stuff. Also thanks for the note on the metal - ill try a few things [:)] and the highlight at the front of the boot is also a good idea, ill jimmy something up [:D]

Idaho - Yeah thanks man, i knida realised that when i started texturing. this is only the 4th model ive ever done - and only the 2nd ive ever unwrapped, its been quite a mission seen as how he is pretty complex. Unwrapping him gave me the shits, so i got a bit slack around some areas [:P] , i think if its THAT noticeable ill fix him up.

Overall though his boots and appearance is going to be quite rugged and dirty so a few stretches in the uvw might really fit in .... no ? .... ahhh alright [;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 11/03/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

yeah ive got a crit, dont say that your not good with textures, your doing fine mate :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Thanks Moonunit - i really appreciate everyones comments, ive only just recently decided to go hard with the whole concept/modelling/texturing deal as of late, so im still new, but if you guys say im doing ok, then i must have made a decent start !!

Thanks again guys - posting an update soon - iove got his pants and the stitching all done.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:14 AM Permalink

"painting isn't my strength" well i think for some one who doesn't have much confidance in their ability you are kicking arse, just, you got to believe in your self, man that sounds so corny. but it's true.