Skip to main content

Playstation 2 mod chips ruled illegal

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Just saw this on Australian IT.. Seems that Sony has won the appeal against modifications to Playstation 2's - so modifying your Playstation 2 is illegal now. [}:)]

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6840638%5E15306%5E%5Enb…

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:32 AM Permalink

Just a small note...
Modifying your PS2 is NOT illegal, only the sale of mod-chips.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by tachyon on Fri, 01/08/03 - 10:22 AM Permalink

so modding your ps2 with a mod-chip isn't illegal, but buying a mod-chip is?

Submitted by souri on Fri, 01/08/03 - 10:28 AM Permalink

I meant that it would be illegal for stores to modify it for you.. which I could be incorrect there anyway..

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sat, 02/08/03 - 8:23 PM Permalink

This is bloody stupid
if they want to get rid of mod chips remove region locking from the ps2 then i wouldn't need to get one now would i.
What they are saying is if i want to do the legit thing i would have to buy 2 ps2's just so i can play import games as well as Australian games.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 02/08/03 - 9:02 PM Permalink

quote:
What they are saying is if i want to do the legit thing i would have to buy 2 ps2's just so i can play import games as well as Australian games.

In some places, importing is illegal - ie Britain. Their 'rationale' is that it harms the sales of games when they are released in PAL format.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sun, 03/08/03 - 11:59 PM Permalink

thats all good and well but what about the many games that aren't released in PAL and never will.
the .hack games come to mind for ps2.
I want to play them but to do so i will need to import either the US or Jap version of it because as far as i know it simply isn't coming out in PAL
and who really cares about UK when we are talking about Australia. I don't think it is illegal to import here.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 04/08/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

What if you buy a secondhand game off Ebay from say the US, would that be illegal if you were in the UK?

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:06 AM Permalink

Are the .hack games even being released in the US?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:13 AM Permalink

quote: ...and who really cares about UK when we are talking about Australia. I don't think it is illegal to import here.

Because if a game isn't coming out in the UK or European PAL territories, it sure as shit ain't coming our way either.

One of the reasons (read:excuses) for people to buy mod-chips is so that they can 'import games' (read: copy them). So even if you are modifying your PS2 to play import games, you can't even use that excuse. Ergo, neither can mod-chip sellers.

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

if this is there way of preventing piracy then there pretty naive. Can anyone say, "PS2 hard drive"?

Posted by souri on
Forum

Just saw this on Australian IT.. Seems that Sony has won the appeal against modifications to Playstation 2's - so modifying your Playstation 2 is illegal now. [}:)]

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6840638%5E15306%5E%5Enb…

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:32 AM Permalink

Just a small note...
Modifying your PS2 is NOT illegal, only the sale of mod-chips.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by tachyon on Fri, 01/08/03 - 10:22 AM Permalink

so modding your ps2 with a mod-chip isn't illegal, but buying a mod-chip is?

Submitted by souri on Fri, 01/08/03 - 10:28 AM Permalink

I meant that it would be illegal for stores to modify it for you.. which I could be incorrect there anyway..

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sat, 02/08/03 - 8:23 PM Permalink

This is bloody stupid
if they want to get rid of mod chips remove region locking from the ps2 then i wouldn't need to get one now would i.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 02/08/03 - 9:02 PM Permalink

quote:

In some places, importing is illegal - ie Britain. Their 'rationale' is that it harms the sales of games when they are released in PAL format.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sun, 03/08/03 - 11:59 PM Permalink

thats all good and well but what about the many games that aren't released in PAL and never will.
the .hack games come to mind for ps2.
I want to play them but to do so i will need to import either the US or Jap version of it because as far as i know it simply isn't coming out in PAL
and who really cares about UK when we are talking about Australia. I don't think it is illegal to import here.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 04/08/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

What if you buy a secondhand game off Ebay from say the US, would that be illegal if you were in the UK?

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:06 AM Permalink

Are the .hack games even being released in the US?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:13 AM Permalink

quote: ...and who really cares about UK when we are talking about Australia. I don't think it is illegal to import here.

Because if a game isn't coming out in the UK or European PAL territories, it sure as shit ain't coming our way either.

One of the reasons (read:excuses) for people to buy mod-chips is so that they can 'import games' (read: copy them). So even if you are modifying your PS2 to play import games, you can't even use that excuse. Ergo, neither can mod-chip sellers.

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

if this is there way of preventing piracy then there pretty naive. Can anyone say, "PS2 hard drive"?