Skip to main content

Citizen City - race course

Submitted by LiveWire on

Some pics from my race course for a Mario Kart style racing game a group of us are doing at TAFE. Hopefully we'll have a demo up for download this tuesday... hopefully.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_CCRender02L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_CCRender03L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_CCRender06L.jpg[/img]

I'd really appreciate some advice on this from professional mappers. I'm pretty confident in my character modeling skills at the moment, but this is only my third atempt at a level. the first i learn some stuff but never want to see it again, the second i learnt a lot more and am pretty happy with, and this i've learnt a lot more again and but will do several things differently.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 01/11/04 - 3:54 AM Permalink

its looking really nice, cant wait for demo :D

Submitted by Falco on Mon, 01/11/04 - 5:22 AM Permalink

This level looks awsome. I can't wait to see what the characters look like.

Hey LiveWire, have you got a website for your game up yet. Id like to get more information about it. My class at the AIE have also made a Mario style racing game.

[url]http://www.aie.act.edu.au/roachrage/[/url] Heres our website.

We will be entering it into the Best Unsigned Game catagory at the AGDC this year. If your game gets finished before then will you be entering it?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 01/11/04 - 7:29 AM Permalink

we certainly will, we should ahve the game at alpha stage by end of tomorrow so we can send it down. if all goes to plan it will be finihed for agdc and out exhibition in december (i'm at QANTM).

i'll post a link to the website once we give it a bit of a clean up. it's kinda hacky at the moment, we've been spending most of our time on the game. should be fixed up tuesday, hopefully.

edit: just chekc out yours. you have a real nice style going on there. i dont know how many they allow to exhibit in the comp but i'm looking forward to seeing what other students come up with. and now i' looking forward to playing your take on the genre.

Submitted by Gibbz on Tue, 02/11/04 - 12:23 AM Permalink

cool! what engine are you guys using there btw?

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 02/11/04 - 7:45 AM Permalink

Thats looking really cool LiveWire :)
I like that big statue thing in the middle of that first screenshot.
Looking forward to seeing some of the characters :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 03/11/04 - 6:51 AM Permalink

Horrah! We made out deadline and got it sent off to AGDC. Fingers crossed we get accepted now...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 06/11/04 - 11:21 PM Permalink

awesome, hope to see it at the AGDC!

Submitted by GioLancer on Mon, 08/11/04 - 8:36 AM Permalink

LiveWire what course are you going at TAFE?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 08/11/04 - 8:44 PM Permalink

i'm at QANTM actually, so not technicaly TAFE, but a TAFE course, so... yeah.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/11/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

nice, like the second guy especially.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 17/11/04 - 9:20 AM Permalink

Hah! *VERY* cool models livewire! Really like the green guy and the blue scaley bits on the blue guy.

I think both could use a tiny bit more with the depth and shadows - but really good effort for a small amount of time I think, being pressured and all [:)]

Submitted by GoLDeN on Wed, 17/11/04 - 11:47 AM Permalink

The level you have made looks really cool, reminds me alot of Diddy Kong racing..on N64, that had some great levels.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 17/11/04 - 8:14 PM Permalink

GoLDeN: i did a lot of 'research' with DKR and Mario Kart (classics!)

HaxarD: thanks. what do you mean buy depth and shaddows? are you saying shaddows are to flat or something? or not detailed enough? texturing is not my strong point, particualy shading of skin, so any help would be great.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 24/11/04 - 8:22 PM Permalink

horah! we've been accepted in the unsigned game comp. releaving new, now all we have to do is get it finihsed in the remaining 6 days...

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 25/11/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

Dont get me wrong i think the textures are pretty cool - they suit the look of the rest of the game so it might be a disadvantage to have them differ from the look of everything esle around the course.

I just mean that each texture could use maybe anoter pass or 2 refining depth, texture and lighting, putting some history into skin / scales etc.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 25/11/04 - 5:17 AM Permalink

thanks i'll look into that in the future. no time to change this one now unfortunatly.

Posted by LiveWire on

Some pics from my race course for a Mario Kart style racing game a group of us are doing at TAFE. Hopefully we'll have a demo up for download this tuesday... hopefully.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_CCRender02L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_CCRender03L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_CCRender06L.jpg[/img]

I'd really appreciate some advice on this from professional mappers. I'm pretty confident in my character modeling skills at the moment, but this is only my third atempt at a level. the first i learn some stuff but never want to see it again, the second i learnt a lot more and am pretty happy with, and this i've learnt a lot more again and but will do several things differently.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 01/11/04 - 3:54 AM Permalink

its looking really nice, cant wait for demo :D

Submitted by Falco on Mon, 01/11/04 - 5:22 AM Permalink

This level looks awsome. I can't wait to see what the characters look like.

Hey LiveWire, have you got a website for your game up yet. Id like to get more information about it. My class at the AIE have also made a Mario style racing game.

[url]http://www.aie.act.edu.au/roachrage/[/url] Heres our website.

We will be entering it into the Best Unsigned Game catagory at the AGDC this year. If your game gets finished before then will you be entering it?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 01/11/04 - 7:29 AM Permalink

we certainly will, we should ahve the game at alpha stage by end of tomorrow so we can send it down. if all goes to plan it will be finihed for agdc and out exhibition in december (i'm at QANTM).

i'll post a link to the website once we give it a bit of a clean up. it's kinda hacky at the moment, we've been spending most of our time on the game. should be fixed up tuesday, hopefully.

edit: just chekc out yours. you have a real nice style going on there. i dont know how many they allow to exhibit in the comp but i'm looking forward to seeing what other students come up with. and now i' looking forward to playing your take on the genre.

Submitted by Gibbz on Tue, 02/11/04 - 12:23 AM Permalink

cool! what engine are you guys using there btw?

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 02/11/04 - 7:45 AM Permalink

Thats looking really cool LiveWire :)
I like that big statue thing in the middle of that first screenshot.
Looking forward to seeing some of the characters :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 03/11/04 - 6:51 AM Permalink

Horrah! We made out deadline and got it sent off to AGDC. Fingers crossed we get accepted now...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 06/11/04 - 11:21 PM Permalink

awesome, hope to see it at the AGDC!

Submitted by GioLancer on Mon, 08/11/04 - 8:36 AM Permalink

LiveWire what course are you going at TAFE?

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 08/11/04 - 8:44 PM Permalink

i'm at QANTM actually, so not technicaly TAFE, but a TAFE course, so... yeah.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/11/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

nice, like the second guy especially.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 17/11/04 - 9:20 AM Permalink

Hah! *VERY* cool models livewire! Really like the green guy and the blue scaley bits on the blue guy.

I think both could use a tiny bit more with the depth and shadows - but really good effort for a small amount of time I think, being pressured and all [:)]

Submitted by GoLDeN on Wed, 17/11/04 - 11:47 AM Permalink

The level you have made looks really cool, reminds me alot of Diddy Kong racing..on N64, that had some great levels.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 17/11/04 - 8:14 PM Permalink

GoLDeN: i did a lot of 'research' with DKR and Mario Kart (classics!)

HaxarD: thanks. what do you mean buy depth and shaddows? are you saying shaddows are to flat or something? or not detailed enough? texturing is not my strong point, particualy shading of skin, so any help would be great.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 24/11/04 - 8:22 PM Permalink

horah! we've been accepted in the unsigned game comp. releaving new, now all we have to do is get it finihsed in the remaining 6 days...

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 25/11/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

Dont get me wrong i think the textures are pretty cool - they suit the look of the rest of the game so it might be a disadvantage to have them differ from the look of everything esle around the course.

I just mean that each texture could use maybe anoter pass or 2 refining depth, texture and lighting, putting some history into skin / scales etc.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 25/11/04 - 5:17 AM Permalink

thanks i'll look into that in the future. no time to change this one now unfortunatly.